Game-Labs Forum

UI SUGGESTION - planning and executing (synchronising)

thekev506

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• Yes!
    • No!

Hey all,

Quite a simple one but something I think could be useful for people who like to play UGG a little on the slow side (like me.)  It would be nice to be able to synchronise manoeuvres more complex than group-formation stuff - I might want to organise a large attack whilst my cavalry relocates to a vantage point at the same time, and sometimes I'm not quite nimble enough with my mouse to do this properly.

Here's my fix: a 'plan' order and a 'execute' button.  Holding down a key - let's say alt - when putting a movement down makes it a 'planned' move, with the movement arrow staying on the map.  On pressing a key - say 'X' for now - the unit(s) act on their 'planned' movements.

This could have a bunch of applications, such as pre-arranged fallback points, coordinated flanking moves with a direct attack, or being able to keep your reserve out of harm's way but available to call up without taking your eyes off the action.

What do you think? 

I'm not certain your proposal (as I understand it) resolves the problem you've stated.

Is this a game speed thing or a planning thing?

For game speed I'd favor 3 dynamic speeds in the game:

Slower

Medium

Normal

Game always starts in normal speed.

For players that need more time they have that option.

As their dexterity increases players can increase the speed to fit their style.

Also when units are moving long distances you don't want to sit there while the game crawls along.

Or maybe you do?

This way, if there is a particularly intense action, the game can be slowed down a bit and played without the "pause" key.

I agree the game should really not be a click-fest.

Additionally, sometimes it is still difficult to select the unit you want.

Corps Commanders and artillery batteries in particular are often difficult to select.

I'm still having to hit "pause" to select units periodically.

Three clicks on a unit then "pause" is my normal metric.

Select the unit, give the order, then deselect pause.

Planning maneuvers is a bit more complex - I think.

Generally when planning a coordinated movement the first thing I do is stage the units roughly where they belong in my plan.

Once organized I group them and execute the order.

I suspect that unless your troops are properly staged that you might still have the problem with the "plan" and the "execute" order.

If you need to stage the troops anyway I guess I don't understand the improvement.

It just seems like a different mechanic.

Not better. Not worse. Just different.

Not a speed thing - I think the game's pacing is right in the sweet spot now, I'm actually referring to my own clumsiness and being slow planning movements because I'm a bit crappy at RTS games sometimes  :P

Staging wouldn't be particularly helped by this, you're right, I just think being able to prepare an order and have it ready to go on your mark could offer the tactical flexibility a quicker player may have without having to change the speed of the game.

thekev506,

This "batch ordering" feature would seem to me a bit anachronistic in the pre-radio era.

Coordinating moves was largely a LOS issue during the ACW.

While prearranged signals were sometimes used the plan often as not went haywire.

For example, Stuart positioned the CSA cavalry behind the Union lines on Day 3 in the hope that they would pick up the remnants of the AoP after Lee's Charge at the Union Center (Pickett's Charge).

The signal was to be Stuart firing two signal guns.

The signal guns were fired which attracted the Union cavalry.

The result was the East Cavalry Field three miles Gettysburg.

Thanks for your post...

You've finally defined the term, "arcadey game" in terms I can understand.

Arcadey Game - Game requiring rapid and high-precision mouse dexterity to play successfully.

Also known as a click-fest.

You can issue orders while the game is paused, then they will all happen when you unpause.

Alot of us do this but in multiplayer that will probably not be an option.

Id like to see a series of way points that can have functions in them, move to point "A" rotate to a

firing position, fire, fallback to "b" adjust position, option to fire or standard function buttons or fallback to "c" hold position etc...