Game-Labs Forum

Sail depictions on AI Target ships - PvE

Server: PvE

Problem: AI Traders or multi-sailed/masted ships incorrectly depicted SAILS for speed settings

Situation: encountering a Trader Brig/cutter/snow (any of them) ... and pull along side of them. Your ship is cruising at 80-100% sails and is matching the speed of the target. You shock the crew or deal a devastiating blow to them, then without drastic change to their sail configuration,  (other than the top most upper sail on each of the masts and most forward bow-sprit lowering - on Brig and Snow) the target ship slows to a COMPLETE STOP. You drop your sails to 0%; and the target slowly starts to come back alongside. With NO sail changes. Then once it gets about to the 80% mark, alongside your boat, it catapults into FULL speed. Again -- with NO change in the sail settings.

* Note: the ONLY sails that change at all, are the top most canvas on each mast, and the forward most canvas on the bow-sprit.

This is regardless of the damage status of the target ships sails. I have had them down to <50% sails, and they STILL blow past my boat, without changing anything to the sail configuration, going from a complete stop (or even dead slow) to FULL speed, that takes me 100% sail to catch back up to them. 

Suggestion .... please change the settings to the sails to be more in-line with the speed setting of the ship. If it is going to drop to stop ... make them lower ALL their sails to represent this. If they are in-between (20-80%) please make them show these settings appropriately. Currently the only indication I have for their speed (besides my own) is to watch their relation to my ship. Otherwise I have no indication of whether they are slowing down, or speeding up. 

Thanks,

-Yank

Sounds like packet loss.

Packet loss? please expound.

All I see are the top most sails roll up, and the most forward triangular sail go down. The ship slows to a crawl or stops, and then without a change to those aforementioned sails.. starts to pick up speed. Then when it reaches alongside about 75-80% of my hull, it jettisons into full speed, as those last sails (mentioned) finally move to open up again.

The ONLY indication I have about the change in speed, is its relation to the side of my ship.

So, you are saying this might be a download issue .. like a corrupted file or something? I have  a new Graphics card and CPU -- am running this game wit medium graphics (which are fine with me) at 30-35 ping, and 23-30 FPS (30 FPS in battle) -- should I be setting the in battle FPS higher?

Thanks,

Are you paying attention to the yards and closure angles? Do you have frequent desync or high ping?

Because I haven't noticed any of this, really. It's usually just my vessel that's making rapid speed changes.

Closure angles.... I am almost alongside the ship.. maybe about 100 meters away, and in parallel -- as I am intending to board it, eventually.

Yards? .. you mean yardarms? or distance from my ship to the target. IF the latter... I am less than 100M away and running parallel to his course.

I have noticed this since I downloaded the game. Thought it was just how it was originally programmed/developed.

Appreciate any insights though.

Thanks

Sounds like high ping to me.  I've had that happen occasionally, especially when my internet is sluggish.

My Ping sits steadily around 30-45 ... I don't think it is a ping issue. That does not seem high enough to elicit those kind of effects. I would expect some issues if I were in the 100's or higher .. but NOT with a less than 50 ping. Frame rate is above 25, with medium settings. With the "IN-Battle" frame rate set at 30 fps.

DO you think I need to put it on the higher "FPS" settings for the "IN-battle" option? NOT sure if that would be the issue .. but will be checking that tonight.

So, what yall are telling me though ... is when the target AI ship is alongside you, and you have reduced your speeds to less than slow speed <60% sail, or even a dead stop (o% sail) and the AI is going slower than you, that the AI drops all their sails too? Not just the top most ones and the most forward of the sprits.

I am still kicking this around with settings... but nothing is changing.

Thanks again for yalls suggestions,

-Yank