Game-Labs Forum

Very poor performance.

Callaghan

So I just booted the game up for the first time in a very long time. I upgraded my system recently, and now have an i5 6600k OC´d to 4.4Ghz, an R9 390 8GB, and 16gb DDR4 2666 on a good motherboard.

Why then do I see no performance improvement in Naval Action over my 2010 system? I ran the game with the very same settings, 1080p, everything maxed out apart from AA which I had on low, and I had maybe 24 FPS. I´ll try again later, could be an anomaly, but I have the latest drivers and everything. I´m running it on Windows 7 64 bit. Am I the only one getting shockingly bad performance? This PC should easily be able to handle the level of geometry and the textures and simulation in Naval Action.

Hmm, I have:

i5 4690k 4,4Ghz
8GB DDR3 2400Mhz
Gigabyte GTX970 1,55Ghz Core and 8,2Ghz Mem
everything on Gigabyte z97x Gaming 5.
Windows 7 64bit

In Open World sailing mode:
Everything on Ultra, AA is OFF
60 FPS flat, card usage tops out at 90%
Everything on Ultra, AA x2
45 FPS flat, card fully utilized
Everything on Ultra AA x4
29 FPS flat, card fully utilized

I think in Battle Mode I have a lot more FPS than in Open World Mode.

Just turn off AA completely, don't use it all and you should be good. My bet is, even 980Ti can't run this game with AA x4.

Edited by Count Maurice Benyovszky

• Intel i7 4770k clocked to 4.5Ghz
  • Asus ROG Maximus Hero VII
  • 32gig DDR3 Kingston Beast 2400mhz Ram
  • Game runs off 500GB Samsung EVO 840 SSD
  • Asus Nvidia Titan 6GB

Running Naval Action at 1920x1080 with everything on Ultra, runs around 60+fps

No issues here with AA turned off, FXAA, as OlavDeng2 mentioned makes it look, a bit blurry, nicer but blurrier, and well overall works a tad better then AA.

In general at 1920x1080, AA is rather... meh useless (at maximum just use 2x, higher than that might not give any effect, since it all depends on how the game/engine is)

Ok so it seems like their AA is very badly optimised. I appreciate that with the level of geometry added by all of the rigging and lines then AA is going to be expensive, fine. But in 2016 we´re so used to not seeing jaggies that it really undermines the beauty of the game, especially because there are so many lines that need AA.

FXAA is a nasty blur and counteracts the effects of having high res textures and anisotropic filtering. Are Gamelabs looking into ways of optimising their AA options further, or will it be down to the players to just lower their settings?

In response to Octanen, AA is anything but ´useless´, it is one of the most powerful ways of adding verisimilitude to a game, and any experienced gamer should easily be able to tell the difference between 0x, 2x, 4x, and then also supersampled AA.

Anyway, looks like other people are having equally bad performance. Now I just want to know if this is something that is being worked on.

Edited by Callaghan

Ok so it seems like their AA is very badly optimised. I appreciate that with the level of geometry added by all of the rigging and lines then AA is going to be expensive, fine. But in 2016 we´re so used to not seeing jaggies that it really undermines the beauty of the game, especially because there are so many lines that need AA.

FXAA is a nasty blur and counteracts the effects of having high res textures and anisotropic filtering. Are Gamelabs looking into ways of optimising their AA options further, or will it be down to the players to just lower their settings?

In response to Octanen, AA is anything but ´useless´, it is one of the most powerful ways of adding verisimilitude to a game, and any experienced gamer should easily be able to tell the difference between 0x, 2x, 4x, and then also supersampled AA.

Anyway, looks like other people are having equally bad performance. Now I just want to know if this is something that is being worked on.

It will be worked on, but as the game is still in very early development adding new features is of higher priority for the devs