Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.3 - for UAD v1.5.1.5

o Barão

I have a question and I dont know how it works.

If I discover a technology which add me a gun base accuracy, do I have to refit a ship to get this bonus on ship which I have?

1 minute ago, NiKuTa said:

I have a question and I dont know how it works.

If I discover a technology which add me a gun base accuracy, do I have to refit a ship to get this bonus on ship which I have?

I don't think so, but you should ask that to the devs to be sure.

7 minutes ago, o Barão said:

I am failing to understand what is your issue, but if you don't like it, write a letter to the devs. 😉

In 1919, I can build this lol. Not sure how mk1 eyeballs looking though coincidence 3 at most is gunna come up with firing solution against this thing streeking across the horizon at 48 knots 😎

I didn't think this was a part of the mod, but wanted to make sure befor I got told to gtfo moder! in the 1.5 thread lol

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

In 1919, I can build this lol. Not sure how mk1 eyeballs looking though coincidence 3 at most is gunna come up with firing solution against this thing streeking across the horizon at 48 knots 😎

I didn't think this was a part of the mod, but wanted to make sure befor I got told to gtfo moder! in the 1.5 thread lol

Do we have the London naval treaty? No.

Do we have the Washington naval treaty? No.

Are heavy cruisers limited to 10000 tons? No.

Are heavy cruisers limited to 8" guns? No.

No, no, no, no. So what is the issue here?

By the way, maybe you didn't notice. But your 48 knots cruiser have only 11% E.E. 🤔

And other thing. I have no idea how it is possible for you to get 48 knots from a hull in NAR since I limited the maximum speed for all ships to more realistic values, unless you are doing your editing the files.

Edited by o Barão

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

And other thing. I have no idea how it is possible for you to get 48 knots from a hull in NAR since I limited the maximum speed for all ships to more realistic values, unless you are doing your editing the files.

He is not Playing with NAR, as you can see his armour is Krupp 2, but i have seen this a lot, a lot of people install your mod wrong, here are on Reddit.

But i think that the gist of what he is saying is right:

We unlocked 100k tons ships in 1929, when there is no chance in hell that a 100k ton ship was going to get built before 1941-42 IRL, Treaties or not.

Also we unlock 7500 tons DDs in 1936, here again, no chance in hell that would happen before 1944 at the earliest.

There are a lot of tech nodes that should get shifted 5-10 years forward IMHO

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, flaviohc16 said:

We unlocked 100k tons ships in 1929, when there is no chance in hell that a 100k ton ship was going to get built before 1941-42 IRL, Treaties or not.

Tillman designs are from 1916. If it was practical to build them is another question, but Tillman, fed up with all the requests from the navy, was asking what was the bigger ship the American shipyards could build at that time.

About 7500 tons DDs at 1936, that is also not unrealistic since there was plans already at the time for large destroyers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spähkreuzer_1938

Note: I added this ship to the German tech tree in NAR.

Also big destroyers, or simple small light cruisers, the difference between them is so small anyway.

Edited by o Barão

Designation of Ship classes is ALWAYS a tough cookie...  EG, what makes a Ticonderoga a Cruiser, when an Burke DDG is almost the exact same tonnage?

Another example is the *possibly* failed USN LCS Classes;  They are, again nearly the same size as a O-HaP FFG.  

My Opinion, is the designation of a class is All about role and nothing else. 

when we get to a GAME that allows for customizing, that blurs even further.   Thankfully o Barão, has given us some ability to work around this.   However, the game itself limits what can be done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flaviohc16 said:

He is not Playing with NAR, as you can see his armour is Krupp 2, but i have seen this a lot, a lot of people install your mod wrong, here are on Reddit.

If you not install the English.lng file, the describes of techs will remain as vanilla, while the tech effects of NAR will take effect.As the English.lng file of NAR won't be translated by the game, it's normally that non-English players choose to not use it.

3 hours ago, flaviohc16 said:

I just forgot to re-apply the English file that's all. 

3 hours ago, flaviohc16 said:

Also we unlock 7500 tons DDs in 1936, here again, no chance in hell that would happen before 1944 at the earliest.

There are a lot of tech nodes that should get shifted 5-10 years forward IMHO

big agree on "modern" hulls unlocking too soon. As early as 1927 you can have most of them, no hull with the word "modern" in its name should be unlocked before 1936.

6 hours ago, o Barão said:

Do we have the London naval treaty? No.

Do we have the Washington naval treaty? No.

