Game-Labs Forum

NAR BETA 3.0.3 "Major Powers update" for UAD 1.6.0.6 opt x4

o Barão

Hello, 

I've dragged all the files into the mods folder, and also put the zip file in the mods folder. I have melon loader and everything, but the installation instructions are not clear. Nothing seems to be working. The mod will not load the new nations. If someone could please help me, I'd love to play this mod. 

On 10/6/2024 at 11:30 AM, flaviohc16 said:

1) The towers on the modern light cruiser 2 (Cleveland) are wayyy too heavy, like 3000 tons for the primary tower and 2000 tons for the 2ndary turret on a 14000 ton ship.

Not only the Cleveland. Others late CL also have heavy towers. This is important to take a look. It should help the AI.

2) modern light cruisers cost too much: my 13k tons heavy cruiser armed with 12x11' guns cost less than my Cleveland clone (also 13k tons)

I mentioned the same thing to the devs a long time ago. If you see an exact clone, same engine, speed, same ammo weight, everything and the CA with more armor is still cheaper, take a screenshot to me to take a look.

3) 2 gun/turret on light cruisers come so late in the tech tree that they get almost outgunned by dds

The issue is not the year. 1916 CL gets double turrets. DDs get double turrets in 1919, in fact IMO is the DDs that are getting the double turrets too soon. It should be much later (around 1942/Akizuki DDs?). Then in 1925 CL gets triple turrets.

4) Modern Torpedo boats: Imho you have 2 choices to make: either make them small dds or patrol boat, because right now they feel in the middle:

- with the 1000 tons limit even if I put on min drought and width I can't max the hull ( 1041 tons, but my limit is at 1000 tons), So if you want to do into the "mini DD territory" you could make them also accept 5' single guns (now limited to 4') and after they are unlocked (together with the 2200 tons dds), you could make them increase at the 3000 tons dds tech tier to 1200 tons and with the last dd tier (7500 tons) at 1500 tons TBs, so you can max out the hull if you want.

- If you want to make them small patrol boats, then they need to be smaller, the 1000 tons limit must be with the ship drought and width maxed out, and the size of the torpedo limited to 21'

This is the list of all Torpedo Boats in WWII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_torpedo_boats_of_World_War_II

I didn't check all of them, but I am almost sure that you will not see a 5" gun. Your suggestion to limit the torpedo size is interesting, but impossible to apply in game. Well, I am almost sure it is impossible.

4 hours ago, CDtrumpet5 said:

Hello, 

I've dragged all the files into the mods folder, and also put the zip file in the mods folder. I have melon loader and everything, but the installation instructions are not clear. Nothing seems to be working. The mod will not load the new nations. If someone could please help me, I'd love to play this mod. 

Same for me - I tried to do that as well, but seem to have hit a dead end. I am unsure what I am doing wrong, so I shall watch here with great interest.

3 hours ago, o Barão said:

I didn't check all of them, but I am almost sure that you will not see a 5" gun. Your suggestion to limit the torpedo size is interesting, but impossible to apply in game. Well, I am almost sure it is impossible.

Set weight_per for the higher-diameter torpedoes to 0 for shiptype TB.

• Like 1

"The issue is not the year. 1916 CL gets double turrets. DDs get double turrets in 1919, in fact IMO is the DDs that are getting the double turrets too soon. It should be much later (around 1942/Akizuki DDs?). Then in 1925 CL gets triple turrets."

Fubuki class destroyers had dual 5 inch guns, Fubuki herself laid down in 1926, commisioned 1928.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Set weight_per for the higher-diameter torpedoes to 0 for shiptype TB.

Great tip! Just need to edit the text to explain the players why is not available.
👍

3 hours ago, Liondrome said:

"The issue is not the year. 1916 CL gets double turrets. DDs get double turrets in 1919, in fact IMO is the DDs that are getting the double turrets too soon. It should be much later (around 1942/Akizuki DDs?). Then in 1925 CL gets triple turrets."

Fubuki class destroyers had dual 5 inch guns, Fubuki herself laid down in 1926, commisioned 1928.

1926 will be then! 🫡

• Like 4

11 hours ago, KhanAnon said:

Same for me - I tried to do that as well, but seem to have hit a dead end. I am unsure what I am doing wrong, so I shall watch here with great interest.

15 hours ago, CDtrumpet5 said:

Hello, 

• Make sure that it is Melon Loader 6.4. not the 6.5 version.
  • Place Taf Dll inside the "Mods" folder.
  • Place NAR mod files unpacked and extracted inside the "Mods" folder.
  • Must be using the UAD 1.6.0.6 opt x4
  • Like 1

---Mod status update---

I am already working on for the next update, but there is one important detail.

