Game-Labs Forum

Bug? Pirates sailing under national colors

blademage

At port on the right side of the sail button you got a button which says Smuggler (something like that) tick that one and you will be seen as a pirate/smuggler so you can attack everyone (except your own nation) and everyone can attack you.

If you're on a trader ship and you got the smuggler button ticked you can enter any ports no matter which nation owns it.

If you hover over with your mouse on the box you will also get a tooltip which explains it.

Edit:

Everyone can attack you, but if you try to attack your own nation you will have to turn pirate to be able to do so.

If you then accept that you will turn pirate and you will have your national flag on,

Edited by Tomms123

unfortunately there are only two screenshots on my drive and they only show the pirates as they are. I didn't think it'd be important to take a screenshot or report before he turned out to be a pirate...

Should I send the screenshots, or post them without the names? They don't really show anything useful.

I don't want to blame and shame the pirates for tagging, which is allowed and a widely used tactic, that's why I asked if that maybe is a known bug.

I was not tagged smuggler, but was in my LeGrosVentre on my way to collect some cargo. A, at that moment, friendly Rattlesnake attakted me and tried to keep me tagged. When I entered the battle, the Rattlesnake was a pirate and had their clantag in front of his name and a pirate rank (Devil).

One non-bug possibility:

He really was on your team and attacked you. He got the "this will make you a pirate!" warning and accepted it. Then he loaded into battle as a pirate.

Never tried this myself but I don't think anything prevents someone from simply deleting their character, rerolling as a team (retaining all XP in the process), using that to sneak up on someone and attack them, turn pirate, and then repeat as necessary. With a second account or a friend to transfer stuff between (keeping your "pirate" account as minimal as possible, possibly just owning that 1 ship), it seems like it would be easy to do.

Although I'm not sure he'd have the clan tag in that case. Though I suppose he could be on standby to accept the clan invite the second he gets into the battle. Do you recall if he had a clan tag on the outside?

Just trying to think of a non-bug way to accomplish this. (The "bug" possibility being that he just showed up as the wrong thing on the open sea. Like that old bug where sometimes people don't show as any team at all.)

Scenario -

A pirate clan decides to wage a raiding campaign on the other side of the map. All their ship building is done by one pirate ship builder from a base on their original side of the map. He is the only pirate that stands to lose blue prints. So the plan is simple, they have a sponsor, perhaps a customer paying bounties, that agrees to supply the pirates with ships and a base across the map. Rather than sail all their crap across the map ALL pirates except the ship builder liquidate their stuff and give choice items to him, pirates staying behind and low level Alts. Then *poof* they make Swedish characters on the other side of the map. Sail to the sponsors base. The sponsor could be Swedish, French, Dane or Dutch and pick up their new ships and gold. Then maybe they play Swedish for awhile and when the time is right they just attack the nation they've infiltrated and go back pirate again keeping all they sponsor provided arsenal. Now if the attack was per plan to shift back to pirate at the time they attacked the gross venture. The clan tag may have already been prepared and a quick click could have instantly put him back in the original pirate clan.

Just one more reason players shouldn't keep everything when they go pirate. Still wouldn't stop this "infiltration tactic" but it would slow it down a bit. Not sure, when the game goes live, if we will still be able to keep xp when shifting nations. So it might take care of itself in the future. If one of the pirates was willing to make the sail across the map to set up the initial outpost for Sweden they could be their own sponsors.

Edited by Bach

I can't remember if he had the clan tag before. I really don't know because that moment I didn't care.

Sometimes I don't see names and nations (e.g. it sais "Bellona", seems neutral but is a friendly Captain).

If there are logs: My Captains Name is Elgered of Thoerne, This happened @ 07-06-2016 23:00 till 23:30 on PvP1-EU