Game-Labs Forum

Knocked out sails should not repair. + Exploring land to repair

My suggestion is when a sail, for instance, the front sail of a ship is broken off, using a repair does not repair that whole beam.

Instead, if you want to repair a mast out at sea, you have to sail to shallow waters, and click a button to send your crew to the shore, after 30-60 seconds, they'll return with a "mast" and you can use it to replace the broken mast, and then repair your sails on that mast.

An interesting idea but : 

- What about big ships that won't be able to sail on shallows ? Rowboats are made for that purpose, you'll retort.  ;)

- What about ships in the middle of the seas ? Sailing to shallows would last long with a damaged mast, wouldn't it ? Not very fun, isn't it ?

Moreover, round trips between the shore and where you want to fight would be quite a waste of time for shooter fans, wouldn't it ?

Btw I may be mistaken but IRL I think ships was quite able to repair with onboard supplies. Maybe not the whole mast, of course...

However, it may not be a feature for naval officers who are backed up by organized craft and economy but I guess it is an interesting one for :

1) Explorers who find themselves alone in the middle of nowhere (in unmapped territories).

You know if a mast is broken because of a storm, the obsolescence of your cheap ship, by accident or fate (that is a random event, an interesting feature I guess), one could have to sail along the coast and look for the appropriate forest through one's spyglass.

It could even be a mission for explorers : "try to find the appropriate type of wood to repair your fellow explorer's mast".  :)

2) Pirates if a barter economy is implemented for them (that is an economy based on survival, without full shipyards, that is where most ships are acquired by stealing them after a fight).

You know they could be good at repairing and knowing where the right ressources are to do so (one could give them maps of ressources).

Edited by LeBoiteux

An interesting idea but : 

- What about big ships that won't be able to sail on shallows ? Rowboats are made for that purpose, you'll retort.  ;)

- What about ships in the middle of the seas ? Sailing to shallows would last long with a damaged mast, wouldn't it ? Not very fun, isn't it ?

Moreover, round trips between the shore and where you want to fight would be quite a waste of time for shooter fans, wouldn't it ?

Btw I may be mistaken but IRL I think ships was quite able to repair with onboard supplies. Maybe not the whole mast, of course...

However, it may not be a feature for naval officers who are backed up by organized craft and economy but I guess it is an interesting one for :

1) Explorers who find themselves alone in the middle of nowhere (in unmapped territories).

You know if a mast is broken because of a storm, the obsolescence of your cheap ship, by accident or fate (that is a random event, an interesting feature I guess), one could have to sail along the coast and look for the appropriate forest through one's spyglass.

It could even be a mission for explorers : "try to find the appropriate type of wood to repair your fellow explorer's mast".  :)

2) Pirates if a barter economy is implemented for them (that is an economy based on survival, without full shipyards, that is where most ships are acquired by stealing them after a fight).

You know they could be good at repairing and knowing where the right ressources are to do so (one could give them maps of ressources).

Is this realistic or a shooter? Game needs to decide which it is. It already takes quite a long time to travel anywhere, people should be used to it.

That being said, it's not easy breaking a mast in the first place so it shouldn't happen often, but when it does..

I don't see why a mechanic that implements realistic situations can't be introduced in the OW. How many people are going to rage quit because they have to travel to a shore to repair a mast? I doubt any.

Edited by Lady Athena

Is this realistic or a shooter? Game needs to decide which it is. It already takes quite a long time to travel anywhere, people should be used to it.

That being said, it's not easy breaking a mast in the first place so it shouldn't happen often, but when it does..

I don't see why a mechanic that implements realistic situations can't be introduced in the OW. How many people are going to rage quit because they have to travel to a shore to repair a mast? I doubt any.

To be realistic or not ? That's the question. ;)

I agree with you about the benefit of realistic situations.

But devs want naval combat fans to be able to fight quickly.  

However, I didn't mean this feature shouldn't be implemented.

Quite on the contrary. I did mean it should be implemented for those who would enjoy it (i.e. those exploring and maybe pirates). 

They could repair the smaller masts and smaller, upper parts of the larger masts at sea, they would take timbers with them for this. Sometimes they would need to come ashore to repair but that was usually because they were hulled and needed to careen the ship. 

I may be mistaken, but in Master and Command, The far side of the world with Russell Crowe, the mast is broken during a storm and Mr. Crowe (?) seems to say — correct me if I am wrong :

"However, a week in the Brazilian rainforest  looking for a new mast simply will not do. The Acheron will be halfway to China."

http://www.cswap.com/2003/Master_and_Commander:_The_Far_Side_of_the_World/cap/en/2_Parts/a/00_22

I guess this is quite a "realistic" situation (if realism is worth anything) as long as the ship is far away from any friendly or neutral port with a decent shipyard. 

That's why I was talking about exploration of unknown territories (a kind of challenge of survival).

However, it doesn't seem to be suitable for the current OW with its numerous spawn ports that are made to quickly go back into action.

Edited by LeBoiteux

Masts have several sections.

Replacing more than a topmast while away from a port would be several weeks while lying vulnerable in a bay. A fished mast would leave the rig weaker, too.

In O'Brian, one of the books has such an episode, in the south Atlantic, IIRC.

And in what way would running aground and waiting a few weeks for a new mast to pop up make the game more fun? Repairs in battle and at sea should remain, but they should be limited to what they could have feasibly have done at the time.

The reason this game is different from every other age of sail game and the reason why it's so fun is because of the realism. Want arcade go play one of the others..

Repairs in battle and at sea should remain, but they should be limited to what they could have feasibly have done at the time.

'Feasible at the time' means no lower mast repairs.

Now, I would be in favor of a system where lower masts are impossible to repair and very difficult to destroy. However, that runs up against the current reality where people can rarely aim high enough to hit topmasts, and lower masts account for most losses.

Spar damage would make everything better, but that's a major new feature.

If you loose your mast only the lower Part should get repaired.

So the ship can travel and the player that hits the mast has a nice advantage in battle.

I see many battles there unexpierenced players (or rowdys) collidate with other ships and loose their mast.

The moment then they repair and the whole masts are back => Im totally sad.

It is equal to me if you can repair that mast completely in the open world - but not infight.