Game-Labs Forum

Crew Exp, Points of Interest, Morale, Passive Musketeers,

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Crew Experience idea?

• I like the Idea of Crew Experience effecting my ship
    • I like the Idea of Crew Experience effecting my ship, but rather it be implimented a different way.
    • I don't like the idea.
  2. 2. Do you think Points of Interest should be added?

• Yes, add points of interest that interactive.
    • Yes, and I have other idea's (mention them below)
    • No, I don't like the idea of Points of Interest.
  3. 3. Do you think crew Morale should effect your ship both at sea and in fights?

• Yes I like the Idea's you had for Crew Morale
    • Yes, but I think the morale should only drop during battles
    • Yes, but I have another idea, or suggestion for Morale that's different (Explain below)
    • No, Morale should only effect boarding and only drop then.
    • I think morale should be removed entirely.
  4. 4. Do you like the idea of Passive Marines/Musketeers

• Yes, it brings a bit more realism, and makes close engangements dangerous at all moments.
    • Yes, but I think all ships should get a few Marines at least.
    • Yes, but I have another idea for them instead of yours
    • No, Grape shot is enough, this would be overboard.

NOTE: Please read the Post before you vote!

1) Crew Experience.

Crew experience was a vital importance in this time, just as it is today. I think each ship you have would have its own crew with it's own experience, as you fight, at the end of each battle, your crew gains experience, this experience boosts the Ship crew levels. The levels would be 1-10. This is a reflection of the synergy, and skill/knowledge level of the crew. The things this would effect are: 

-Repair Speed/amount (boost to the repair skill in battle)

-Reload Time

- Accuracy

- Speed of changing focus (Guns, Sails, etc.)

The crew exp is a slight buffer, but nothing else, a small % boost all around, however losing crew, etc. is still very serious. 

Losing crew drops your crew Ship level, by a certain % of how many % of crew you lost, since replacing crew you would be bringing on new sailors.

2) Points of Interest

Points of interest can be instances that are either randomly generated, or spawned for a period of time based on player actions. They would be instances you go into, but you don't know what they are until you actually enter them. They are NOT battle instances. A few idea's could be.

- Stranded Crew: Either some life boats, or sailors floating in the sea hanging to drift wood. Going into this instance and rescuing them by pulling up to them and stopping, can net you 1 of 2 things. New crew to your ship which will give you less of a Crew level drop than if you just recruited fresh sailors from port, or you put them in your hold and can bring them to the nearest port for a very small payout.

- Wreckage: Floating debris and wreckage that can be salvaged and brought on board.  Again, floating pieces of wood, barrels, etc, coming up to it and stopping would open the inventory screen of your ship and the debris, allowing you to take any of it if you wish.

- Abandoned wreck: Casualties of war don't always necessarily sink, rare instance, but helpful. If you find one of these wrecks you get the ability to strip the stricken ship netting you crafting supplies specific to creating ships through crafting, (riggings, etc.)

These could also be Points of Interest on the coast of islands, or in shallow inland sea area's or coves of ship wrecks that had beached themselves during storms which could be stripped for crafting parts.

3) Morale at Sea.

Coinciding with my 1), I think morale should have an impact as well.

The longer you're at sea, the morale of your ship slowly dwindles. If you're at sea for an extremely long time, your crew are going to become very agitated and restless. This drops their fighting ability somewhat.

4) Passive musketeers.

This idea came after watching a few movies of this era. Ultimately, when you are battling, and you come extremely close to an enemy ship, your crew and the enemies may take passive crew damage resulting from musketeers or marines on-board doing their job.

Ships of Rating 1-5 (maybe 6?) would begin to have a new "Marine" stat, with built in marines into the crew of sailors, as was customary. Like-wise any ship with the "Marines" module buff would add to the # of Marines, but take away from the # of sailors equally, keeping the crew count the same, but replacing Marines with Sailors. Slower reload as is the module passive already, but increased boarding, and now also increased passive musket attack pre boarding when you get close and are sailing extremely close to each other.

Like-wise any ship of Rank 6-10 who also installs Marines, gets the passive Marine musket fire as well when near another enemy ship, again replacing 1 sailor for 1 marine at a 1:1 ratio.

Other modules such as "Barricades" could also give a passive defense multiplier against these passive musketeers when ships are dangerously close to each other, dropping their effectiveness to knock out a crew member, while other modules such as "refined muskets" etc. could give more bonus to them. This allows ships who plan to engage close range, or even Traders to have some form of defense, Traders could be given some Marines for security. While they may not have weapons, they could load their ship with modules to increase speed, defense, and passively boost these musketmen or marines in anticipation for that chance when they are attacked, and enemy ships get in close to grape shot them down for boarding. This would give them a little bit of a bite back, especially if they have loaded their ships with greater level of firearms, marines, and barricades boosting their boarding both defensively and offensively before the boarding even begins.

• Like 4

Like the idea but we should be careful how much bonuses' crew exp provide on top of modules.  As for port of interest i think somewhere on these forums the devs have mentioned about treasure hunting, this could be added to your idea of point of interests.

Like the idea but we should be careful how much bonuses' crew exp provide on top of modules.  As for port of interest i think somewhere on these forums the devs have mentioned about treasure hunting, this could be added to your idea of point of interests.

Treasure hunting, and exploration points of interest would be pretty neat tbh.

Crew Exp :

Bad idea unless the exp can be gained through exploring and trading in addition to combat otherwise we end up with a combat grindy based game .

Points of Interst :

Yeah sounds fun and great depend on what dev's have in mind , lets wait and see .

Morale at sea :

Sounds good but then there must a way to handle that , do we have to carry say ' Rum ' and ' Sea Ration ' to keep crew happy ? This would take cargo space not to mention the cost , imagine how this impact the waships captains .

Passive Musketeers :

Don't like it , would make captains think twice before get close to board/capture enemy ship .

Basically... you made a thread that puts 4 totally different topics into one thread. ALL those topics have already been discussed in different threads with tons of great suggestions and in depth discussion. You add a poll to it to get more pressure although this is not a democratic decision. I'm not even going to read your posts, because if you had read the other posts on these topics, you would have posted them in the correct threads. 

(You see me pretty angry here. We've discussed all that stuff so much and the recent "poll-explosion" on the forums is just ridiculous.)

Crew Exp would prob work if you can track new and old crew.  Like every time you loose crew the new ones aren't all skilled veterans.  Though the longer they live the more they switch from green to veterans.  This kinda sucks for the heavy board folks, but the guys that all ways duke it out would prob have all veteran crews.  So yah it can prob get to mechanic heavy to work something out.   I can see this working more in a single player games than something with so many users.

POIs could also include:

- a merchantman fighting off a Pirate and you have the choice to leave or join in to defend the Trader - XP/Gold reward

- a small/big clash between two nations you could join, one nation is the owner of the waters in which the event occurs and another they are at war with.

- a ship being strangled by a kraken...

Crew Morale should increase during/after battles, in most cases crew lose morale when they are not busy or excited, it's just like bored troops on deployment, you have to give them something to do to keep them out of ttrouble.