Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.2 - for UAD v1.5.1.3

o Barão

Posted (edited)

BETA v8 - "Battle stations update" - N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.5.0.6 Opt x 2

«Major update»

Changes to AI battle logic:

• Battle AI reworked. Now it is free to do anything. Can chase, rush the enemy, maintain the distance, create battle lines. It is universal and combines the best of the two previous options, plus the upgrades to the AI decisions in battle from this version.*
  • Screen, scout, and follow are enabled for the AI, but in most cases will use independent formations since from my testing, those are what give the best results. Ranges edited for specific divisions' role to help the AI to create coherent battle groups. 15% chance to see abreast formations to add more variety.
  • AI divisions are limited to 3 ships instead of 5 in vanilla. This will help the AI to overwhelm the player with numbers.

*Note: Report to me if you see the AI fleet or individual divisions running from the battlefield. Screenshots will help me a lot to understand why and if it was a good decision or not.

Changes to accuracy:

• Semi realistic accuracy returns. There is also an arcade version featuring x2 the probability to hit the target for the players that enjoy that kind of experience.*
  • The bigger the gun, the more accurate it will be at max ranges.
  • Penalties for the gun's ladder aiming, target range changes, target bearing changes and target turning are lower. This helps guns to maintain a lock to target, and if forced to use the ladder aiming to get a result quicker.*

*Note:

• It is important to have two turrets or more of the same caliber to get a target solution quicker trough salvos.
  • Ships coming fast in your direction or away from you, or doing sharp turns, can still make your guns losing track and enter a "ladder aiming" situation. But it should be much quicker now to get a target solution.
  • Small caliber guns should have an easy time to get the maximum result possible due to the better ROF, but if all at maximum, the bigger the caliber, the better it should be, specially at long ranges.
  • The damage model is made taking into consideration the semi realistic accuracy. Arcade experience can make TBs and DDs very weak in battle, hampering the AI capabilities to fight you.

Changes to the damage model:

• Increased the torpedo damage for all ships. The smaller the ship type, the more devastating will be the explosion.

Changes to the tech tree:

• Accuracy difference from different guns' era are bigger now and this will impose a new challenge for the player. Should the player focus on guns tech and suffer the research penalties, or go to battle with old guns? To make the player more invested in the tech tree. The penalty for focusing on a specific tech is lower now to compensate the player and give more freedom.

Changes to the ship design AI logic:

•  Increased the probability to see bigger secondaries.

Campaign changes:

• Lowered the probability for minor allies to send you offers to buy ships. I was getting too many offers, unrealistic and annoying. Now is a vanilla experience.
  • Increased the tonnage threshold for allies to send you a proposal to build a new ship to simulate the "South American arms race"
  • x2 the army rate factor if at war against a minor nation.  It should help Austria against Serbia as an example.*

*Needs testing.

Changes to ships parts:

Mega funnel variants capacity buffed.

Bugs fixed:

Some Austrians guns issue fixed.

Link to download

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1o53PD65o2wAo-UDrI_PEA2L3N8kstWLs

No need to start a new campaign. Just replace the file and have fun! ☺️

LxTS3FT.jpeg

You will know if you are using the right version by reading the "news".

IMPORTANT:

I don't know when I am going to update the mod again, so to avoid and play the game without any issues, block the auto updates from steam:

• Set game to update when start game. Do this in game setting(properties)-> update.
  • Don't start game by steam or steam shortcut. Make a shortcut on desktop form a main game .exe like "x:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts.exe"
  • Start a game from this shortcut. Game will run without update.

Do not report bugs to the devs if using mods!!

Happy hunting, the Baron!

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v8 "Battle Stations update" - for UAD v1.5.0.6 Optx2

4 hours ago, o Barão said:

The bugs you find!!! :D

That happens because the way they designed the game, it should not be possible to unlock triples and use that turret. I will replace that turret for the regular one.👍

Thank you for the report!

Thank you! It's excellent to see someone so quick at fixing these things, it is wonderful to see! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheBlackCitadel said:

So, found a bug in Beta 7.3.0

For some reason, the Ironclad Battleship III hull for France in 1890, has like 1930-1940 forward tower and funnels. It's hilarious but kinda cursed

20240330162008_1.jpg

Was already fixed in the recent update! 😉

2 hours ago, TheBlackCitadel said:

So, found a bug in Beta 7.3.0

For some reason, the Ironclad Battleship III hull for France in 1890, has like 1930-1940 forward tower and funnels. It's hilarious but kinda cursed

20240330162008_1.jpg

Damn that actually looks kinda good... NGL

13 hours ago, venular271144 said:

im getting a bug where no ships will move not mine or the enemy first time this has happend 

edit: after i left the battle and started a new one my ships could move

From the devs report, that it is a vanilla bug that they are tying to fix in the recent versions, or at least trying to occur less.

