Game-Labs Forum

realistic pursuit

Dunno if someone have already suggested it, but it would be a nice feature (and historically realistic too) if a ship in combat could drop offboard cannons and/or all of part of its cargo in order to enhance its speed. 

Moreover, the cargo could also be left floating in crates for some time so that the pursuer could take it, provided that it has a suitably low speed. So the pursuer will be put in front of a choice: taking the cargo left behind but risking to loose the pursuit or going for the ship, but loosing the cargo.

Maybe it's too complicated to encode, but it would be a nice added feature to the traders/corsairs pursuit game mechanics.

Edited by victor
  • Like 3

Dunno if someone have already suggested it, but it would be a nice feature (and historically realistic too) if a ship in combat could drop offboard cannons and/or all of part of its cargo in order to enhance its speed. 

Moreover, the cargo could also be left floating in crates for some time so that the pursuer could take it, provided that it has a suitably low speed. So the pursuer will be put in front of a choice: taking the cargo left behind but risking to loose the pursuit or going for the ship, but loosing the cargo.

Maybe it's too complicated to encode, but it would be a nice added feature to the traders/corsairs pursuit game mechanics.

the basis gamemechanic, said Cannonweight is in the game, diffrent canonloadout affects you draught and therefor oyur maxspeed, the idea i think is quite good, since if oyu drop your guns, you throw 10-30k into the water while trying to escape

I like the floating cargo idea.

However it would have to be tuned carefully... For example, you shouldn't be able to throw tons of logs over board.

And it should also not be immediately, it needs time to unload a ship.

Edited by mirror452

I like the floating cargo idea.

However it would have to be tuned carefully... For example, you shouldn't be able to throw tons of logs over board.

And it should also not be immediately, it needs time to unload a ship.

My bold emphasis above.

I agree. 

Tossing cannons and cargo weighing tons overboard should not be instantaneous---it should take time to do so, AND it would require crew members to do so.

If the captain issues an order to "Toss cargo overboard" and/or "Toss cannons overboard", then crew members should be diverted to doing so (as currently happens when should switch sails or guns on and off, or as crew members are diverted to repair parties and survival mode).  

If the captain gives the order to toss these things overboard, in the long run, it will gradually lighten the ship's load and increase speed, but in the interim, it will divert crew members from their normal functions, like sails or guns.