Are heavy cruisers limited to 10000 tons? No.

Are heavy cruisers limited to 8" guns? No.

No, no, no, no. So what is the issue here?

YES! exactly, that my reasoning for running 1 tweeked file with your mod. Without any of those treaty limitations, why set a hard limit at Panzerschiffe 11in guns? You can build battleships with 20in guns, that's far more out there. That other ship game, wows, its got numerous ships considered cruisers with at least 12in guns.

here's a French cruiser with 13in

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Marseille 

British cruiser with 3 dual KGV 14in turrets

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Defence

there's even a Russian cruiser running German 15in?

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Sevastopol

This is why i have heavy cruiser main guns set from 8in-14in. Sure this is all fantasy, but so is this game, and the hard limit here is up to 20in gun BBs. Frankly, in this game, if you want to build treaty tonnage and gun heavy cruisers, you should use light cruiser hulls that have 8in guns as the max size, and let the heavy cruiser type of ship be these big gun, big ton treaty violator super cruisers.

But my original point in all of this, with that "modern heavy cruiser 2" being unlocked in my campaign in 1919, with 1922 as the research unlock year, is that that hull is generations more advanced than anything else that floats at the time, that's the only part here that's the problem. After checking the custom battle selection though, it looks like its sort of intended that way, to a degree. After 1934, a ton of other Japanese cruiser hulls rapidly unlock. Its a weird lineup, first in 1922 you go from awful pre-dread armored cruisers to this engineering marvel, do nothing for a decade, then add a bunch of other unique cruiser hulls. A "modern heavy cruiser 1" also gets unlocked in 1925 which further makes me think this was supposed to be a ~1932 ship, not 1922.

6 hours ago, o Barão said:

ur 48 knots cruiser have only 11% E.E. 🤔

Getting maxed out speed on this hull, and a TON of other hulls in the stock game and this mod, is as simple as reducing the beam slider, no editing of any files has been done by me, you overestimate my ability to tinker! On that Japanese hull, a beam of -7.4 to -9.0 will allow you to max the speed bar before the HP requirements start to go exponential. And again, that is the case on a TON of hulls, in EVERY faction. pretty much any hull with a hull form above 100 and a "max speed" of ~35knots can go up to 40 knots plus before costs and weights go exponential.

A low engine efficiency is powerless at that point to effect you much, you're still blowing the doors off anything cruiseing along at ~30 knots. Even if it takes twice as long to reach a top speed of 48 knots, you still get to 35 knots faster than a 35 knot ship with 300% efficiency can get to 35 knots LMAO.

Plus turbo electric drive has +200% acceleration, the funnel and it's capacity are just for show lol. By all means change all of this to be more realistic though, its kind of fun to run these massively OP speed ships, but I am also primarily drawn to realism.

4 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Getting maxed out speed on this hull, and a TON of other hulls in the stock game and this mod, is as simple as reducing the beam slider, no editing of any files has been done by me, you overestimate my ability to tinker!

No it's not! It's IMPOSSIBLE.

I placed a hard cap on all ship types in game to prevent the AI from designing fantasy ships so that it could have more displacement to be used in other more important stuff, like armor or to have engines with a reasonable efficiency.

eRF1C7I.jpeg

No matter what you do inside NAR, your CAs are limited to 36 knots!

So please, with all due respect, never again do that. It is for me already very time-consuming to come here and answer to all the questions related to all the things I did inside the mod. To explain the fantasy decisions made by other players or what bullshit designs wows is doing atm is too much, and I really don't care. I always tried to help everybody, telling them what files you need to go to edit this or that. I really think if anyone is interested, it should go and change the game to fit their playstyle, but NAR is focus in making the game the more realistic as possible inside the game engine limitations.

And turbo electric drives have an insane acceleration, because of the instant torque from the electric engines. Simple as that.  You could argue that should be 143% or maybe 267%, who knows? That value is only there to represent the properties from an electric engine compared to the others used on ships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NiKuTa said:

Update v1.5.0.8 Optx2 is mod compatible ?

I don't know. I didn't update the mod yet. Maybe.

I always recommend the players to block auto updates from steam and wait the mod for being updated first. You can see the instructions in the mod description.

I know, I write that tip, to play without auto update :D

Is anyone know, how "ports" and "shipbuilding capacity" are increasing? It's still confusing. it's auto, by GPD, or by increase max shipyard size

Edited by NiKuTa

1 hour ago, o Barão said:

I don't know. I didn't update the mod yet. Maybe.

