Game-Labs Forum

Captured trader ship holds

Currently when you capture a trader, in most cases, you either have to take command of the vessel or dump some of the cargo. I suggest making it so the captured ships cargo hold can be utilized. Basically it keeps whatever cargo in its hold, and takes it back to whatever outpost you send it to. The lack of this feature makes it very tedious to capture traders, as you have to return to port on basically every capture.

• Like 1

Capture a LGV and then use it to capture other traders. Its hold is big enough to handle all the captured cargo you can handle.

Valid point, but I enjoy using smaller ships like the privateer for this. It enhances the immersion experience quite a bit, as this would be something a privateer would have been used for in a lot of cases.

Lost a lot of immersion last patch with taking away cap of ai warships. Just looking for a place to get a little immersion back (give and take right? Lol), and it seems silly that this isn't already done. Since it is a little unrealistic that the captured vessels hold must be empty to send it back to an outpost.

• Like 2

Capping an LGV is a real challenge, especially with something small like a Privateer.

I never used a Privateer, but captured an LGV without taking any shots from his 20 guns (I'm sure plenty others have too).  Just takes time and sailing prowess.  Stay behind her and slightly to side and chain the sails until it slows enough for more accurate shots, then take out all masts with balls, directly from astern being best bang for buck.  Then he can't do anything.  After that just sail right up to his stern and slightly to either side and grape the crew until you get his 280 or so crew down to a manageable size.  Then board.  Be sure not to get too close to him before cutting his crew down, because he may board you and take you instead, or kill most of your men before a narrow escape. ;)  Anyway that's my method, I'm sure there are better and/or quicker ones.

• Like 1

Currently when you capture a trader, in most cases, you either have to take command of the vessel or dump some of the cargo. I suggest making it so the captured ships cargo hold can be utilized. Basically it keeps whatever cargo in its hold, and takes it back to whatever outpost you send it to. The lack of this feature makes it very tedious to capture traders, as you have to return to port on basically every capture.

My take on the suggestion in the original post is that:

1. I agree it is tedious.  If you're hunting with a Mercury for example, you typically run out space during the second trader capture.  Rarely can I pop 3 without returning, and in that case the loot was lousy.  This is why I typically hunt traders very close to one of my outposts.

2. I would alter the suggestion to make it so that if you captured a trader but wanted to continue on hunting with no cargo space left, then you could use a combination of your ship's hold and the captured ship's hold, but you need to keep the captured ship within your fleet to sail back to a port with it; no "sending" it.  This would in turn affect your rate of sail in the OW, and also show up to other ships eyeballing you on the water.  They would know potential loot is available, so added incentive for PVP.  This can extend to PVP too I guess, but it's just a response to the trader ship question.

• Like 2

My take on the suggestion in the original post is that:

2. I would alter the suggestion to make it so that if you captured a trader but wanted to continue on hunting with no cargo space left, then you could use a combination of your ship's hold and the captured ship's hold, but you need to keep the captured ship within your fleet to sail back to a port with it; no "sending" it. This would in turn affect your rate of sail in the OW, and also show up to other ships eyeballing you on the water. They would know potential loot is available, so added incentive for PVP. This can extend to PVP too I guess, but it's just a response to the trader ship question.

+1

I think this is a good idea, personally I play a lot on pve and when I play pvp I don't do things like trader hunt so the pvp aspect a no factor for me, but I still like the idea. Even in purely pve I like the idea, I think it would add even more to the immersion experience, which is what I'm really after here.

In fact maybe this idea could be employed to some extent with capped warship and provide an avenue to bring at least some of that back, no warping them back, gotta tow them back to port to claim your prize.

:)

• Like 1

This also peeves me. I like any suggestion that solves this. I don't see why the captured ship can't be sent back to the capital or outpost with all cargo.      However

perhaps it would have more immersion if each full capture needed one of the coming officers to take the prize home? I assume the officers will have bonus' to add to ship, so that might be another element to balance sending home an LGV with tons of cargo against shooting or bailing a little better? and we could all, just like the game, ignore the crew issue.