Game-Labs Forum

A few ideas

Hi,

I have been reading the forums and came up with a few ideas for this game as well. Some may prove to be too demanding (both time and hardware -wise) but I just couldn't help but ingonre the "voices in my head" saying "I'd be sooo cool if...". ;) Here we go!

1. All crew members (abolutely everybody on board) to have criteria/statistics such as:

Name: First and Last ;)

Vitality: Able (100% of the capabilities below) / Wounded (50% of the capabilities below) / Dead (0% of the capabilities below)

Sailing: 1 - 10

Cannons: 1 - 10

Fighting: 1 - 10

The mix of those would influence e.g. the speed at which the sails are set and cannons loaded etc. Loosing sailors would lower the overalla ability of the ship to sail and figth (bare in mind, I am not talking about sinking the ship - with this model it would be possible to kill 90% of the crew and render the ship defenceless and unable to do anything).

2. There are exactly as many 3d modelled sailors visible on board as the ship is carrying.

3. Me, as the captain can go everywhere on the ship: from the top mast to the lowest deck (they are all modelled).

4. Captain's Cabin is my personal "heaven" with a bed (speeding up time), log books etc.

5. Speed, course and position of the ship are determined by the tools from the era (forgive me for not knowing the proper names in english which is not my native language but as far as I remember wood log was dropped to the water and it was measured how long it took the ship to travel past it [speed determination] and sextant was used to find position in regards to stars).

6. Stars have to reflect the real night sky.

7. I would like to feel that even sailing a small (20 men?) boat requires a lot of work..

8. This one is wild ;P I'd like to be able to "jump" into any sailor on board and play as him while the computer takes over the command only to continue to do what the player was doing (following a course, etc.). So, we would be able to "jump" into the sailor on the mast looking for enemy ships, get down (not follwo the order to stay), "jump" into being the Captain and punish the sailor with 10 whip slashes and lastly "jump" into the body of the boatswain and exectute the punishment. :D

9. I'd like the orders to be verbally passed on to the crew: Captain gices the order to the boatswain, he then shouts to the corresponding teams etc.

I hope not all of those will end up in the bin and that you liked at least a few. ;)

Thanks for reading!

name for any sailor would be an problem same as an 3d model ships like victory can carry up to 800+ man no this in a 25vs25 and bye bye makes your hardware.

but the names would just repeat itselft too fast to be usefull.

shouting orders dont we have some generic sound of the crew allready that we can hear on the youtube videos.

but i'm sure you mean something more in teh Silent Hunter direction.

point 8 would be not really needed and would take to much time. this game is about sailing not about an tiny small individum of the many who sailed back then.

full walkable ships are wanted sure but then there is the performance reason on massiv scale battles. not to mension that it takes alot of time doing the decks right since there are normal not many detailed plans of the inside. just ask here Bava about his french Pantheré or if you cant find him here over at piratesahoy.net.

he had to do alot of research to find answers to these questions:

is the side cabins that you can see on the sides of sterns walkable or just dekoration

is the midle window of the cabin with an uneven number of windows real or just dekoration because the rudershaft goes up there.

just to make sure you know what i mean on this one i show you an example:

HMB Endeavour 1768 of james cook

http://www.piratesahoy.net/attachments/059-png.16792/

I love the ideas Belphe but unfortunately i think many of them will be to demanding especially if the goal is to get the game released. You could compromise with your naming ideas by not naming the whole crew but having the ability to name the officers.

I like your idea for a more realistic model for crew deaths and injuries as it relates to performance but I'm afraid it may be to demanding on a 30v30 fight but then again I'm no expert.

Good ideas though.

• Like 1

he had to do alot of research to find answers to these questions:

is the side cabins that you can see on the sides of sterns walkable or just dekoration

is the midle window of the cabin with an uneven number of windows real or just dekoration because the rudershaft goes up there.

just to make sure you know what i mean on this one i show you an example:

HMB Endeavour 1768 of james cook

Sorry, but these are ridiculous reasons for not making the ships walkable. Of course not every closet needs to be walkable and I also don't foresee having to use the in-game privy much, but at least the upper decks can be made walkable, right? Just the big flat parts: not every corner inch has to be defined. How hard can it be?

I also really don't see how performance will be affected by players moving their camera along the deck of their ship. Whether or not there will be an actual captain-avatar moving along with the camera is up for debate, but personally I wouldn't even care about that. Just give me the impression that I can walk my ship by letting me move my first person camera across the decks.

I assume the picture of the ship above is one of a ship cleared for action? The bulkheads separating the gallery from the rest of the ship are missing. 

Edit: Nice model all the same, as you say it's low detail. I would also like to be able to move my camera about my ship, but I don't know if it's really worth it. I won't be using first person when I'm in battle, and seeing as open world isn't coming for a while, maybe it's not worth the time just yet? If we're going to walk about the deck, lets do it with an actual avatar. It may mean waiting a bit longer, but I think it's worth it.

I really like points 5. and 6. Belphe, not least because all the time I look at Naval Action I also see a realism mod based on such a beautiful engine :)

I think much of what you suggest might be outside the realms of possibility if the game is ever going to be finished, but the devs have said that they are open to NA being modded. For all the pros (personalisation) and cons (divided community), it is mods that you'd be most likely to see things like fully modelled crew or vessel interiors. So, don't be disheartened by what we've said, but get Unity and start having a play :)

Baggy

I really like points 5. and 6. Belphe, not least because all the time I look at Naval Action I also see a realism mod based on such a beautiful engine :)

I think much of what you suggest might be outside the realms of possibility if the game is ever going to be finished, but the devs have said that they are open to NA being modded. For all the pros (personalisation) and cons (divided community), it is mods that you'd be most likely to see things like fully modelled crew or vessel interiors. So, don't be disheartened by what we've said, but get Unity and start having a play :)

Baggy

I do apologize but.. what is Unity? OMG, is NA "playable" already somewhere, somehow for the "common folk" such as myself?!?!?!

Unity is the engine they are using to power NA. There are a number of testers playing it atm but it is pve and pvp matches not open world as of yet. It is in testing. The devs have said that they are aiming to have early access purchases in a couple of months.