Game-Labs Forum

Thunderstorm

I know we can't have huge waves due to the waves being synced between OW and the combat instance or something like that but what about some serious and epic lightning and thunder visuals and sounds? I think the game is really missing this...

11 minutes ago, Lz3 said:

disregard the sync and add big waves, I don't see a reason for it to be in sync in the first place.

Well it would be weird to have 5 meter high waves rolling around during calm weather... maybe they can make it more dynamic with the new engine but i wouldn't know.

Edited by Landsman

1 minute ago, Landsman said:

Well it would be werid to have 5 meter high waves rolling around during calm weather... maybe they can make it more dynamic with the new engine but i wouldn't know.

no. if an area currently has a storm of varying level there can be a varying storm in battle. You don't need to sync up waves for that, just something as simple as

IF OWHeavyStorm = true

then BattleHeavyStorm = true 

or 

IF OWCalm = true

then BattleCalm = true

6 minutes ago, Lz3 said:

no. if an area currently has a storm of varying level there can be a varying storm in battle. You don't need to sync up waves for that, just something as simple as

IF OWHeavyStorm = true

or 

IF OWCalm = true

then BattleCalm = true

Is this possible with the updated engine @admin @Ink ?

14 minutes ago, Landsman said:

Is this possible with the updated engine @admin @Ink ?

You don't need any engine for that at all. Example: facebook.com has a mobile format. If the user is using a mobile phone, it loads the mobile page. If the player engadged in heavy seas, it loads a heavy seas battle

Edited by Lz3

14 minutes ago, Lz3 said:

IF OWHeavyStorm = true

or 

IF OWCalm = true

then BattleCalm = true

It isnt as simple as that.  Not with the current game engine.  And I have experience with the current game engine because it is basically the same one as Kerbal Space Program, and I have done modding for that game.

20 minutes ago, Lz3 said:

Why not just disregard the sync and add big waves, I don't see a reason for it to be in sync in the first place.

Because the waves have to be sync'ed so that if one person shoots a wave, it registers on both ends there is a wave there so no shots shall pass through it.

Just now, Hodo said:

It isnt as simple as that.  Not with the current game engine.  And I have experience with the current game engine because it is basically the same one as Kerbal Space Program, and I have done modding for that game.

Because the waves have to be sync'ed so that if one person shoots a wave, it registers on both ends there is a wave there so no shots shall pass through it.

1.  It is as simple as that. It's just loading a certain scenario. There is already code that says if the player is in a storm, you just need to add a bit of code that checks if that code is currently true and then loads a corresponding battle scene.

2. OP said OW was synced with battle waves. Of course the battle waves need to be synced, they already did that with rough seas before. 

None of that sync'ing amounts to a hill of beans if the wind isn't addressed in storm battles.  It should be violent and unpredictable, and should impact your ship in a big fashion, otherwise you're just making the waters choppy and your opponent(s) less visible.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1