Game-Labs Forum

Sound - Beat to Quarters

Simple suggestion:

When someone initiates a tag against your vessel, drummers begin 'beat to quarters' cadence that lets players know they are being attacked. This would be fairly useful if players are AFK sailing or if tags are being thrown left and right amidst the chaos of two fleets meeting in open world. You might also imagine someone hearing this and running back through the house to their computer as they rush to take up battle stations.

We already have things like bagpipes in the game which are immersive enhancements (though I'm not sure how commonly they were used on Spanish warships), but I'm trying to think of a way we can introduce simple sound additions to the game that have a real purpose.

Before a battle commences, the open world and the combat loading screen is awfully quiet in the game as it is now. It feels more like:

whisper: "shhhh . . . we're being attacked." /whisper "Shampooing the herring"

when someone tags you.

Drums had been used for centuries to give battle commands. Why are they not in game?

Edited by ajffighter86
  • Like 4

Checked volume, phone apparently used a different volume setting for the video. Now the Doctor's Office is at quarters. Please advise.

More seriously, I am of two minds on this:

1. We should encourage people to be alert in game. We reward their alertness, and punish their absentmindedness currently.

2. It would be immersive to have something like that, and it would be nice to have an auditory clue for when I am grabbing a bite, in the bathroom, or doing something else entirely.

If it were to play only during the loading screen, after the tag has completed, I think it might be a fair compromise between the two.

• Like 1

Checked volume, phone apparently used a different volume setting for the video. Now the Doctor's Office is at quarters. Please advise.

1. We should encourage people to be alert in game. We reward their alertness, and punish their absentmindedness currently.

2. It would be immersive to have something like that, and it would be nice to have an auditory clue for when I am grabbing a bite, in the bathroom, or doing something else entirely.

If it were to play only during the loading screen, after the tag has completed, I think it might be a fair compromise between the two.

I have removed the video, yes it was a bit loud, hopefully everyone here has seen enough movies to know what happened when ships were sighted and crews rushed to their stations.

Somewhat agree with alertness. By the time they apply the tag, you won't have had much warning. This is simply an auditory cue that you need to get your butt back to the computer, lol.

I've been attacked just in the short amount of time it takes to go make a cup of joe in the kitchen. Not a ship in sight when I left the room. Imagine me walking briskly back to my computer spilling coffee all over the carpet while trying to pour the creamer in.

I think it would be epic, to be honest, and add something to the game that makes it a bit more interesting. Not to mention all the wives yelling at you to 'turn down those damned drums!!!'

Besides, I don't think a crew would let captain sleep if enemy ships were engaging them.

I also see this as somewhat of a compromise for the people who argue that it takes too long to sail anywhere, without breaking the game by speeding things up. They can go on about their business knowing that at least they won't be stealth-boarded.

Edited by ajffighter86

That is true, but 90% of players are adults and have families. So, 100% awareness is not physically. possible.  :D

That is true, but 90% of players are adults and have families. So, 100% awareness is not physically. possible.  :D

Oh, I agree. I've done my fair share of AFK sailing as well whilst spending time with my fiancé.

Another point in favor of the drums going off only when combat starts: You only hear them once per fight, as opposed to every time a new person tags, or you reset a tag.

Once again if we add drums, or bagpipes, or shanty music, or crew dialog please, please, please for the love of high tides make it optional. Include a toggle to turn it off. Don't force it on those who prefer not to hear it.

Edited by Macjimm
  • Like 1