Game-Labs Forum

Faster teleports at a cost to the player?

It's a REALISTIC Naval simulation game - do away with the crappy teleports altogether, did Sir Francis Drake have a teleport - i think not - if you want teleports etc - go play World of Warcraft, what next? Enchanted Cannons? sheesh....

Alright.  Keep to realism.  If you get stuck in shallow water permanently with your personally-crafted Exceptional Frigate, I expect you to stay there stranded.  Only way out will be to blow your character's brains out by deleting them.  Sounds good for a situation that occurs in an alpha game.

Just get rid of the teleports, did nelson have a teleport?

Definitely not.

On the other hand, he didn't have three to five dura on his warships, wasn't able to repair instantly, and he most definitely was not able to cross the Caribbean in 3-4 hours.

So what we're discussing is not 'realism'. It's levels of abstraction, which have to strike a balance between being fair, being fun and being in theme with the game period (which is what is mistakenly viewed as realism).

So what should be discussed is: does it make for a better game?

Frankly a four-hour teleport with your ship and cargo doesn't make for good game design, in my opinion. It removes the OW from a large part of the eco assuming you craft in your capital, which a lot of people do. It deters the game mechanics of having eco and OW be part of the greater national strategy. This could conceivably be on a much longer timer than now.

Conversely, having to wait four hours between jumping between ships in outposts seems unnecessarily harsh. All people are doing here is trying to be where the action is at, which should be win for everybody. Having this on a one or two hour timer would be a huge improvement in my opinion.

• Like 1

That depends on where on the map you are. If you want PVP... Sail to the frontlines. If you want constant PVP without long ways... Join Sverige.

Focus your energy on one part of the map. You don't need to be everywhere at any time.

I agree with this, no one should let their passing fancies sway them by some random gust of wind. If one decided to go trading, crafting or whatever one should  live with the decision. It's part of being a captain.

Next time one can coordinate where to be to join a battle. This works in EVE Online just fine. Everyone coordinates large scale battles or chance upon them. I find that and opportunity attacks quite thrilling.

Note: I do get why people enjoy the teleporting options. Hope a good midway decision can be struck.

Edited by SeaWolf

Why all nations? There are many war zones on the map... Ever nation has its own war zone. And these war zones are spread over the whole map. And... if you call the pvp between Denmark and Sweden "not valid" (the only war zone I am interested in atm), then I have no idea what else you want.

Edit: And these war zones are even shifting, like for example the French-Dutch war. France pushes deeper and deeper into Dutch territory, which changes the face of the frontline constantly.

I agree with this, no one should let their passing fancies sway them by some random gust of wind. If one decided to go trading, crafting or whatever one should  live with the decision. It's part of being a captain.

Next time one can coordinate where to be to join a battle. This works in EVE Online just fine. Everyone coordinates large scale battles or chance upon them. I find that and opportunity attacks quite thrilling.

Note: I do get why people enjoy the teleporting options. Hope a good midway decision can be struck.

Yeah, sure. Problem is players, or at the moment, lack of them. You can plan and coordinate, but there's not the amount of players that are available in EVE online. I'm saying the distance and the lack of players create a need for speedier transports if we want an active game in terms of RvR, and players interested in RvR or PvP will be limited to areas where other players are. Moving across the map is a strain on this, and once this game go public, there will be an influx of new players. Now, if a majority of those players consider this to be a strain my guess is a majority of them will drop out, and we will still be sitting with the same problem: too few players and too large a map.