Game-Labs Forum

DirectX 12

Joe Spivey

I'm getting various codes infact hardly ever the same code twice. I've just been looking at the web and it seems that the 970 has memory issues using anything over 3.5GB. Maybe it is this that is causing the BSODS. Anyway, a dxdiag shows that I'm using DX12 so I might have to roll back yes?

DXdiag will show the most recent capable version. DX12 is retro compatible with 11 so no issue there for sure.

If you wish to work in advance and check the error code you have the entire table here [link] and what it relates to.

Any doubts, ask away.

Ok, lets see. I've had: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL also  KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION for sure (others ring a bell but I'm not as sure. I'll keep a log lol). The IRQL error I've had most often and the latest was the system service error. I've only just updated to win10 from win7 but I was getting these BSODS on both (they were the reason I upped to 10). I've reinstalled drivers and I've even re-seated the 970 and memory sticks just to make sure. I'm out of ideas now and not technically minded enough to go much further so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Made any hardware changes before the errors ? Can even be peripherics.

Can be a faulty driver though I wouldn't bet on it or more players would have similar issues.

Edit: does your motherboard have built-in graphics by any chance ? If it does please make sure some update did not enable it ( check bios and then system devices ) and you have two drivers running the same service ( graphics ).

No hardware changes. I pretty much bought this computer a couple of months ago just to play NA. No new peripherals at all. Just keyboard and mouse. NA is the only game I'm having problems with. Elite Dangerous runs fine, so do older games.

Edited to add. Game runs fine on my other PC, win7 with a GTX 460 (lower settings of course) On the 970 it doesn't matter what settings I use. Thinking of that, I had a bug on the 970 PC where the sea didn't render and the game worked fine then. Now the sea is back and its all gone pants again.

Edited by Joe Spivey

Check edit btw.

Anyway for a fresh start I would run a memory check just in case. Control Panel > Memory.

Second attempt, uninstall all the nvidia stuff. Let the system come up and reinstall the latest stable.

Thanks, I'll do the above and get back.

Ok, job done.

BIOS had 'addon ROM display' enabled so I disabled that.

Memory check showed no problems.

Uninstalled all Nvidia stuff and reinstalled the latest 970 driver.

Firing up the game and going for a sail (fingers crossed)

Well, circumnavigated Jamaica... now to try some pew pew
:D

And it was going so well :( Total screen freeze and system locked up. Screen went blue but didn't even get a message up.

ok, second combat... no crashes. Looking hopeful

Two battles with no crashes. I think we may have cracked it. Many thanks to all. Hopefully this is sorted now. Hethwill, if I had an xmas card list I'd put you on top :)

Could you please try to set Compatibility with Windows 7 on the both client.exe and client_,exe files (here \SteamApps\common\Naval Action)

There is no actual option set compatibility. Only an option to test compatibility and to run the game with 'recommended compatibility'. However, this does not tell me what this recommended setting is.

There is no actual option set compatibility. Only an option to test compatibility and to run the game with 'recommended compatibility'. However, this does not tell me what this recommended setting is.

1. Go to \SteamApps\common\Naval Action
2. Right click on Client.exe file and select Properties
3. Select the Compatibility tab, then check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
4. Select Windows 7 and hit apply