Game-Labs Forum

Open World: Speed near towns/ports

I have a suggestion for the movement of the ships while near a town port on the open world.

Instead of having ships moving super fast, perhaps when you enter the radius of a port, the speed of the ship is reduced to 1/2, 1/3, 1/4?

This would eliminate the zooming ships in and out of a port. Where the change happens in the game mechanics could probably be at the same radius where you see a town's name.

Just an idea.

I have a suggestion for the movement of the ships while near a town port on the open world.

Instead of having ships moving super fast, perhaps when you enter the radius of a port, the speed of the ship is reduced to 1/2, 1/3, 1/4?

This would eliminate the zooming ships in and out of a port. Where the change happens in the game mechanics could probably be at the same radius where you see a town's name.

Just an idea.

Are you gonna buy me a new PC? :3

<beyond grave voice mode on>

Because this one goes outta the window when I close on a town against wind at 1Kn and my speed is lowered to 25%!

This was discussed in alpha and if I recall the conclusion was that it's just not possible to have different time compression being calculated for thousands of players and hundreds of ports across the game world.

And if it takes me less than a day (game time) to make it from some islands to others, it would mean it would take me another day just to sail to the dock. It won't work. (keep in mind the rest of the world still turns while you'd be trying to go in-and-out of ports) Next thing you know, it's August in Charleston and February in Brunswick.

If you're asking because you're trying to blockade a port, for now you'll have to move a bit farther out and intercept them before they can enter the port

Edited by ajffighter86

I'm all for reduced sailing speed in the open world all together, I even prefer it to be the same slow (realistic) speed as in battles but I think I'm one of the very few so that would never happen.

​I really think the game will do so much better with longer travel time, you will see traders work together and Trade ports between great distance, just like in real life.

You don't really have to go to the other side of the map imo so it's all up to the player how far he wants to travel, a choice, not a must!

​But again, this will never happen, to many people don't want that and like it the way it is.