Game-Labs Forum

FPS of 3 and no cannons

Jon Allen

Just got the game key today, tried playing. The Yacht had no cannons and I did not appear to have the gold to buy any.  Made me wonder if I missed required "pick up your free cannons" somewhere as an upgrade but I have not found anything on the forums to support that hypothesis.

The other issue was much more concerning. I dropped into a small battle with 2 other ships. For a few seconds the game seemed ok but then FPS dropped to 3 (my ping was about 130-140). It was basically unplayable after that and I just sailed away from the fight. I dropped graphic settings from ULTRA to Low, no change in FPS. Ultimately control-alt-deleted out, it was so slow it was not even doing anything when I tried to click exit game.

I did F11 and reported both as bugs. Not sure if I should also post here but I figured I'd give that a shot.

A little bit about my rig.

Processor    Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
8 MB memory

Graphics card EVGA GTX 960 Supercharged.

Windows 10

Might be running DirectX 12

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Jon Allen

The Yacht is a redeemable ship, however, she may not come with cannon any more.  Try buying a Free Cutter in any port and using that to get some gold to put 12lb carronades or 6lb cannon on your Yacht.

Regarding the other issue, that's really odd.  I haven't heard about that one yet.  Make sure you have the latest video drivers and try again, and if you get the issue again, F11 once more.  There may be some weird combination of issues on your computer.

what settings are the game on? disable AA and maybe lower some other settings, what do you get after that? also what resolution are you playing at and do you have your monitor connected through the motherboard or graphics card?

edit: do you also have the latest drivers? if yes try some older drivers

Edited by OlavDeng2

AA is a big killer.  I have a gtx 980 ti and it takes my fps from 100 at AA x2 to 50-70 at AA x4.  I assume with a 960 you should get decent fps as long as you have AA off and like Olav said, making sure your monitor is hooked up to the video card and not the motherboard.  I used to have a 780 and I would get between 20-40 on ultra and no AA.  My frame rates are for 1920x1080.

Update: I restarted the computer and tried playing again, this time started at low graphics and brought it up to high. Made sure AA stayed off. FPS stayed in the 40+ range, sometimes a lot better.

So that problem seems to be solved, or at least, I haven't been able to replicate it so far. Both in open world and a battle the game is playable.

The Yacht cannons thing still has me scratching my head. I found the base cannons that were sold for zero gold in the shop. I purchased those and tried to slot them in from my warehouse into the ship's weapon slot. It appears there for a moment, then moves it back to the warehouse. So I can't seem to arm the Yacht.

Update: I restarted the computer and tried playing again, this time started at low graphics and brought it up to high. Made sure AA stayed off. FPS stayed in the 40+ range, sometimes a lot better.

So that problem seems to be solved, or at least, I haven't been able to replicate it so far. Both in open world and a battle the game is playable.

The Yacht cannons thing still has me scratching my head. I found the base cannons that were sold for zero gold in the shop. I purchased those and tried to slot them in from my warehouse into the ship's weapon slot. It appears there for a moment, then moves it back to the warehouse. So I can't seem to arm the Yacht.

That is because the yacht is not a starter ship, it cant use the base cannons which is free, only the cutter can mount those

What I'm still unclear on is whether the Yacht having no cannons constitutes a "bug."

Would also like to know what the Yacht should/can carry, but that isn't a bug issue that's just a game question while I'm on this train of thought.

Edited by Jon Allen

What I'm still unclear on is whether the Yacht having no cannons constitutes a "bug."

Would also like to know what the Yacht should/can carry, but that isn't a bug issue that's just a game question while I'm on this train of thought.

Its not supposed to come with cannons, and iirc it can carry 8/9 class cannons and 8 class carronades., it is not a bug

They need to make it so all ships are be able to mount 4lb mediums. 

while it would be fun and all, i dont think it would be that good to see people sailing 4 pounder santissimas(i mean fully), and most begginer ships(i think up to the cerberus, i might be wrong) can mount 4lb mediums, just not the free ones(unless they changed it while i am gone)

while it would be fun and all, i dont think it would be that good to see people sailing 4 pounder santissimas(i mean fully), and most begginer ships(i think up to the cerberus, i might be wrong) can mount 4lb mediums, just not the free ones(unless they changed it while i am gone)

It has nothing to do with fun but what happens when someone runs out of money because they spent it all on a nice ship and they didn't realize it doesn't come with cannons? 

What is wrong with a 4lb Santi?  A regular Santi will destroy it.  A Surprise or Trinc can probably destroy such a Santi.  If frigates can carry 4lb mediums (the basic guns) then a Yacht should be able to.  In fact, actually, the yacht should at most be able to carry 4lb mediums or 12lb carronades.  4lb longs and 6lb longs would be too long for it.

1. it would be hilarious but stupid, but i dont want the free cannons on all ships

2. if you dont have the cash for it, jump into one of your other ships and earn some cash, i have made the same mistake plenty of times, but you learn from it, and if you dont, well you just keep on making money

3. frigates cant carry the free guns iirc, only the cutter can because it is the beginner ship.