Game-Labs Forum

Game servers location

Should be in the US.

Cough cough largest audience cough central location.

I'll be the judge whether or not ping doesn't matter thank you very much considering I'll have 350 and you'll have 60.

You're just not listening are you.

You're just not listening are you.

120 ping is nothing.

350 is what I'll have if its in Europe.

Stick it in the US you'll have 120 I'll have 200. Better for everyone.

Your opinion quite frankly doesn't assure me. Eve is jumpy and iffy quite often and every other game is unplayable. You wouldn't know. I do.

The largest audience will assuredly not be in the U.S.

Europe plays just as many videogames and has a comparable population. They also go in for this sort of historical, realistic gameplay. And that goes double for Russians, who already outnumber us English-speaking forumites and will flock to a game by a Ukrainian developer with familiar design preferences.

Don't forget about everyone west of the states.

The US for a more central server location not because there's more gamers. Who's the bigger audience 40 million siberians or 40 million Australians and New Zealanders. Not to mention SEA and Japan.

There's very, very little to debate. The first server will undoubtedly be in Europe, most likely Central. The second server (if there is one) will then be in NA. Then, I'm unsure if they'd open another server or where it would be - but those two are guaranteed and in that order.

And lol, 40 million Siberians.

There are probably less gamers in Siberia than there are in London alone.

• 2 weeks later...

potbs launched with 11 servers and within 6 mts they reduced to 4

and now 2 

after launch of NA depending on numbers they should open

one in North America

and then add as needed

increasing content and members will drive the need

i would rather have a 300 ping and lots of friends

than 100 ping and be all by my lonesome  :(

server shut downs are a pain. as half of my soc went to one and half to the other

so i like the idea of starting small and expanding as needed

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's very, very little to debate. The first server will undoubtedly be in Europe, most likely Central. The second server (if there is one) will then be in NA. Then, I'm unsure if they'd open another server or where it would be - but those two are guaranteed and in that order.

And lol, 40 million Siberians.

There are probably less gamers in Siberia than there are in London alone.

+1  :)

• 4 weeks later...

Prices lol. You have the best English.

But yes you are correct. Australian tax is ridiculous. Australia is a rather wealthy place and for quite some time one of the best places to live financially. Until the government there decided they ran out of money and revealed that they were $50 billion AUD in the red. So everything got very expensive all of a sudden. Better off trying New Zealand for a server price wise. Australians still get around 60-80 ping on NZ servers.

Thats not really how it works...

Australian prices are higher in the internet sphere because of competition in the wholesale market being fairly limited.

Power costs are high for running servers due to the infrastructure being 'gold plated' in that it has cost a lot to update and has been limited by legislation in how it is done. the costs are then passed on to the customer in the rates one pays for electricity

taxation has changed little in the last 15 years other than through bracket creep. and all the talk of 'budget emergency' and being in the red,... australia's position is still significantly better than most of europe and the US as far as debt goes :)

Australia and New Zealand are the third largest market for games off steam after the United States and Europe. Asia strangely enough isn't really into things like steam. No idea why.

But if you want to test high ping give me a test copy. 350 ping I'll be getting. You can say it'll be fine all you want but you're not the one on the other side of the god damn world.

concurr with Lemon here. want to test it? shoot us a copy and we'll test the high ping for ya properly :)

500ms not uncommon when dealing with central EU servers in AU. 

I suspect it will be ok but nevertheless only really one way to know.

also Oceania refers to a timezone not some small tropical islands. ie: south east asia, Japan, HK, Au and NZ inclusive. thats some 400 million + or so people.  Although i do agree that the SE Asian crowd may not have much interest in european age of sail. (having said that some east indies pirate action outta siam and singapore and some funky rigged boats could be cool)

I am an Australian , Servers outside of Australia for Australians does not often work well because Australia's internet connection to the world is terrible so offshore is allways worse for us no matter where ultimately if you want to save money on servers here just release the server files and let Australian enthusiasts of the game foot the bill to keep servers up its a win win.

allso hi *waves* new here

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

what about steam servers how are the pings there for you downunders?

since the game will run over steam in the end it might be possible that Lord Gaben will help you in that civilwar for australian internet.

specially since he is eating money to fight inflation.

If I had to change the country in which I live, I would choose land down under , for many reasons. I happened to contemplate such thing few times. But few years ago I learned from my buddy what  ping to the rest of the world you have, and idyllic picture broke.

Still, I wish we could play all together :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Would be nice to see some clarification on how the devs intend to roll out server’s location wise. As another member of the down under community having the server in central Europe gives me ping shivers. The last time I played on War Thunders EU server the ping was around 400ms + with massive packet loss, resulting in a disconnection every time, the things we do for friends ;) … you get my point.

To make matters worse, I’ve made a few friends walk the plank … ah I mean enlisted a few friends up to serve aboard the good ship Rimfire {hmm, will we be able to name our ships?}  and I’m sure they will all mutiny if the ping is so high, it would be like watching a slide show…. Shiver.

It’s so frustrating being an online gamer in AU/NZ. Despite our best efforts, third largest consumers of games off steam. Per capita, the highest backers of star citizen etc. the best we can hope for is a South Asian server 110~140ms, i.e. hosted out of Indonesia.

What compounds the frustration even more is the fact that our internal infrastructure is 100/40mbps across optic fibre and capable of 1gbps … but as soon as the signal hits salty water, it’s about 20ms faster than ADSL2 …wtf? Were hooked into the oceanic fibre network, , arrr me hearties … somebody here should be walking the plank.

And this brings to mind, why don’t more devs use the Battlefield server model. From a devs point of view it has to be a win, win situation, no? You make a deal with a hand full of service providers for a slice of the revenue pie, which is now generated by those who have bought the game, and now renting servers to host it? Have been using hypernia for years, they also host our TS3 sever. When I had our BF3 sever running, the cost {which was around 500AUD a year of the revenue pie ;)} was not even a consideration, oh sub 40ms … I miss you so much.

Cheers me hearties  ;

• Like 1