Game-Labs Forum

Give Player-Constructed Ships more Durability than NPC-ships

Durability  

99 members have voted

1. 1. Should player-built ships have more durability than NPC-built ships to make player-built ships more advantagous and marketable?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (will explain in post)

I think they will overhaull the economy and it might give a totaly new life to ship building. When you reduce the dura of ships, people will take less risks in their exceptional frigates or whatever. And the economy would need to pump out more resources to replace all these lost ships.

I would like the ability for costum made ships, or ships above "basic" to get their dura replenished. Like they would have hoisted the ship up a dry dock in a harbour and replace and fix parts in the AoS days. But it would take a huge amount of time to do this. Like a week or more for every dura. And a player would have to bring resources to the harbour with the dry dock every 2-3 days. If the day comes we can give our ships names, I would find myself getting a bit attached to a ship.

Like all the fights you fought with it, and I would consider putting allot of time and effort in replacing the dura to keep sailing the thing. Nice addition would be to show how old a ship is, how much ships it sank, how much time it has been sank. How much crewkills or something. Give it a bit of a status and reputation...

Why is this arcade-boys thread is still even open?

Why is the simple idea that you can`t build anything that can be destroyed more than 1 time is so hard to grasp?  

even 5 duras is a freakin gift but ppl are still whining and want eternal ships. And mind you there are almost eternal supply of low level ships for the majority of girly-i-have-a-pretty-golden-cutter-and -i-am-afraid-to-lose-it-men of this game - just join the clan- youll get all the snows you can sink.

Edited by sailNE
  • Like 1

Why is this arcade-boys thread is still even open?

Why is the simple idea that you can`t build anything that can be destroyed more than 1 time is so hard to grasp?  

even 5 duras is a freakin gift but ppl are still whining and want eternal ships. And mind you there are almost eternal supply of low level ships for the majority of girly-i-have-a-pretty-golden-cutter-and -i-am-afraid-to-lose-it-men of this game - just join the clan- youll get all the snows you can sink.

There is this thin line between realism and playability and the key is to find the right balance. If all battles would be "fair", why not do 1 dura? But if you pull out your Exceptional gold ship with all the whistles and bells you have been saving up for, for like weeks, and just get caught in a very unfair battle, played very nasty, you will probably rage quit/ uninstall the game. And if you wouldn't then at least 95% of the other players would.

If it would cost nearly the same to add dura than it is to buy/build a new one, why not let people replenish their dura? People should realy start to consider other players in this game have different views on the game, and want different experiences. Nobody can expect a game to be exactly how they want it to be. If the devs would cater to the needs of only one part of the players, this game will not have a long and prosper life... keep it fun.

First shake down run with the Surprise. Got involved in a battle versus 5 corsairs. Screened two fellow captains while they escaped. Stayed until the very end. Lost 1 durability. Have 4 more. Once they are gone as well there is another ship with 5 lives waiting in line. Basically a immortal ship which I "replenish" with game gold with 5 durability packages.

Neither did rage nor quit. Actually the exchange in chat was healthy, gallant and void of any insults.

It is part of the game. It is imbued in the rules of the game

First shake down run with the Surprise. Got involved in a battle versus 5 corsairs. Screened two fellow captains while they escaped. Stayed until the very end. Lost 1 durability. Have 4 more. Once they are gone as well there is another ship with 5 lives waiting in line. Basically a immortal ship which I "replenish" with game gold with 5 durability packages.

Neither did rage nor quit. Actually the exchange in chat was healthy, gallant and void of any insults.

It is part of the game. It is imbued in the rules of the game

I am all for a good fight, and even if you lose in the end, if you give them a hard time it was well worth it. If you have 5 dura you care less about losing a ship, but if all ships would be one dura only, people would probably only fight the battles they know they could win, and that would be against an oponent that tries to run away. So, probably like you are implying, its prety good as it is...

I don't know about higher tier ships (I've only recently bought my first Cerberus) but with lower tiers there's really no need to buy NPC build ships unless you're low on cash and without a ship of your own. Other than that player build ships are so much better that they don't need any other "encouragement".

I am all for a good fight, and even if you lose in the end, if you give them a hard time it was well worth it. If you have 5 dura you care less about losing a ship, but if all ships would be one dura only, people would probably only fight the battles they know they could win, and that would be against an oponent that tries to run away. So, probably like you are implying, its prety good as it is...