Posted (edited)

Important message to all players.

Mod introduction and installation procedures reworked with all the most important changes I made in the last year. Now anyone can go to the first page here in the forum and read everything it needs to know about mod, what it does and how it works.

I apologize for taking too long to do this, but I am no writer, and to write in English is a little nightmare. I will appreciate anyone that points my grammar mistakes in the mod description, so I can fix them.

Edited by o Barão

On 3/30/2024 at 3:51 PM, brothermunro said:

The middle ‘gun’ looks like they added a tube and painted it to confuse the enemy into thinking they had fancy triple turret technology 😂 (it appears to not have a barrel!)

Yes I was also thinking about KMS Emden situation here, but with guns instead of funnel

Just as an afterthought; have you considered changing the gun turret models that the Austro-Hungarians use for some of their turrets to the same model the Italian navy uses? I've found that their Mark 3 Gun Turret model looks far, far closer to the Dual Monarchy's IRL gun turrets than the German model the developers chose. (Pictured is the Italian, then the German, and the Viribus Unitus IRL.) This is just an afterthought, though; and I am not qualified to be a modmaker at all, so I understand that it might be tricky, so no worries. 

one.jpg

two.jpg

four.jpg

1 hour ago, KhanAnon said:

Just as an afterthought; have you considered changing the gun turret models that the Austro-Hungarians use for some of their turrets to the same model the Italian navy uses? I've found that their Mark 3 Gun Turret model looks far, far closer to the Dual Monarchy's IRL gun turrets than the German model the developers chose. (Pictured is the Italian, then the German, and the Viribus Unitus IRL.) This is just an afterthought, though; and I am not qualified to be a modmaker at all, so I understand that it might be tricky, so no worries. 

one.jpg

two.jpg

four.jpg

Interesting suggestion. That first turret is used by the Italians or it is Chinese?

Just now, o Barão said:

Interesting suggestion. That first turret is used by the Italians or it is Chinese?

The first turret in those pictures is the Italian gun turret - though it shares a far closer resemblance to the Austro-Hungarian guns than anything italian I have seen. I cannot post the other gun turrets of Italian dreadnoughts, though if you browse them online, you'll see they are distinctly different than the one in the first picture. As a matter of fact, the turret in the first picture almost looks completely Austro-Hungarian, in my opinion. Even the smaller features of the turret angles on the sides are the same.

so I arrived in 1942, as always: Usa 1890 start, normal difficulty.

The economy started snowballing in 1936 and snowballed completely in 1940, i would say that it's okay:

1) It's the USA in 1940, where they even in IRL went basically "shipyards go brrrrrrr"

2) i have 2/3 of the planet under my control, with 200 provinces, i should have an insane GDP.

The economy for me it's fine, but it's quite crushing for the IA ( but i'm on normal difficulty), because the are always at war with each other.

I love the last 2 patches (7 and 8), The enemy design has become really good and scary, and also the Ai tactics has improved.

What imho need improving:

1) Ai still sometimes put barbettes at the ends of ships ( A turret on barbette and then a B turret without)

2) since the Ai update (patch 8 ) the Ai is a bit too scared of me, even when it shouldn't, leaving also transports to get killed by my ships even when they have the advantage. The only time it stuck around was when it had to protect a lot of TR, but when there are only 2-3 TR it escaped, it's a feature or RNG?

3) I still haven't unlocked auxiliary engine 5, oil 3 and the 21k crew size task force, even though i'm in the "incremental phase" of the tech tree (the end tree nodes). What i have noticed is that when I reached the end trees, the nodes don't change years like in the stock game ( ex: improved propeller 1 is 1930, and improved propeller 2-3-4-5-6-7 is still 1930). This is still this way in 1947, so there is some kind of bug. Also this end bonus don't seems to get updated ( my torpedo fro example don't improve, even when i refit/build a new class.

as always, screenshots with the economy, the tech tree bugs and ai escaping when it shouldn't 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AhwARcHyJNrnBIzpEf0LUnTOmlOnQABq?usp=drive_link

P.s. do you know how to delete my old attachment on the forum?