Nathan implemented a brilliant batch ship generator for modders to use, that could be the solution for all the problems to give the best gaming experience. Fast loading times to fight good AI designs, is it possible?

However, for that to work the way I want, I need to solve NOW all the issues I have remaining related to ship design. And then I will need to create the thousands of ships for all the years. This will take sometime, and I can't promise now that it will work, but I am having visions...

ed00fa1bb50f47411cde6c19512241398ac44043

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 8

18 hours ago, o Barão said:

---Mod status update---

I am already working on for the next update, but there is one important detail.

Nathan implemented a brilliant batch ship generator for modders to use, that could be the solution for all the problems to give the best gaming experience. Fast loading times to fight good AI designs, is it possible?

However, for that to work the way I want, I need to solve NOW all the issues I have remaining related to ship design. And then I will need to create the thousands of ships for all the years. This will take sometime, and I can't promise now that it will work, but I am having visions...

ed00fa1bb50f47411cde6c19512241398ac44043

For making all of those many ships that will be needed for the years, have you considered enlisting fans to help create ships and send them to you? Like one or two fans for each country to make ships and then send to you. From there you could evaluate the designs and decide if they were good enough for the mod.

I think it would save time

Edited by TheBlackCitadel

3 hours ago, TheBlackCitadel said:

For making all of those many ships that will be needed for the years, have you considered enlisting fans to help create ships and send them to you? Like one or two fans for each country to make ships and then send to you. From there you could evaluate the designs and decide if they were good enough for the mod.

I think it would save time

I think you missed the "Generator" part of Batch Ship Generator. :D 

But I did write the feature in TAF so that human-made ships can be layered on top of AI-made (but still pregenerated) ships, so that still seems like a good idea?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NathanKell said:

But I did write the feature in TAF so that human-made ships can be layered on top of AI-made (but still pregenerated) ships, so that still seems like a good idea?

Oh lol. I must've misunderstood what exactly it was

9 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Mmm,  I have visions of "Design Contests."      But the issue with such a thing, is that OPTIMAL and UNIQUE/GOOD/REALISTIC/INTERESTING are miles and miles apart.      Also, one person's "OPTIMAL" design is another persons "This is stupid" design.  

For better or worse, one thing about Machine designed builds,  They have a pretty consistent "Design language"   Human designs by multiple people have no consistency in the design language, for better or worse.

Edited by Pappystein

Hi Baron. I started a campaign with my country, Brazil, certain that it would be a great challenge. What was my surprise when, in my first war, I achieved an IMMENSE score for destroying some English transports, guaranteeing me in the first round of the war both victory and an absurd war compensation in territories, ships and money. The same thing happened other times, with other nations. I'm sure this is some kind of bug, no? What could have happened? Is there a way to fix this problem? Thank you very much

6 hours ago, Smitt132 said:
Hi Baron. I started a campaign with my country, Brazil, certain that it would be a great challenge. What was my surprise when, in my first war, I achieved an IMMENSE score for destroying some English transports, guaranteeing me in the first round of the war both victory and an absurd war compensation in territories, ships and money. The same thing happened other times, with other nations. I'm sure this is some kind of bug, no? What could have happened? Is there a way to fix this problem? Thank you very much

Yes there is. It is the VP gained for sinking transports. I will nerf that value in the next update.

Thanks for the feedback. 👍

il2cpp_init detour failed: Failed to load hostfxr. Please make sure you have installed the .NET 6.0 runtime.
[15:34:51.149] [ERROR] il2cpp_init detour failed: Failed to load hostfxr. Please make sure you have installed the .NET 6.0 runtime.

I keep getting this error message, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: I'm just stupid.