I am for a reduced durability count for various reasons, mainly because I have always been a fan of ironman games and modes, but I can correlate with fellow players. So there we go, middle ground. Immortality through 5 life packages with in game gold. What's the side effect of it ? Upgrades are reset.

Pretty good on my book.

• Like 1

There is this thin line between realism and playability and the key is to find the right balance. If all battles would be "fair", why not do 1 dura? But if you pull out your Exceptional gold ship with all the whistles and bells you have been saving up for, for like weeks, and just get caught in a very unfair battle, played very nasty, you will probably rage quit/ uninstall the game. And if you wouldn't then at least 95% of the other players would.

In Eve 1 dura works perfectly and that game is the best sandbox in the world for years to come. For immortal ship there`s always world of warships - pure action, eternal ships. 

Moreover - you dont save for a new ship. Plenty of money in the game- crafters are always ready to help you out and its relatively easy to have a park of gold ships for all cases imaginable. Sure - you`ll have to hustle a bit, but it`s pretty easy.

And for pve you need to be an absolute genius to lose all 5 duras on your ship. Losing even 1 dura is a challenge actually. People need to realise that golden ship doesnt mean "Me preeeecious" - it`s just a 120k gold on a basic one price. Noone saves "for weeks". And it will be even easier to obtain once they will introduce production buildings.

The point of the game is to battle with your first rate knowing that if you lose you'll have to buy another one and that is NATURAL way of things. Thats what makes battles fun and makes people use brains and teamspeak and coordinate efforts. A loss of Santissima is supposed to feel bad, because its the Titan of Naval action. But at the same time- you know that you CAN get yourself another one and thats ok.

Oh and there is no 95% ragequit anywhere. Even in moba when people get 4-cretins teammates from time to time people still wont uninstall.

Edited by sailNE
  • Like 1

In Eve 1 dura works perfectly and that game is the best sandbox in the world for years to come. For immortal ship there`s always world of warships - pure action, eternal ships. 

Moreover - you dont save for a new ship. Plenty of money in the game- crafters are always ready to help you out and its relatively easy to have a park of gold ships for all cases imaginable. Sure - you`ll have to hustle a bit, but it`s pretty easy.

And for pve you need to be an absolute genius to lose all 5 duras on your ship. Losing even 1 dura is a challenge actually. People need to realise that golden ship doesnt mean "Me preeeecious" - it`s just a 120k gold on a basic one price. Noone saves "for weeks". And it will be even easier to obtain once they will introduce production buildings.

The point of the game is to battle with your first rate knowing that if you lose you'll have to buy another one and that is NATURAL way of things. Thats what makes battles fun and makes people use brains and teamspeak and coordinate efforts. A loss of Santissima is supposed to feel bad, because its the Titan of Naval action. But at the same time- you know that you CAN get yourself another one and thats ok.

Oh and there is no 95% ragequit anywhere. Even in moba when people get 4-cretins teammates from time to time people still wont uninstall.

I was refering to a situation where you would only have one dura per ship, and that 400 or 500k exceptional ship you just crafted or bought, with all the upgrades you want on it, would just take one unfair fight to be completely gone (some ramming, some friendly fire, just unfair in general) . If you have 5 dura, you just lose one dura, and you have at least another 4 fights before you could lose it. As long as the game mechanics aren't balanced out to the point that one would consider having at least like 40% chance of succes in any situation, I think 1 dura would frustrate and make people rage quit.

I am talking about these 25 vs 1 fights, unrealistic ship flipping, etc... just situations that make you just lose in an unfair way. I have no problem losing a nice ship or a dura in a good fight, I like the tactics, the manual sailing. A good skipper can do alot with very little. But 25 vs 1 is just overkill. I would never coniniously fight a game knowing I am at an overwhelming disadvantage every time. Untill that is sorted, keep the 5 dura in.

A totaly different game, but I played DayZ for a long time, and I could play for a month with the same character nearly daily. When I eventualy got killed I wasn't bothered a bit about it, because eventhough you could end up in a situation that put you in serious disadvantage, you never realy felt like it was unfair. So if I could consider every fight to be fair, I would even recommend only one dura on all ships...