Game-Labs Forum

Assist kill requirements: relative to ship size? (What about sails?)

Problem:

New players in small ships have a hard time getting assist credit, especially in PvP. (In PvE we can purposefully slow down just to make sure they get credit but in PvP that's not reasonable.)

Solution #1:

Make assist credit be relative to ship size. Like maybe 3rd rate vs 3rd rate, you need to do 20% damage to get assist credit but Snow vs 3rd rate only needs to do.....5%?

Solution #2:

Make sail damage count more and count for assists in general. If the Snow deals 20% damage to someone's sails and the 3rd rates end up catching up and killing it as a result then really the Snow should get an assist. The kill couldn't have happened without him! Sail damage is pretty easy to do but seems like it should count for assist credit.

Hopefully this will make it easier for guilds to bring in new players and have them enjoy the game much quicker than now.

• Like 1

I'm not sure assist rewards are intended to powerlevel you.

Assist on third rate is 250 exp, 12500 gold... can't exactly pay that out for doing a mere 100 damage with a cutter.

BTW, 20% and 5% of what? In order to get assist reward, you already need to do around 5% of the overall armor value. Third rate sails around with 22k armor, 1k damage is enough for assist.

I don't think the idea here is to get assist credit for doing 100 damage with a cutter, but there have been plenty of fights where I demasted an enemy and got a puny amount of XP as a reward (and no kill or assist credit because destroying masts apparently is not considered "damage" worthy of kill credit).

It's like the game is punishing you for choosing to use a fast ship to make other ships slower, so that the slow-but-heavily-armed ships in your group can swoop in and take all the credit.  And XP.

But that's exactly what the math said. If the threshold is lowered by factor 4, a hundred damage or twohundred will give you assist on a third rate.  Assist threshold is already very low. Sail damage being too low is an entirely different issue that is just related to this.

i can assure u that sail damage is counted towards the kill/assist score.  But the damage per salvo is usually less compared to what u can do with ballshot on armor.

for the fun of it i actually went into a missions with some friends and all i did was rip the sails of one third rate (ended up at like 40% sails which was around 4k damage or so)  and all i did was chain shot  and i did end with an assist..

overall for PvE the current system is just fine, in my groups everything from snow and up could always manage to get the assists. 

In PvP however it can be a little more tricky since u dont realy want to give the target the extra time to live that ur snow might need for the damage. . Maybe the sail dmg could/should count more in PvP battles.

something definitely needs to be changed to help lower level players that contribute.  When you are the smallest ship, the big ships get all the xp and you dont progress at all.  FOr sure the sail hits needs to count in PVP

Edited by Diggled