Edited by A.R.Euro XVIII
  • Like 1

---Mod status update---

"The good"

• Hundreds of towers and funnels stats are being edited, mostly related to modern cruisers era, to fix the issue where it is possible to see a tower in a cruiser with a weight of thousands tons, totally unrealistic. Now, everything related to cruisers towers should be in hundreds tons scale. Some towers were removed and others added to improve the design language for some ships. Some tower's size changed to look more realistic. W.I.P.
  • Torpedo boats realism improvements: Torpedo size limit to 21", a tonnage increased in 1935 to 1300 tons.
  • Destroyers double turrets will be unlocked now in 1926.
  • Since I can now limit the AI guns per hull, thanks to Taf mod, I can order the AI to always use big guns when possible. No more BBs with 9" guns in theory. *Needs more testing.
  • Hidden bonus research value for all AI nations set to a generic value to prevent cheating. *Needs testing.
  • Research bonus to the AI nations in higher difficulties removed from the mod, now the AI will only get an income buff.
  • VP from sinking transports rebalanced to prevent easy wins.
  • The tension modifier from our allies in relation with our enemies disabled in the mod. With the new Taf changes to how alliances work, this modifier should be irrelevant now.
  • The ship batch generator from Nathan Kell is amazing. I manage to create around 6800 ships from 1890-1910 for testing purposes in one night, however there is a big problem. *More below.

e5n9LZZ.jpeg

• I created a ship design style for the AI to follow so it can make a design for the american Experimental Dreadnought I hull (impossible in the current public mod version). However I still don't discover how to prevent the AI to use main guns on the sides, that is why I am forcing the AI to use a negative beam value in this hull, but I hope to learn more about how the AI designs ships so it can improve the design language in the future.

"The bad"

• I am failing to find a way to make Britain to start the campaign with more ships.

"The ugly"

• Where the Taf ship generator is amazing to create thousands of ships to speed up the campaign/turn loading times, I am still seeing this bug in some ships.

LRueuen.jpeg

This is an old bug from my experience in using the shared designs mechanic in the past. At this point, I don't know if it is something related to the mod that is causing a conflict or if is a bug from vanilla game. I will need to run more tests to find more about this and to see if it is possible to fix it.

If not possible to fix it well, fast campaign loading times with the mod will only be a dream.:(

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

---Mod status update---

"The good"

• Hundreds of towers and funnels stats are being edited, mostly related to modern cruisers era, to fix the issue where it is possible to see a tower in a cruiser with a weight of thousands tons, totally unrealistic. Now, everything related to cruisers towers should be in hundreds tons scale. Some towers were removed and others added to improve the design language for some ships. Some tower's size changed to look more realistic. W.I.P.
  • Torpedo boats realism improvements: Torpedo size limit to 21", a tonnage increased in 1935 to 1300 tons.
  • Destroyers double turrets will be unlocked now in 1926.
  • Since I can now limit the AI guns per hull, thanks to Taf mod, I can order the AI to always use big guns when possible. No more BBs with 9" guns in theory. *Needs more testing.
  • Hidden bonus research value for all AI nations set to a generic value to prevent cheating. *Needs testing.
  • Research bonus to the AI nations in higher difficulties removed from the mod, now the AI will only get an income buff.
  • VP from sinking transports rebalanced to prevent easy wins.
  • The tension modifier from our allies in relation with our enemies disabled in the mod. With the new Taf changes to how alliances work, this modifier should be irrelevant now.
  • The ship batch generator from Nathan Kell is amazing. I manage to create around 6800 ships from 1890-1910 for testing purposes in one night, however there is a big problem. *More below.

To be clear the generator is already in the game, just disabled because it is a debug feature. I just went through the work of recreating the UI for it (based on what I determined the dev team's UI to be) so that it could be used. :) That said, before I found it I was going to write my own, so...yeah I would have made one either way. :D 

e5n9LZZ.jpeg

• I created a ship design style for the AI to follow so it can make a design for the american Experimental Dreadnought I hull (impossible in the current public mod version). However I still don't discover how to prevent the AI to use main guns on the sides, that is why I am forcing the AI to use a negative beam value in this hull, but I hope to learn more about how the AI designs ships so it can improve the design language in the future.

This doesn't look hard to do by editing randParts. You need to find the rules that affect this hull that involve main-caliber side guns. As far as I can tell they are 388, 389, 414, 417, 418, 421, 431, and 486. These are the rules that check for the tech var use_main_side_guns and don't require tags that the hull lacks. To make these rules no longer apply to this hull, we need to do two things: First, add a tag to the hull (let's call it NoSideGuns), and second, make each of these rules exclude hulls with that tag. So in the param column of parts.csv for that hull, add NoSideGuns amongst all the params. Then, for each of those randPart lines, in the params colum, you'll see one or more params. You'll want to add

and(!tag[NoSideGuns])

to the params for each of them. So if there's not already "" around the params add them, then add a comma at the end, a space, and then and(!tag[NoSideGuns])

just like you'd add a param normally. The "and" means that all of the arguments inside must be matched (the "or" operators mean at least one must be matched) and the !tag means "the hull must not have this tag".

