Game-Labs Forum

Make survival mode mandatory

The title says it all make survival mode mandatory, not deselectable. Alot of people use it for denieing the prises and exploding on purpose. I don't think this tactic was used much IRL, since it was kinda permanent. (And we are not talking about proper fireships here)

Alternativley add an after death penalty, for killing yourself and your whole crew on purpose. (i.e. take 2 dura instead of one, or take a substantial amount of gold to pay for the widows)

• Like 1

The title says it all make survival mode mandatory, not deselectable. Alot of people use it for denieing the prises and exploding on purpose. I don't think this tactic was used much IRL, since it was kinda permanent. (And we are not talking about proper fireships here)

Alternativley add an after death penalty, for killing yourself and your whole crew on purpose. (i.e. take 2 dura instead of one, or take a substantial amount of gold to pay for the widows)

Why should I as a captain not have the choice to decide the fate of my ship??, there are many exsamples in history where captains has destroyed there ship, to stop it for falling into enemy hands. So if you want to stop a captain destroying his ship and denying you your price. then my advice is, dont do as much damage, and board sooner.

• Like 2

Why should I as a captain not have the choice to decide the fate of my ship??, there are many exsamples in history where captains has destroyed there ship, to stop it for falling into enemy hands. So if you want to stop a captain destroying his ship and denying you your price. then my advice is, dont do as much damage, and board sooner.

You're not a captain from history though... you're a player in a multiplayer game.

You're not a captain from history though... you're a player in a multiplayer game.

I should still have the choice to surrender my ship or let it sink.  as I say in my first post, if you want to make sure you get the prize, take the risk and board the prize sooner. unless you are afraid to loose the boarding

• Like 1

I should still have the choice to surrender my ship or let it sink.  as I say in my first post, if you want to make sure you get the prize, take the risk and board the prize sooner. unless you are afraid to loose the boarding

Your advice is useless. If the only way to capture a prize is to make sure it is alone (friendly rams and sink), you never come too close (ram yourself and sink), never shoot round shot at it (random fire -> sink), best never shoot at all, and best of all - somehow board right away without preparing in any way or form...

... well, you just pointed out the problem there. If the boarder needs to mindlessly rush to board while at the same time somehow destroying boardee's friendlies to succeed, and at the same time boardee only needs to sit around and wait to get a chance to sink himself... that's a bad gameplay right there.

Taking risk is one thing, going through idiotic hoops with instant fail-state as soon as one (!!!) leak or spark shows up on the other ship is straight up idiotic.

Your advice is useless. If the only way to capture a prize is to make sure it is alone (friendly rams and sink), you never come too close (ram yourself and sink), never shoot round shot at it (random fire -> sink), best never shoot at all, and best of all - somehow board right away without preparing in any way or form...

... well, you just pointed out the problem there. If the boarder needs to mindlessly rush to board while at the same time somehow destroying boardee's friendlies to succeed, and at the same time boardee only needs to sit around and wait to get a chance to sink himself... that's a bad gameplay right there.

Taking risk is one thing, going through idiotic hoops with instant fail-state as soon as one (!!!) leak or spark shows up on the other ship is straight up idiotic.

I still stand with my point. if you can,t capture a player ship without the help of a forced on game mecanic you are not good enough to take in the first place. It should always be the players choice wether or not he will let ship be taken or be destroyed, or els they might as well but in a auto surrender that kicks in the moment you get attacked. and save the attacker the trouble of actually have to fight for the prize

• Like 2

Could u link me one or two of that many examples where an captain managed to keep his crew from putting out the fire on his ship to deliberatly eploxde it?

• Like 1

Scuttling a ship ashore, not in the middle of the big blue are two diferent things.

Examples of this bravado situations can be found in many brig/frigate exemples but always close enough to port to enable crew to be saved.

One striking exemple of - no you don't do as you please, crew are not automatons - is a admiral of the fleet being shot dead by his own men when he tried to ignite the gunpowder stores to blow up the ship as it was being boarded by the enemy fleet flagship.

• Like 1

It should always be the players choice wether or not he will let ship be taken or be destroyed

I will let you think on this for a moment.

"It should always be mine enemy who decides if he allows me to win his ship or if he will deny me".

Great design. If I didn't know better, I would think you're trolling.

I do not say make it impossible to deny your ship. What I'm saying is - it shouldn't be as easy as delicately bumping against other ship. It should be at least as hard to deny as it is to capture - and not super-hard to capture and based on dancing and pratling around the pray like a balerina, so that the prey doesn't as much as breaks a nail... because then it sinks and it's gg.

It should be a possibility to try and deny the capture - not a sure-fire "troll the guy" button.

• Like 1

This could be addressed by making the morale system much more  meaningful than it is currently.

As we captains are not bound (sadly most times) to sicle XVIII morals this has to be modeled somehow : 

Ships need to SURRENDER even without  boarding actions, history is full of those , and not precisely as "coward acts" but very honorable surrenders after extended combats.  

Morale level should not be visible to enemy of course buit should depend on ships floatation state, crew losses, and other factors... forbidding men to patch leaks should be a big minus on morale.

• Like 1