Game-Labs Forum

Captured ships should have a random penalty

We are revolving about the availability of free captured ships like 3rd rates and the impact in the economy and the big picture.

Well, what are you doing to cap a ship? You pretty much wreck it, no? So even if you repair it, it shouldn't come out like brand new.

Besides the "1" durability that should be a no brainer (i still don't get why ships have more than 1 life) they should inherit a random penalty to be determined at the end of the battle.

This captured ship might have a random penalty in percentage: less speed, less armor, less space for crew, less turning ratio, whatever. Big enough to not be even out unless  you use exceptional upgrades maybe.

Captured ships should be a "last resort" resource rather than the current "omg free ships lol". Still good to be sailed, still better than nothing, but not "the way to go".

I think the durability penalty is significant enough.

Captured ships were often refitted and improved upon as necessary after their capture anyhow. I think the problem you should be focusing on here more is the availability of captured 3rd Rates, though to be frank, I have seen three times over this past weekend from my clan's perspective how devastating it is for a massive fleet of 3rd Rates to go against a fleet of 1st Rates. While captured 3rd Rates are certainly available at an unprecedented rate, they pale to achieve much when outclassed and outgunned. Against a well-prepared enemy that is risking a lot in comparison to your 3rd Rate captured fleet, you will almost definitely lose without much contest.

• Like 3

Usually your own ship (at least mine!) doe not stand in much good standard than the captured...

I understand the commom interest in discourage easy captured...  but this seems not quite  right  historical or gamewise...  pirates should have most his ships by capping  and  (big IMHO here) national should  not be allowed to retain prizes above an sloop or little frigate.

• Like 1