Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedack 0.75

Nick Thomadis

1 hour ago, Luckybluemoon said:

5.  Enemy skirmishers are way OP at later levels.  Have you ever seen 5000+ snipers running around?  They eat all my units alive before my units can even spot them.  Even Cav and my own skirmishers have difficulty because as soon as my units enter melee, all the units around them turn and gain flanking bonuses.

7.  20-pnd Parrots still suck, especially when we loot so many. 

8.  Maybe this is a game mechanic and not a bug, but has anyone lese noticed that a batteries efficiency goes down once it's size gets larger than around 13 guns?  Had a 3-star 24-pnd Battery with 24 guns set up next to a 2-star 24-pnd battery.  3-star left with 1200 kills, 2-star with 3600.  Huh?

5. Yeah, they're gross. I just try to bullet catch with detached skirmishers and move a lot of cavalry into the area to run them over simultaneously. Even force melee with garbage skirmishers to tie them up temporarily is fine.

7. I still have no idea what is wrong with these guns for them to be crap after 2 rounds of buffs.

8. I've seen that posted before. It might be either a reload issue or a turning issue slowing them down between target acquisition, because the larger batteries definitely turn slower.

1 hour ago, vren55 said:

... what... what happened with the game? That's sooo weird.

Did you actually play out to July 4th? Or did you wipe out the CSA force earlier?

My playthrough I intentionally left units alive to draw out the days to collect more kills, but there turned out to be a lot more than I thought.

19 hours ago, Hitorishizuka said:

8. I've seen that posted before. It might be either a reload issue or a turning issue slowing them down between target acquisition, because the larger batteries definitely turn slower.

I'm not sure.  I set them up at 2nd Manassas blasting away at the 1st row of the Confed Fortification.  In the open, clear grass between them.  The smaller, less experienced battery did approx. 50-70 hits every volley.  The larger, more experienced battery was lucky to hit 30 per volley.

AI for this patch has improved its tactics somewhat making 'easier' battles more challenging.  Nice work.   Retreat direction issues are almost completely solved although you still sometimes see an initial retreat toward the enemy or a more exposed area instead of away from these dangers.  Again, much improved on this, the improvement is noticeable.  

Here's the two opportunities I still wish to share and have used F11 to report the first one.  The second one I am not sure if it is a bug or just an opportunity.

1 - Units sometimes 'forget' their orders after a phase transition.  For example if you order a charge right before the next phase of the battle begins, you will find your brigade stationary, but its charge cool down burned. 

2 - low morale units not retreating or falling back.  It is frustrating to see a unit hang in the fight too long, taking on additional damage, when you cannot order it to fall back but it does not break and run, either.  Units in this state also tend to fire their weapons much less frequently or perhaps not at all.  I am not sure the intention is to have an inoperable unit.  

Today the best solution is to either move your general there to boost morale and regain at least movement control of the unit (so you can order a fall back) if not control over the firing of the unit... or conversely moving your general away from that unit, so that it breaks and runs instead of staying in its inoperable state. 

Thanks for reading and keep up the great work.

3 hours ago, Don't Escrow Taxes said:

2 - low morale units not retreating or falling back.  It is frustrating to see a unit hang in the fight too long, taking on additional damage, when you cannot order it to fall back but it does not break and run, either.  Units in this state also tend to fire their weapons much less frequently or perhaps not at all.  I am not sure the intention is to have an inoperable unit.  

Today the best solution is to either move your general there to boost morale and regain at least movement control of the unit (so you can order a fall back) if not control over the firing of the unit... or conversely moving your general away from that unit, so that it breaks and runs instead of staying in its inoperable state. 

I have noticed this too.  I think the low firing is to show low morale making it so soldiers just fire blindly rather than on mass volleys.  It does seem rather odd that I can lose control of a unit that is simply standing and fighting.  Maybe fright makes them not want to move?

Nice to see an expansion of UG Gettysburg. UG Civil War is definitely worth the money even in early access.

Has no one said anything about the 'figures' being even smaller in UG Civil War than they were in UG Gettysburg?

Is there any plan to increase them even slightly? I have tried adjusting the graphics options to no avail. I have new computer glasses but it still is a great strain on the eyes.

It would be so nice to see the figures just slightly bigger and with uniforms appropriate to the Brigades.

Thanks for the great work!

29 minutes ago, Lannes said:

Nice to see an expansion of UG Gettysburg. UG Civil War is definitely worth the money even in early access.

Has no one said anything about the 'figures' being even smaller in UG Civil War than they were in UG Gettysburg?

Is there any plan to increase them even slightly? I have tried adjusting the graphics options to no avail. I have new computer glasses but it still is a great strain on the eyes.

It would be so nice to see the figures just slightly bigger and with uniforms appropriate to the Brigades.

I think you need glasses fam.

16 hours ago, Lannes said:

To be honest small not too detailed soldiers are a great way to keep CPU requirements low enough and allow smooth battles. And il lack the mass effect. Now true there could be a few more details and i am sure when the devs use their engine for a napoleonic game (it will happen I am sure), they will do so...

I alway play at maximum zoom out, I never get tight enough to even care about the size or the detail(s).