Edited by flaviohc16

14 hours ago, KhanAnon said:

The first turret in those pictures is the Italian gun turret - though it shares a far closer resemblance to the Austro-Hungarian guns than anything italian I have seen. I cannot post the other gun turrets of Italian dreadnoughts, though if you browse them online, you'll see they are distinctly different than the one in the first picture. As a matter of fact, the turret in the first picture almost looks completely Austro-Hungarian, in my opinion. Even the smaller features of the turret angles on the sides are the same.

It seems there is a little confusion here. I am talking about in game guns and you real life examples, maybe. Anyway, that it is not important. What matters is your suggestion to replace some A-H guns for another model that resembles more the historical Viribius Unitis. And it is a good suggestion. So +1 to you! :D👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Started a 1900 Japanese campaign, and noticed most cruiser gun models 7in and up aren't in line with models used by capital ships

I didn't notice, but that is normal if you see that. If you're crazy enough and have plenty of time, you can in theory design a specific gun language for each ship type.

9 hours ago, flaviohc16 said:

...because the are always at war with each other.

This part it is a little strange for me. If I am not mistaken, before, if someone declared war on me, my allies would join me in the war, but now they need to raise tension first? It is the same for you, right?

I love the last 2 patches (7 and 8), The enemy design has become really good and scary, and also the Ai tactics has improved.

Great! 👍

1) Ai still sometimes put barbettes at the ends of ships ( A turret on barbette and then a B turret without)

I can't do anything about that.

2) I changed the AI behavior to respect more the player power in battle. This is an experimental feature that I am still tweaking, but from the screenshots you uploaded I can see you had more ships. So it wasn't bad a call from the AI.

3) So you are in 1947 and still didn't unlock Oil III and auxiliary 5. Ok, I will take a deep look at the technologies file later and compare to the stock file to see where are the changes made by the devs.

10 minutes ago, o Barão said:

This part it is a little strange for me. If I am not mistaken, before, if someone declared war on me, my allies would join me in the war, but now they need to raise tension first? It is the same for you, right?

Great! 👍

Yeap, but they have an accelerated path to war if your tension is over -50 , as in every month the tension goes up 2-5 points if you have ships in their area

I can't do anything about that.

2) I changed the AI behavior to respect more the player power in battle. This is an experimental feature that I am still tweaking, but from the screenshots you uploaded I can see you had more ships. So it wasn't bad a call from the AI.

Yeah, as I said, a bit scared,but passable, looking back into it, it was a good call

3) So you are in 1947 and still didn't unlock Oil III and auxiliary 5. Ok, I will take a deep look at the technologies file later and compare to the stock file to see where are the changes made by the devs.

Yeap, I didn't unlock oil 3, auxiliary 5 and the last navy drill, the ones that gives you 21k crew for your taskforce, also the late technologies bonuses weren't getting updated on my designs.

Tell me if you need some files from my saves.

I'm starting a USA, 1890, hard campaign and see how it goes.

Thank you for your hard work.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, o Barão said:

I didn't notice, but that is normal if you see that. If you're crazy enough and have plenty of time, you can in theory design a specific gun language for each ship type.

I'm referring to cruisers using a selection of more generic turret models, even in the normal 6in-11in range. As apposed to the Japanese specific turret models that capital ships use.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

see, difference in model selection between a CA and a BB.

I also have feedback on the current AI battle logic: It runs, it only runs, unfortunately. The swarm version was much more challenging and dangerous to deal with.

Edited by Fangoriously

7 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

I'm referring to cruisers using a selection of more generic turret models, even in the normal 6in-11in range. As apposed to the Japanese specific turret models that capital ships use.

see, difference in model selection between a CA and a BB.

A cruiser capable of using 14" guns? That is not from my mod.

10 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

I also have feedback on the current AI battle logic: It runs, it only runs, unfortunately. The swarm version was much more challenging and dangerous to deal with.

I will need screenshots to understand what you are saying.

37 minutes ago, o Barão said:

A cruiser capable of using 14" guns? That is not from my mod.

Of course its from NAR, just with 'shiptypes' tweaked, I wouldn't be bothering you about it if it was from some wholly other mod! See for yourself in a ~1910 custom battle, the heavy cruiser 

1 hour ago, Fangoriously said:

even in the normal 6in-11in range

will be using non Japanese turret models, at least in the mk1-3 range, I'm only at 1909 in my campaign so far.

53 minutes ago, o Barão said:

I will need screenshots to understand what you are saying.

If i want to engage in battle with any force strength vs any force strength, i have to chase them for 5 minutes before I see them, their behavior is exactly what your own ships would do if you selected the retreat command. I'll see about getting pictures of stern chases.