Game-Labs Forum

Nautical miles traveled at sea in the game

Great game guys!!

Don't know if this has been discussed already but, I would like to see a nautical mile counter/trip counter next to the "time at sea" counter?  Navigation would be improved at sea and, if planning a route, we would know when we are getting near to our destination.

It could be reset each time you entered port.

thx

• Like 1

That does sound like a good idea! :) It would help out with navigation a lot, I have a lot of experience with missing the island that I am heading for and this would be very useful as you could right your mistake before you have gone miles past.

Edited by Dom

Surely this will be part of the log book, when it comes. As the name says, the log book was to record the speed readings taken with the chip log/ ship log. Since they where taken at regular intervals the distance made good through water could easily be calculated. This actually was/ is one of the most important tools of naviagtion.

To calculate ETA however we would need to know the level of time compression and by how much the game world is smaller compared to the actual world.

Surely this will be part of the log book, when it comes. As the name says, the log book was to record the speed readings taken with the chip log/ ship log. Since they where taken at regular intervals the distance made good through water could easily be calculated. This actually was/ is one of the most important tools of naviagtion.

To calculate ETA however we would need to know the level of time compression and by how much the game world is smaller compared to the actual world.

A mileage counter is just that, a miles traveled counter.  Time compression is not completely relevant in this instance.  If you plan your route, you will know how many miles the trip is before you start.  When you are close to that many miles, time compression or not, if no land is sighted it's time to re-evaluate your navigation.

The game might not have the headroom for a "miles under the rudder" accounting since it would have to calculate all your course turns in as well (suppose you veer off to get in a fight) - it is like the difference between "as the crow flies" distance and "follow the road" distance on land.

Do you want something like an odometer - or something like a chart plot (as the crow flies) distance?

The chart plot distance (or location) is already calculated by the game.

Amp,

"The chart plot distance (or location) is already calculated by the game."   Where is this?  I guess I missed it?

I was thinking more of a distance from A to B.  If you deviate along the way, it's up to the skipper to keep track of when you wandered off and back on.  

Amp,

"The chart plot distance (or location) is already calculated by the game."   Where is this?  I guess I missed it?

I was thinking more of a distance from A to B.  If you deviate along the way, it's up to the skipper to keep track of when you wandered off and back on.  

If you press F11 - you will see a log of where you were when you pressed it (you will continue sailing - while the number remains frozen) - Press cancel (or F11 again) to return to the game).

There is very valuable information in those plot numbers - if you know how to interpret them - each "tick" or tenth is about 11 inches (why that is I have no idea) per my calculations.

Soooooo - if you drive till those numbers come up X: 127,085.7 and Z: 113,331.4 - you will find your ship sitting on the doorstep of Puerto Escondido Cuba (in theory anyway).

Positive numbers are east of the E/W (X) centerline and north of the N/S (Z) centerline - negative are west and south

If you write down the numbers of your home port - you are never lost ;)

-----

Edit: oops did I just give away the co-ordinates of MY home port :unsure:

• Like 1

I went out to the eastern edge of the sandbox and found it at X: 818,303.3 ----- with a little calculation I theorize that the East/West distance of the play area is about 3000 miles (about 1500 miles east side of center - plus 1500 west side?).

This assumes two things:

1. The Zero line (X: 0) is in the CENTER of the map E/W

2. The map or sandbox is symmetrical - a square or rectangle (perhaps it's a circle or an ellipse and I need more samples).