Game-Labs Forum

Locking a Ship to a Nation

Just an idea that I think would make it more palatable for people to put ships on the market for sale: the ability to lock them to a particular nation (they cannot be traded to another nation).

A French player who wants to put ships on the market knows that literally anyone can make an alt, buy the ship and sail it against France. Most people counter this by simply not selling ships on the market. They only do individual trades face to face so they know who the buyer is.

What if, instead, we could lock ships to a nation? If I lock my ship to France, it cannot be traded away to a pirate or a Brit, etc.

"What about captures?"

Capturing still works like normal -- if someone wants to use an alt to buy a French ship and then capture it into 5 separate durability ships (each of which will lose all of their repair kits and upgrades the first time they sink) then I'm okay with that. That important thing is that they won't get fully functional 5 durability Trincomalee out of it.

It's not total proof against ship trading but it's a significant barrier and seems like something that would be very easy to do.

If you WANT to market your ship internationally, you would just not check the "Lock Ship" box.

Edited by Slamz
  • Like 1

This is unrealistic and pointless. I've been trading ships in and out of nation using free ports and alts ever since I started playing and I feel it promotes international trade and balances out the markets. Most ships on the market are way over priced anyway... So such trades are usually done player to player to begin with.

I've imported several Trincos to pirates back when they were priced close to a million gold by our "fellow" pirates... Other nations were selling them for 250-400k all over the place. Capitalism at its best.

I've actually wanted to sell golden ships to anyone. Can't, though. The shops steal 40k and up for an open transaction. So, I've only sold ships to ppl I know.

Wouldn't it be good for the economy to help crafters sell expensive ships to anyone?

I feel for the non crafters who almost never see a proper good ship in the stores.

Wouldn't it be good for the economy to help crafters sell expensive ships to anyone?

That's why I'd like to see the change: so crafters feel more comfortable selling ships on the market.

I know some people have no qualms about selling Trincoms to the enemy but I detect a lot of hesitation when I suggest more people start selling ships on the market. It's especially confusing to newbies who look at the market and simply don't understand why there aren't more quality ships there, and arranging meetings with ship builders for a personal experience usually isn't very convenient for either party.

Reducing market fees for ship sales could well be another topic too.

Ultimately I just want to see more ships out there for sale and would like to remove these various hang-ups that are keeping some builders from doing it.

Edited by Slamz