64 guns,74 after modernization

1763,rebuilt and modernized 1794

R7tDClF.jpg

RzT0wOS.jpg

dRuVUJb.jpg

d1032f701cc3679ae38615a2f2e82d15.jpg

EKiDubj.gif

Info(used google translate):

Nau Portuguese line of 3rd class, built by Antonio da Silva in the Navy shipyard in Bahia - Brazil. He had two artillery decks to 64/66 parts and capacity for 500-650 crew members. It began construction on 01/10/1760 and was thrown into the sea on 01/29/1763 under the name 'St. Anthony and St. Joseph' and the nickname 'Saint Anthony America's Pearl'. It entered service in 02/28/1763. Main dimensions keel had 53.33 meters in length, 13.38 of mouth, molded depth of 11.25 and 6.37 draft. The cost, including artillery, was 134,904,283 kings. He was part of the South squad and participated in the expedition against Algiers in 1784. Rebuilt and modernized in 1794 with the name of 'Infante Dom Pedro Carlos', was renamed with the name 'Martins de Freitas' in 1806. Sold to Brazil, becomes have the name of 'Dom Pedro I' in 1828.

History

The Nau Pedro I, former Martim de Freitas, was the first ship to bear this name in the Navy of Brazil, named after Don Pedro de Bragança, the first Emperor of Brazil. On March 7, 1808, the then Portuguese Nau Martim de Freitas, was part of the Portuguese squad also consists of the Naus Principe Real, Medusa, Afonso de Albuquerque, Count Henry, D. João de Castro, Brazil Prince, Queen of Portugal the Frigates Minerva, Urania and Dolphin, the brigs Countess de Resende, Hare, Batão and Ferret and the plow Thetis, who brought the Royal Family and the Portuguese Court to Brazil, because of the imminent invasion of the city by Napoleon's troops. He joined the Independence of Brazil when he was in the port of Rio de Janeiro, undergoing repairs and reaparalhamento the Navy Yard, together with Naus Albuquerque, Principe Real, Medusa, João de Castro and Vasco da Gama. It was incorporated into the Navy on November 10, 1822, when it became the first ship to hoist the new flag of the Empire of Brazil. At the time, he took over the Captain-de-Fragata John the Baptist Lawrence.

Armament after 1793(translated with google):

26 pieces of 24 pounds on the deck / 26 pieces of 12 pounds in the indoor / 8 pieces of 9 pounds the blurs / 4 pieces of 9 pounds in the stern castle. 

Sources:http://marinhadeguerraportuguesa.blogspot.gr/2013/04/navios-da-real-marinha-de-guerra.html

http://masterofseas.blogspot.gr/2013/04/nau-pedro-i.html

Model here(registration required):http://www.ptnauticmodel.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=5772

The modeler in this thread discovered that the deagostini model of the ship is based on the spanish Montanes.They just changed the figurehead and closed some windows from the stern:

So here is the modified Montanes plan:

278b0752fd360826793938cecfb5db97.jpg

Any info would be greatly appreciated.Your thoughts?

• Like 4

:D Some plans for portuguese ships(im not sure about this one) probably exist in Lisbon.The problem is that i don't know anyone from there!So any Portuguese that sees this please help!

I have also found some models of Chilean ships,some of them former spanish but as usual im not sure if we can find any plans!