I always recommend the players to block auto updates from steam and wait the mod for being updated first. You can see the instructions in the mod description.

NOPE ,

i cant enter game ...

4 hours ago, o Barão said:

No it's not! It's IMPOSSIBLE.

I placed a hard cap on all ship types in game to prevent the AI from designing fantasy ships so that it could have more displacement to be used in other more important stuff, like armor or to have engines with a reasonable efficiency.

eRF1C7I.jpeg

No matter what you do inside NAR, your CAs are limited to 36 knots!

So please, with all due respect, never again do that. It is for me already very time-consuming to come here and answer to all the questions related to all the things I did inside the mod. To explain the fantasy decisions made by other players or what bullshit designs wows is doing atm is too much, and I really don't care. I always tried to help everybody, telling them what files you need to go to edit this or that. I really think if anyone is interested, it should go and change the game to fit their playstyle, but NAR is focus in making the game the more realistic as possible inside the game engine limitations.

And turbo electric drives have an insane acceleration, because of the instant torque from the electric engines. Simple as that.  You could argue that should be 143% or maybe 267%, who knows? That value is only there to represent the properties from an electric engine compared to the others used on ships.

Ah, those max speed setting are in 'ship types' too, I didn't notice that you had adjusted those in any patch notes, I've just been re-aplying my own verson of that to each update for a wile now with the old max speeds from the stock game. Sorry about that confusion.

6 hours ago, NiKuTa said:

I know, I write that tip, to play without auto update :D

Is anyone know, how "ports" and "shipbuilding capacity" are increasing? It's still confusing. it's auto, by GPD, or by increase max shipyard size

From "params" file:

shipyard_start_increase,100,increase of shipyard per year after minimal year

shipyard_max_modifier,3,shipyard size development bonus according to year (LERP max. at 1940),,,,,,,
shipyard_build_amount_max_modifier,7,shipyard tonnage built time speed according to year (LERP max. at 1940),,,,,,,

port_capacity_growth_modifier,1,Affects growth of port capacity,,,,,,

port_capacity_max_modifier,5.5,Port max. scale according to campaign initial year (1890-1940)

4 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Ah, those max speed setting are in 'ship types' too, I didn't notice that you had adjusted those in any patch notes, I've just been re-aplying my own verson of that to each update for a wile now with the old max speeds from the stock game. Sorry about that confusion.

I am almost sure that you are also not using my battle AI and design AI improvements from that file.

11 hours ago, DrownedFish said:

NOPE ,

i cant enter game ...

Can confirm, I can't get in either. I did turn off auto updates, but I only did right before it updated already so that kinda sucks.

Anyone else getting a gray screen on game launch with the new mod update?

I've checked the install instructions and followed them three times with the same result.

Am I missing something?

NVM, figured it out.

Edited by diceman624

2 hours ago, diceman624 said:

Anyone else getting a gray screen on game launch with the new mod update?

I've checked the install instructions and followed them three times with the same result.

Am I missing something?

NVM, figured it out.

How did you fix it? I'm also getting a gray flat screen as it is; I made the mistake of updating the game, lol. My bad.

BETA v9.2 - "Silent hunter" update - N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.5.0.9
  • Some modern Japanese cruisers hulls size reworked. (Can cause some issues in your current campaigns)
  • Doubled the damage from torpedo ammo detonation.
  • Ship types cap speed limit changed to allow a little more freedom.

VERY IMPORTANT:

I don't know when I am going to update the mod again, so to avoid any issues, block the auto updates from steam:

• Set game to update when start game. Do this in game setting(properties)-> update.
  • Don't start game by steam or steam shortcut. Make a shortcut on desktop form a main game .exe like "x:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts.exe"
  • Start a game from this shortcut. Game will run without update.
  • Like 4

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v9.2 "Silent Hunter" update - for UAD v1.5.0.9
10 minutes ago, PalaiologosTheGreat said:

How do I change the weight of a certain tower/funnel? Some of the DD funnels are way too heavy for funnel capacity so I'll be modding that on my own.

In the "parts" file you will see the components weight to edit.

• Like 1

Hey - sorry to bug you, but it seems the Austro-Hungarian turret models are back to the old models again instead of the changed ones. Many thanks for your work so far regardless, though.

1 hour ago, KhanAnon said:

Hey - sorry to bug you, but it seems the Austro-Hungarian turret models are back to the old models again instead of the changed ones. Many thanks for your work so far regardless, though.

I just checked and it is working fine here.