Game-Labs Forum

Player community organization

Marlinspike

NA has a fantastic player community -- I am continually amazed at the knowledge and passion the community has for this game.

Given the small dev team and attendant resource constraints, in addition to the niche nature of the game, the player community and its quality will be a huge contributor to the success of the game.

I have two questions:

1. How is the player community currently organized? I see some players with Staff tags in the forum. How is player staff selected? What are the roles/responsibilities of player staff?

2. How can the player community organization be improved? There are players with clearly established expertise in certain areas -- historical, game mechanics, game economy, strategy, tactics, etc, Is there a way that the community can formally recognize our experts? 

• Like 1

I belive the non dev/tester staff (at least the moderators) are all volunteers. Moderators are present to ensure that the forums here remain orderly and friendly.

As far as organization of "experts" goes, it may be a bit difficult. Just short if actually authenticating a user's scholarly authority, the best way to see what someone knows is how we do it now: engage them in discussions, ask them questions. If they are incorrect on a subject, more often than not there is someone to correct them (usually in a polite manner, sometimes not, which is why we need moderators)

Since this community and its experts have been around a while, it's pretty easy to assess expertise by simply looking at a long history of posts on a given topic.

I am wondering if there is a way that we, as a player community, can give some sort of formal recognition to these people, both as a gesture of gratitude and as a reward to encourage them and others.

I'm thinking a system of nomination, vetting, voting, followed by some sort of insignia.

This may or may not be a good idea -- we need an expert on the topic of online gaming communities to chime in.