Game-Labs Forum

Anyone else playing Battleship only?

Sandermatt

I realize I am building nothing but battleships, not because it is strong, but because it is so much easier to control than a large fleet.

A side benefit is that they are slso very hard to sink, so I can typically evacuate the damaged ones.

• Like 2

Not entirely, but at least in the 1890 starts I usually begin with BBs only, since everything else is to crap it's barely useable. A CL below 25 knots and with 30% engine efficiency because you don't have enough room to put the single funnel model you have down in sufficient numbers is not something I'm going to put to sea...

Over time I then add the other classes once their hulls get into a usable state.

Mind you that was how I did it in past versions. With the current beta version (1.06) I haven't been able to play a campaign long enough to use anything other than BBs and CAs before either a bug (usually the VP bug) forced me to restart or a new patch came out and deleted the save.

That being said, I imagine BB only or BB+BC should work perfectly fine in late-game too and certainly sounds like a less fiddly experience than managing small ships. I just like the more historically accurate approach, albeit within certain limits.

Edited by Norbert Sattler

You can get away with playing BB/BC only, you can also do CA only as well. AI do not armour their ship much, the generic 1920 CA hull equipped with 11.5" inch is a excellent jack of all trade (they are superior to later CA of all nation somehow).

I am but it seems to break the AI in that they won't send their ships out to engage yours so you just end up sitting around the map blockading everything with no real fights. As soon as you send out some DDs though, oh boy do things go sideways in a hurry!

On 6/4/2022 at 3:06 AM, Norbert Sattler said:

Not entirely, but at least in the 1890 starts I usually begin with BBs only, since everything else is to crap it's barely useable. A CL below 25 knots and with 30% engine efficiency because you don't have enough room to put the single funnel model you have down in sufficient numbers is not something I'm going to put to sea...

Over time I then add the other classes once their hulls get into a usable state.

Mind you that was how I did it in past versions. With the current beta version (1.06) I haven't been able to play a campaign long enough to use anything other than BBs and CAs before either a bug (usually the VP bug) forced me to restart or a new patch came out and deleted the save.

That being said, I imagine BB only or BB+BC should work perfectly fine in late-game too and certainly sounds like a less fiddly experience than managing small ships. I just like the more historically accurate approach, albeit within certain limits.

It does, with the bonus that in later era's the main guns of 12/14/15/16 become sniper rifles and will blow up a destroyer with 1-2 shots if you have radar tech

Yes, but not exclusively and I’d love an addition during campaign setup to limit the AI’s ability to build each ship class. Something like the options in setting up custom games but with a slider affecting the preference for the AI to build that class from, say, 150% (greater than usual preference) down to 0% (will not build).

Smaller ships are great but lead to many many tedious battles. Great once in a while but tedious when too common.

BB/BC/CA most of the time. I like CLs, but a good light cruiser is expensive to build, and they are often unable to use their torpedoes, making them not a very good investment. Destroyers often explode from one hit, which is sad. I'm building a few CLs and DDs towards the end of the campaign to hunt down the remnants of the enemy fleet, which often consists of these classes of ships.