Game-Labs Forum

Small and cheap vessels

Mass

I really think that a handfull of warships wouldnt hurt im here to say that i really want a big collection of smaller and cheaper ships since we all start at rock bottom i really would see alot of smaller ships like brigs, sloops but what im craving is a small trading vessel and the thing i have in mind that we would have a variety of ships to chose from so we dont sail the same vessel after the "starter ship"

The need for smaller vessel with or without guns and i have said it before the Brig Lady Washingthon or the sloop USS Provience would be ideal right now when it launches available for all nations of course.

Well there are alot of awesome ideas that have been throw out there.  There is a Swedish Privateer that got posted recently that would be a nice addition since it is a Ketch, something we don't already have.  Also we have the Mercury Brig incoming though being armed with 18 24-lb guns, small is just a relative term.  Then there is the HMS Pickle on the way as well and then there is the 20-gun Rattlesnake on its way too.  This is in addition to the Lynx, Yacht, Cutter, Privateer, Brig, Navy Brig and Snow already in the game.

The thing about these small ships though it that, depending strongly on how the economy and progression works in the Open World, it isn't likely most people will use them once they have progressed out of the newbie phase.  I expect we will see alot of people using the Snow, Mercury Brig and the Rattlesnake or similar ships, mostly because they are going to be relatively powerful for their size and because they are smaller, should also be cheaper but by far I think the preferred ship class will be Frigates.  That being the case, I am sure devoting alot time to modeling and adding a ton of small ships is really the best investment.

Now I said, depending on the economy because it is entirely possible Games Labs will implement a fairly brutal economy where it is very, very tough to progress to, own and operate the larger ships.  If that happens, then yes people will use the smaller ships but considering they eventually want to be be able to access the 1st rates they are spending alot of time and effort on adding, I can't see them making at least the smaller frigates relatively easy to access after just a few months of play or less.

I hope they would choose to include smaller vessels. Most of what you describe in the topic linked are still ships. I personally would love to see some variation in the rig available in the game, such as:

• the Brigantine, the über-versatile hybrid between the square and fore-and-aft rigged vessels,
  • a Lugger (maybe both a standing and a dipping lug edition?), the smuggler of choice for the French,
  • a Sloop (similar to the cutter, but with only 1 head sail), the workhorse of the Caribbean,
  • a Ketch, the preferred 'hands off' rig, used on both bomb and fishing vessel,
  • a Lateen (from 1 to 3 masts), the Mediterranean rig of choice.

Cheers,

Brigand

• Like 1

Yeah that is the one I mentioned in my post.  That is a beautiful Ketch and I think it would make a great addition to our small ship line up.   Hopefully they decide to go with it.

I hope they would choose to include smaller vessels. Most of what you describe in the topic linked are still ships. I personally would love to see some variation in the rig available in the game, such as:

• the Brigantine, the über-versatile hybrid between the square and fore-and-aft rigged vessels,
  • a Lugger (maybe both a standing and a dipping lug edition?), the smuggler of choice for the French,
  • a Sloop (similar to the cutter, but with only 1 head sail), the workhorse of the Caribbean,
  • a Ketch, the preferred 'hands off' rig, used on both bomb and fishing vessel,
  • a Lateen (from 1 to 3 masts), the Mediterranean rig of choice.

Cheers,

Brigand

Honestly I would love to see some Xebecs in the game.  I know alot of the purists don't like them because they weren't used outside of the Mediterranean and it appears at least the initial setting will be the Caribbean but they add wonderful visual diversity which I think would be a overall plus for the game.