Game-Labs Forum

Randomized Alliance/Neutrality/Hostility - Short Term Gameplay

What do you guys think of introducing some basic alliance mechanics for the short term development of the game.

The game sets up random Allies/ Neutrals/Hostiles for every nation.

US for example gets 3 Allies/4 Enemies/ Rest neutral.

During that randomized assigning of Nations the US and its allies are tasked with accomplishing some missions in a specific time period.

Certain Examples include the destruction/capture of SOLs, capturing resources, and defending/attacking ports. After the time period is up the side with the most tasks accomplished is determined to be the victor and gets double xp/gold for a day or two. The alliances/hostiles/neutrals reset and the whole thing starts over again.

• Like 1

No, a random system should not decide how I or my clan diplomatically conduct ourselves. There is already such great diplo going on and room for much more (even the Spanish could regain their former land, ok maybe that's a stretch, but still)

Diplomacy mechanics binding one nation in one political direction is one of the main issues right now. So yes we should talk about this.

It would be very good if you can handle this with something like a voting system. So you can do diplomacy but without the frustrating fact some guys are kein on making their own way of life... or better name it way of war...

Edited by Jonathan Arlington

Well technically since colonial conflicts were tied to European politics, this might be a fun mechanic. One month it's France and U.S. in a war against Britain and Denmark, then continental politics shift, Denmark drops out of the war, France invades Spain, Sweden kicks off its own war against Denmark, etc.

Next month, everything changes. Could be fun. It would constantly challenge players and stop one country from running unchecked on the map.

• Like 1

Well technically since colonial conflicts were tied to European politics, this might be a fun mechanic. One month it's France and U.S. in a war against Britain and Denmark, then continental politics shift, Denmark drops out of the war, France invades Spain, Sweden kicks off its own war against Denmark, etc.

Next month, everything changes. Could be fun. It would constantly challenge players and stop one country from running unchecked on the map.

Yes indeed.

While I like this idea we should flesh it out a bit so here are my thoughts

The political situation in the Carribean should be driven by imaginary events in Europe so how do we shape that.

Europe in the time period was a hot bed of upstarts and warmongers who wanted nothing more than to expand thier borders though most country's had stable borders with most of thier neighbours war in Europe means war in our own theatre so to drive this the devs will need to create an algorithm that randomly generated unrest in Europe leading to war between nations.

The period of war between nations is driven by several factors.

A. The chance of political solutions ( randomised) 15:1

B. Aggressive acts (randomised) 20:1

C. Military stance created by perseived unrest in neighbouring country's(randomised) 15:1

D. Military standing in the Carribean generated by the factions represented there. This could be how many traders or NPC'S of a nation are Attacked or stopped by patrolling war ships. This is a percentage driven chance that is combined with the randomised events above.

How does this affect the gameplay for us? I hear you say.

By these events combining to make war I think we would be looking at say a period of war say 2 weeks in which ports could be capable or defending. During this time anything goes open world pvp battles, port battles NPC farming all out war between the 2 nations involved. Now if one of these nations is allied with another then the allied nation may be able to assist but this would have possible political fallout in the home nation possibly dragging the assisting nation into war.

Once the war has finished again this could be randomly decided but the 2weeks of war is the minimum the randomiser could add a further 7 days to the campaign depends on how quickly the packet ship bringing the message that the war was over took to arrive from Europe.

Once the war is over there is a minimum period of rest and recuperation allowed of say a week this should help alleviate the element of burnout I am hearing players complaining about the constant port battles for 8 hours a day is driving many away from the game.

But this does not mean your warring may be over because all of a sudden you might find yourself at war or on a potential war footing as another nation makes moves in Europe.

Forgive my ramblings and poor grammar sitting writing this and not reading back on a tablet.

• Like 1