Once you make those changes, those rules should not longer apply to any hull with the NoSideGuns param tag.

"The bad"

• I am failing to find a way to make Britain to start the campaign with more ships.

It appears that the game has a cap of building 5 ships per (pre-campaign-start) turn. It may build fewer if the nation's budget does not allow for it. So to increase Britain's ship count, you need to increase the amount of pregame shipbuilding done, then make sure other nations' revenue or naval budgets start lower.

"The ugly"

• Where the Taf ship generator is amazing to create thousands of ships to speed up the campaign/turn loading times, I am still seeing this bug in some ships.

LRueuen.jpeg

This is an old bug from my experience in using the shared designs mechanic in the past. At this point, I don't know if it is something related to the mod that is causing a conflict or if is a bug from vanilla game. I will need to run more tests to find more about this and to see if it is possible to fix it.

If not possible to fix it well, fast campaign loading times with the mod will only be a dream.:(

Do I understand correctly that the issue is casemate guns that are not mounted correctly to casemate mounts when you load the ship? Can you send me this ship file? And can you tell me how you got the game to do this?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, o Barão said:

VP from sinking transports rebalanced to prevent easy wins.

Since in 90% of cases we don't have the option to "attack the convoy", but only auto-battle,  there are no "easy wins" here. Where my pair of BCs would sink 100% of all transports, having a complete advantage in speed and guns, auto-battle destroys 2 transports out of 10-12. And I get a ridiculous 10-14 VP. What "easy wins" are we talking about here?

22 hours ago, A.R.Euro XVIII said:

il2cpp_init detour failed: Failed to load hostfxr. Please make sure you have installed the .NET 6.0 runtime.
[15:34:51.149] [ERROR] il2cpp_init detour failed: Failed to load hostfxr. Please make sure you have installed the .NET 6.0 runtime.

I keep getting this error message, what am I doing wrong?

Edit: I'm just stupid.

"Please make sure you have installed the .NET 6.0 runtime."

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet/6.0

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NathanKell said:

To be clear the generator is already in the game, just disabled because it is a debug feature. I just went through the work of recreating the UI for it (based on what I determined the dev team's UI to be) so that it could be used. :) That said, before I found it I was going to write my own, so...yeah I would have made one either way. :D

:D

This doesn't look hard to do by editing randParts. You need to find the rules that affect this hull that involve main-caliber side guns. As far as I can tell they are 388, 389, 414, 417, 418, 421, 431, and 486. These are the rules that check for the tech var use_main_side_guns and don't require tags that the hull lacks. To make these rules no longer apply to this hull, we need to do two things: First, add a tag to the hull (let's call it NoSideGuns), and second, make each of these rules exclude hulls with that tag. So in the param column of parts.csv for that hull, add NoSideGuns amongst all the params. Then, for each of those randPart lines, in the params colum, you'll see one or more params. You'll want to add

and(!tag[NoSideGuns])

to the params for each of them. So if there's not already "" around the params add them, then add a comma at the end, a space, and then and(!tag[NoSideGuns])

just like you'd add a param normally. The "and" means that all of the arguments inside must be matched (the "or" operators mean at least one must be matched) and the !tag means "the hull must not have this tag".

Once you make those changes, those rules should not longer apply to any hull with the NoSideGuns param tag.

It seems it removed the possibility of seeing side main guns near the bow and stern, but is still happening in the middle. I also applied your instruction to another 2 lines, and from what I'm seeing this is related to "G2" ships, so there are probably many more similar lines where I need to apply this rule.

Also, a "BIG" improvement would be to also remove any possibility of using barbettes for the secondaries in the sides. If you have any tip, it would be much appreciated. I will upload the files and DM. 

It appears that the game has a cap of building 5 ships per (pre-campaign-start) turn. It may build fewer if the nation's budget does not allow for it. So to increase Britain's ship count, you need to increase the amount of pregame shipbuilding done, then make sure other nations' revenue or naval budgets start lower.

Do I understand correctly that the issue is casemate guns that are not mounted correctly to casemate mounts when you load the ship? Can you send me this ship file? And can you tell me how you got the game to do this?

I tried playing around with this modifier "aiShipbuilding" in the aipersonalities file, but it seems is been applied during the campaign, not when the game starts, which can be already a good thing. Also tried increasing the budget, but I didn't notice any major difference and ofc now I am creating an unrealistic economy value for one nation. Creating a new problem.

I will send the British 1890 campaign. Just open the shipyard and look at the CA design.

• Like 1