Game-Labs Forum

Add rivers/lakes

4 hours ago, CaptVonGunn said:

huh? Where? not a lot of Lakes and Rivers in the area of the current map that would have been used by ships this size. The one in Florida is questionable as is

I have still yet to go into that one though.  I was thinking that would make a killer base for any clan that wants to only live out of shallow water ports/ships.   Other than the neck of the river can be blocked off by another clan.   Maybe I'll make a trip up that way before the patch hits.

Well certain nations were Infamous for there use of shallows/shallow water ships. For example the Dutch dealt a good amount of damage to the combined Anglo-French fleet that they had to retreat near Texel. But also local knowledge of shallows would mean u had a chance to stay safe. There have been reports of experienced captains making use of shallows, to evade or ambush people. And from a strategical standpoint a river can be easily defended by a single fortress if placed correctly, but at the same time very easily being blocked off by the enemy if need be.

But that can also mean that for example Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Russian ships (for a certain extend) would come very useful in those scenario's while a open water battle say at sea a Spanish, English and French ships would more useful.

Just to give u guys an idea what I mean: 

Bucentaure 80 gun, 1803:

length of gundeck: 55.5m

breadth: 14.3m

draught (forw): 7m

draught (aft):  7.8m

Admiraal de Ruyter 80/90 gun, 1806:

length of gundeck: 54.9m

breadth: 14.3m

draught (forw): 5.9m

draught (aft):  6.2m

Also take in account that the shallow ship nation which I mentioned earlier tend to have a flat belly instead of a keel/fin 

Before i forget to mention the ships are both from the 1800's

Edited by pietjenoob
  • Like 1