Game-Labs Forum

Ship's boat

Done right, this would be an enormously complicated new game feature. Resulting in several operations where everything is... very slow.

Remember that a frigate or ship of the line would carry many boats, some of them very large (25-35 feet) and capable of long voyages under sail in their own right. HMS Victory, for example, carried a pinnace, a launch, a barge and three different cutters. Some ships also carried a small gig for the captain (jollyboat for you Jack Sparrow types) or a yawl.

Most of the time these boats were stored on booms in the waist, stacked on top of each other like spoons. So obviously it was an incredibly involved operation to lift them up with block and tackle, put the bulkheads, seats and rig back in, then launch them. In battle they would usually be towed astern or passed off to an attendant frigate.

By the way, when your ship is in irons or totally dismasted and you are using A/D to slowly swivel the ship, the devs say you should imagine the ship's boats towing the bow around.

Anyway, without complex anchor simulation and amphibious operations we don't really need ship's boats. No calms in this game anyway. Can you imagine having six other little boats to take care of, besides the main warship?

• Like 1

What's a ship's boat?

As I understand it, a small boat (or set of boats) used for any various assortment of reasons. Including but not limited to:

• Pulling/towing a ship that needs to travel upstream/be docked/travel against the wind/etc. (I believe this is what maturin is referring to)
  • Used as ferries for captains or pretty much anyone to travel between ships (This happened often for any means of official, in-person communication between captains/officers)
  • Lifeboat/dinghy
  • Exploration/landing parties (amphibious operations maturin is referring to)

yes the idea of kedge'ing away from a large British fleet in my Constitution seems cool in theory but in practice would be a real bore :P 

if you do not know what i am talking about here i found this for you 

https://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/constitution-resources/the-captain-speaks/the-great-chase-july-1812/

Edited by Young