Game-Labs Forum

NA development / "pooling" players / brainstorming / open source

Having followed the discussion and development for a while on Steam and the Forums,

I conclude:

- the player base is dedicated, want to contribute and participate in the development of the game

- many intelligent "free-time" game developers and experts on special parts of the game are around

- Forums tend to be a "time" and "labour hour" sink for dedicated contributors

- many stop contributing as the discussion is not focused

- lack of information on the "state of development" of the game in particualr fields

- the process is "inefficient" in the way, as you could utilize "free labour hours" for the

game developing faster and better by organization and integrating the contributors into the game development

- everyone contributing on every topic is highly inefficient and will not lead to good results

I suggest the following:

- find ways to "integrate" contributors into the game development

- assign moderators / Admins to open certain subjects in development and let players "register" for this

special subject, that they can take part in a meaningful manner and commit in the long run

- a group of players "work" on a paper / suggestion to the developers, hand it in and get a feedback, finally,

they want to know why their contribution is being considered or rejected

- the developers still are the head of development, but they will create better INPUT by the player base

Any comments ?

Edited by Wilson09

In no way trying to be derisive here, but isn't that kind of what we do already here on the forums? I've seen a lot of suggestion posts make their rounds. Some extensively detailed and thought out, some less so. Some get picked up and discussed, some don't. Admin/devs reply to some, and don't on many. all of this regardless of length or thought (from what I've seen). This is the case for a lot of people who post suggestions here, including myself. In fact, it is probably the majority.

You can'r expect the one guy to sift through every single solitary suggestion and reply immediately on it (due to what is and is not being worked on at the time) I figured it was just the nature of the beast. 

clicking on it...Sorry, we couldn't find that!

As an example...I take the introduction of the 1.5 anti-ganking system...

i) There is a huge difference, how much "brain" and time I am willing to spend,

knowing I am getting "heard" in the end or not...

ii) a single person may not be succesful working things out on his own...moreover not knowing

what the current state of development is. In "academic" life, a single person will not do much research on his own,

only group of experts contribute meaningful content...

iii) no developer can keep track of everything what is being posted here...

= waste of time

Edited by Wilson09

There is already a hidden section for people with the Tester tag were they discuss all their secret thingies.

So here's the real question, what separates those players who have the game, are testing it (sending in bug reports) participating in the discussion (here on the forums or Steam), from those considered "Testers" who are, at the most basic, doing the same thing?

Is it a time thing; only players who have been here since Sea trials or before or some such?

Do those with the "Tester" tag get preference when posting in the suggestion forum? What does it all mean Basil?!

Sorry, we couldn't find that!

It is exactly what you suggested. A focused part for development and brainstorming.

As an example, the 1,5 system is a ongoing test which everyone can ... test.

All of us have our own views on how it is working. The trick is to dettach ourselves from our own individual experience regarding the system and see it from a overall perspective trying to reach to all and cover details and possible exploits.

No William. The preference was backing of the project from the start and anyone at this stage may be selected given certain conditions.

If anyone is selected, well that someone is granted access. Simple as that.

It is a clean place but has nothing out of this world, just more to the point regarding certain aspects of the game.

clicking on it...Sorry, we couldn't find that!

i) There is a huge difference, how much "brain" and time I am willing to spend,

knowing I am getting "heard" in the end or not...

ii) a single person may not be succesful working things out on his own...moreover not knowing

what the current state of development is. In "academic" life, a single person will not do much research on his own,

only group of experts contribute meaningful content...

iii) no developer can keep track of everything what is being posted here...

= waste of time

While it is true that no developer can keep track of everything, you do have mods which is always ever watching which help with the finding of good topics, and also the earlier mentioned "testers" on the forum.

• Like 1

I suggest the following:

- assign moderators / Admins to open certain subjects in development and let players "register" for this

special subject, that they can take part in a meaningful manner and commit in the long run

- a group of players "work" on a paper / suggestion to the developers, hand it in and get a feedback, finally,

they want to know why their contribution is being considered or rejected

----------------------

----------------------

I can only speculate about the development being in process.

But still, 2 suggestions not being answered?

Assume, I want to contribute to the peace & war mechanics (or any other subject)

I´d consider any serious contribution on Forums being futile as a written fully worked-out statement

takes a lot of time.

If there is no proper "call for papers" you will not get meaningful content.

Why not let "testers", moderators upen op the development and subjects ?

If someones says, "we are currently working on this", any suggestions welcome...it is pretty pointless

to work on something as you only build your "own" castle, given

the economic environment of "incomplete information" you are working in.

Can never be efficient.

Edited by Wilson09