Game-Labs Forum

Map Exploration

Instead of starting with a full map of the Gulf of Mexico, it would be cool to gradually discover the map.  Perhaps one should know of the ports in one's nation's control - but the rest could stay blank until visited or traded with other players perhaps. 

Also, it would be nice to allow players to make notes on the map, or even for friends to share notes on their maps...

i would like that but i would also like the map you see in game which is from the 1700's to remain the same but the actual world to be accurate so when cahrting you run into the same crap they did . hey what the, this map says we should be in governors harbor Bahamas why are we in marsh harbor Bahamas

• Like 2

While it would add a little bit to the experience...the reality is no captain would go to sea without copious charts/maps/etc.  I think for the PVP server it'd be nice to leave ports as their original owners...until you witness them otherwise.  (ie. "Oh, didn't know the British had taken this port..." - it would subsequently change on your map).

I agree that the map can get some attention, but I do not agree with the exploring part with a kind of "fog of war". Remember in those days, the areas have already been discovered and explored, I agree, maybe not in so much detail as we have today with satelite technology, but they knew Plymouth was east of Kingston for example. The noting and so forth on the map I agree! Could be nice if for example the admiral of a Fleet could make notes for the whole fleet to co-ordinate their movements etc.

Also for individual captains to be able to plot courses and your position by means of a sextant on the map.

Let's consider that the game has a few anachronisms  (example: The Constitution was a mid 1800s ship while some of the others date back much further).  So, I agree, that if you think of the game as a mid 1800s era - then the fog of war should play less of a role.  That said, in the late 1600s, through the 1700s bits of maps and good navigators were worth very large amounts to ship captains - who often composed their trips from various maps and bits of information.

In short, I just think it would be cool and add an element that players could trade between one another - as an extra reward for sailing into unknown or potentially dangerous waters.

Let's consider that the game has a few anachronisms  (example: The Constitution was a mid 1800s ship while some of the others date back much further).  So, I agree, that if you think of the game as a mid 1800s era - then the fog of war should play less of a role.  That said, in the late 1600s, through the 1700s bits of maps and good navigators were worth very large amounts to ship captains - who often composed their trips from various maps and bits of information.

In short, I just think it would be cool and add an element that players could trade between one another - as an extra reward for sailing into unknown or potentially dangerous waters.

The game has a timefram range, hence the disparity of various ships.  Constitution, by the way, was an early 1800's ship, not mid.  By mid 1800's, steamers were beginning to come on to the scene as much as these older sailing craft.