Again the argument for "individual unit uniforms" receives the same response, by 1862 both governments had issued standards of specific uniforms, and great effort was put into production of those specific uniforms so that even state issued uniforms matched the federal government standard.  There were no individual distinct uniforms after those regulations were issued.  

• Like 2

And the main issue is a CPU issue, keeping detail level low enough allows the game not to be too demanding. Some graph gems like the latest total war series require a war horse to be played on, whereas this game works super on a traveling man's work laptop, which is a big big plus.

• Like 1

A feature that I would like to see added at some point is the modelling of actual artillery guns rather than the current abstract way of modelling through manpower. I have found in my games to date that counter battery fire is not very effective and this may be that in order to knock out a gun you must first kill all 25 men, which at long range is very difficult. If the guns were modelled then you could knock out the gun with a single hit rather than just whittle down the manpower.

The spotting mechanism for guns could be changed to make them visible at longer range, I find there is no point buying long range guns because you very rarely get to use your range advantage because you can't see your targets and accuracy is so poor it takes forever to disable your target. This would make a big difference in battles like Malvern hill and Fredericksburg.

I would also like to see cavalry be penalised when fighting in woods. They should suffer a negative combat penalty in melee in woods and forests to replicate the real life difficulty cavalry faced not being able to fight effectively because of trees getting in the way, breaking up formations, preventing effective charges.

At long last I had the occasion to play the game.

Legendary ofc.

Wooooow ! First battle as CSA : defeat : one of the artilleries just fled away and got behind a line of yankee, and I was too exhausted to reach it in time. EXCELLENT!

At the beginning of the battle, I sent my skirmisher unit far forward to intercept the two infantry units coming from the west. Guess what ? The AI took its own infantry unit (that usualy camps in the fort all the battle long) and brought it out to counter push me. So my skirmishers where on the moon while my two columns were having a hard time in the wood trying to overcome the enemy skirmishers. This was really great, as I had got bored of playing this battle again and again with the same tactic.

I tried a second run and, while playing more cautiously, I achieved victory. Normaly, even on hard, I should have ended up capturing ALL enemy units. With legendary on, I had to play CAUTIOUSLY & to camp the fort at all cost, while micromanaging the cavalry unit to make (unsuccesful yet diverting) raids on the enemy artillery and general. I lost 2411 out of my 4000 men, nearing 2/3 army casualty for the first battle.

At long last, challenge is here, and you definitely feel you'll have to play cautious, avoiding to push your advantage too much. And I love that. Thank you Darth.

I have compared UG Gettysburg with UG Civil War.

1. The graphics on UG Gettysburg are very much clearer. UG Civil War is blurred.

2. The little soldiers are bigger in UG Gettysburg.

Why?

PS. My Corps Commander always remains at the same rank, Colonel, which is the game level at which I have chosen to start.

3. The game level and the Avatar's rank should not be tied.

PPS. Should I start a new thread for all these questions, DEVELOPERS?

Edited by Lannes

1 hour ago, Lannes said:

I have compared UG Gettysburg with UG Civil War.

1. The graphics on UG Gettysburg are very much clearer. UG Civil War is blurred.

2. The little soldiers are bigger in UG Gettysburg.

Why?

PS. My Corps Commander always remains at the same rank, Colonel, which is the game level at which I have chosen to start.

3. The game level and the Avatar's rank should not be tied.

PPS. Should I start a new thread for all these questions, DEVELOPERS?

Probably because it is still a pre-release work, and not a finished product?

2 hours ago, Lannes said:

Move your avatar to a division command or even brigade command to gain exp faster.  Put a different Brigadier General in charge of the Corps until you are promoted to Brigadier General.

I don't know if it is a bug or just a feature of the game but in the minor battles after stones river for my confederate brigade general campaign I am facing huge ai brigades of 2800 men with the biggest brigade in my army having 2000 and the average size being 1600. 

The battle of Rio hill is horrific I suffered so many casualties it is one of the few battles were the casualty figures between me and the ai was almost parity. I did capture over 1000 Spencer's though.

18 hours ago, Admiral666 said:

3. Your general does gain experience and get promoted. If it's not happening on your end, that's a bug, and I recommend you report it with F11.

Also, why "DEVELOPERS?"

Why? Because I would like an answer from people who know the game as they have created it.

Thank-you for your reply.

17 hours ago, General Kazden said:

Move your avatar to a division command or even brigade command to gain exp faster.  Put a different Brigadier General in charge of the Corps until you are promoted to Brigadier General.

Thank-you. I didn't know if I was supposed to be Colonel for the rest of my career. :)

17 hours ago, A. P. Hill said:

Probably because it is still a pre-release work, and not a finished product?

Thank-you. Yes, that ìs a possibility. It would be nice to know though rather than speculate.

Seriously devs, WHAT THE hello kitty IS WITH THIS 4 SHOCK CAVALRY BRIGADES IN THE DEFEND SUPPLY MAP? Do you seriously feel that forcing players to detach skirmishers and dancing endlessly against skirmishers cavalry in previous patch not hard enough? Now the AI not only have more troops, more cannons, but also more of shock cavalry so that instead of having to fight the player, now they're going to just press the "Charge" button to have an auto-win? Seriously if you don't hotfix this pile of shit then I'm off with this game.