Game-Labs Forum

Control of Port Battle Fleet Size

What do people think of giving a clan that controls a port the option to decide how many people can join their PB.

Suggestion: An option in the town management section where a clan can choose between allowing in 15, 20, or 25 people on each side for the PB. 

Important notes

-If a port gets flipped for a PB, it isn't possible to change the fleet size. 

-The fleet size is the same for both the attacker and defender.

-The fleet size changes will take affect at server reset (similar to taxes now).

-The selected fleet size is displayed on the port information when using the map.

Id like to know what other people think about this. I know that nations and clans come in all sizes, so I think it could be interesting if there is some ability to customize the fleet size for your PB. I think 15 should be the minimum though, so it is still a large fight.

Opinions?

Edited by Guest

I would second this if the forts/towers were removed from smaller PB sizes as well.. A 1st rate PB with for example 2 forts and 1 tower strategically situated the attacker would be at an even larger disadvantage if the PB size were set at 10 or 15 and 1 slot were taken up by a mortar brig.

I agree with liquicity and elite delta.  I think clans should be able to choose how many people can be at the port battle on each side and pay a one time fee (per battle) too to add defensive forts. Maybe allow the attacker to pay for a wind advantage or positioning advantage.

Edited by Malachy

I don't think the towers need to be adjusted. The regional capitals all have 2 square forts and 2 round towers, the normal towns have 1 square fort and 2 round tower. A mortar brig can make quick work of these fortifications, and can then be used against the enemy ships. It may be hard for a mortar to hit a single ship while sailing, but if the enemy choose to sail in a line, a mortar can be pretty deadly. 

1 hour ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Wait what? So you want to decide how many attackers can hit you? How does that make any sense at all?

Well its already limited to 25 even though sometimes there are 50 - 100 defending players outside the port? how does it make sense to not let them join aswell? because it wouldnt be fair at all.

Edited by Liq

2 minutes ago, Liq said:

Well its already limited to 25 even though sometimes there are 50 - 100 defending players outside the port? how does it make sense to not let them join aswell? because it wouldnt be fair at all.

not the same one is based on game mechanics.. this is based on wanting to control the attackers. Warfare isn't fair.   What next you get to dictate ship type different from what the port design is? or spawn in location and starting wind? the Devs have already given in on the limited PB window. 

1 minute ago, CaptVonGunn said:

not the same one is based on game mechanics.. this is based on wanting to control the attackers. Warfare isn't fair.   What next you get to dictate ship type different from what the port design is? or spawn in location and starting wind? the Devs have already given in on the limited PB window. 

You are controlling the attackers on the same level when setting the max number of attackers possible to join to 25 or 15?

1 minute ago, CaptVonGunn said:

The Players are not the ones deciding it is 25 attackers and 25 defenders.. that is a Game design.. Allowing the Defender to make his life easier by reducing this number for no reason other then because is a Care Bear move and nothing more..

And here its being suggested to adjust a game mechanic because after all its an alpha where testers are meant to suggest stuff ? :)

I think it'd be great to have more variety in Port Battles. Nothing to do with carebear

• Like 1

Oh I know. and testers are also allowed to comment on why they think it is or isn't a bad idea .. which Is what I did..   Variety would be historical Squadron mixes in the fleets on both sides...  but that is something I never expect since it would mean everyone couldn't sail a 1st rate into a lineship battle

4 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

Oh I know. and testers are also allowed to comment on why they think it is or isn't a bad idea .. which Is what I did..   Variety would be historical Squadron mixes in the fleets on both sides...  but that is something I never expect since it would mean everyone couldn't sail a 1st rate into a lineship battle

Just to be clear, the suggestion would change BOTH the attackers and defenders. They would always have the same amount.

I can see a situation where a clan could want the limit to be 15, and others were they could want it to be 25.

If the clan controlling the port is on the smaller side, they night want to avoid having to rely too heavily on allied clans, and would probably want a smaller attacking/defending fleet. 

If the clan controlling the port is large, they might want the limit to be 25, to allow more of their members access to the action. Or, maybe they want it smaller if they are constantly getting attacked and need to spread out their fleet.

More than anything my suggestion is to create a bit of diversity, and to help clans of all sizes get a piece of the action.

Aussies don't need the defender side to be limited to 15, they just need more time to deal with all the enemy ships.

937F1C42151472258F3694E572A23892E61193C8

I keep trying to explain to Aussies how RvR works.

"Good day chaps, you are going to need 25 ships to take over Islamorada."

"Was the c*nt talking about!? We only need 13 to give'em a good spanking."

"Well gentlemen, you want to capture the port right?"

"Yeah, let's go!!!!" (ruffle stomping & unfurling of sails follows)

"Hello? Hello? Anybody?" Ah crap....

4 hours ago, EliteDelta said:

Just to be clear, the suggestion would change BOTH the attackers and defenders. They would always have the same amount.

I can see a situation where a clan could want the limit to be 15, and others were they could want it to be 25.

If the clan controlling the port is on the smaller side, they night want to avoid having to rely too heavily on allied clans, and would probably want a smaller attacking/defending fleet. 

If the clan controlling the port is large, they might want the limit to be 25, to allow more of their members access to the action. Or, maybe they want it smaller if they are constantly getting attacked and need to spread out their fleet.

More than anything my suggestion is to create a bit of diversity, and to help clans of all sizes get a piece of the action.

I get that.. but it is still in any reduction the defenders dictating what the attackers can bring... I though the friends can join a battle was designed to allow all size clans to get in the action?

Edited by CaptVonGunn