Game-Labs Forum

27% weight offset on a perfectly symmetrical ship?

I've observed similar oddities sporadically.  Shifting components incrementally changes it but there is a gross offset to the weight distribution.  Seems that aside from it being a bug, ballast was used to balance out ship's unequal weight distributions (of course that has its limits, 27% being likely beyond it).

Hulls themselves in-game are somehow unbalanced. All of them.
Which makes sense as a general rule, because you know a ship is not homogenous block of material, and on top of that hull's ends are clearly different even on the outside, as are actual positions of the components.. Deck higher, deck lower, this makes big difference.
But that being said, asymmetry of in-game hulls in most cases seem to be totally wrong. Most dreadnoughts have stupidly high forward offset, for example, and *require* you to place a turret as far back as physically possible as counterweight if you have at least one turret forward from the bridge.

I've noticed this too on the pre-dreadnoughts, and especially on the tumblehome ships there's typically an extreme aft weight offset. 
My personal theory with this has to do with the ram bow. Historically, Ram bows sometimes contained a torpedo tube, and due to this pre-dreadnought hulls often have a displacement offset. In my screencaps the only difference I had was the addition of an 18" torp tube in the bow of the ship with increased ammo stores, and this balanced out the offset. I'm a bit of an armchair, so my assessment may be a bit flawed but that's generally what I found to balance out the displacement within the game.image.thumb.png.61df4dc8949ca75ef57fdad2ed2180e5.png

image.thumb.png.bdea71354bf12074ab4d75957d4372fc.png