Game-Labs Forum

Random performance in game

filmaty98

Greetings. 
As in title, I'm experiencing completly random game performance on my laptop. Sometimes everything's absolutely fine, game works preety good, the image on the screen is smooth, no stuttering through whole battle, and there are not any kind of fps drops, while sometimes (preety often in fact) I'm experiencing terrible fps drops (I mean drop to ~5-10 fps), especially, while looking at ships set on fire, shooting main guns, or zooming into details. 
My computer, to my knowledge, meets "recomended system requirements" (It runs games like RDR2 and Cyberpunk in "ultra" in ~30 fps) and is even far more efficient than these. Belowe its specifications:
-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
-Core i7-9750H
-16384 MB RAM
-RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB (dedicated)
-Intel UHD Graphics 630 128MB (integrated)
I'm forcing usage of Nvidia graphics card through "Nvidia Control Panel" both for "launcher.exe" and "build.exe". I couldn't find any other ".exe" files which it would make sense for me to force usage of dedicated graphics card. I tested only "fantastic", "beautiful" and "good" settings, with the same results. Completely random. Moreover, performance does not depend on number of ships in battle (or it's types), as I got different performance during same random battles played once more. 

On 1/23/2021 at 1:34 AM, filmaty98 said:

Greetings. 
As in title, I'm experiencing completly random game performance on my laptop. Sometimes everything's absolutely fine, game works preety good, the image on the screen is smooth, no stuttering through whole battle, and there are not any kind of fps drops, while sometimes (preety often in fact) I'm experiencing terrible fps drops (I mean drop to ~5-10 fps), especially, while looking at ships set on fire, shooting main guns, or zooming into details. 
My computer, to my knowledge, meets "recomended system requirements" (It runs games like RDR2 and Cyberpunk in "ultra" in ~30 fps) and is even far more efficient than these. Belowe its specifications:
-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
-Core i7-9750H
-16384 MB RAM
-RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB (dedicated)
-Intel UHD Graphics 630 128MB (integrated)
I'm forcing usage of Nvidia graphics card through "Nvidia Control Panel" both for "launcher.exe" and "build.exe". I couldn't find any other ".exe" files which it would make sense for me to force usage of dedicated graphics card. I tested only "fantastic", "beautiful" and "good" settings, with the same results. Completely random. Moreover, performance does not depend on number of ships in battle (or it's types), as I got different performance during same random battles played once more. 

Admiral, could you please clarify if performance is changing during a game session, or it is only either good or bad for a given session?

On 1/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, Ink said:

Admiral, could you please clarify if performance is changing during a game session, or it is only either good or bad for a given session?

The performance is changing during one game session, and it does not matter if I exit and enter game once more. There are not "only bad" or "only good" game sessions, every single is mixed. Today I played 4 random battles (in a row), and during the 2nd one I decided to collect some informations for You from task manager (CPU & GPU usage) and fps counter from nvidia maybe to further clarify of problem, but honestly I'm not sure if they will help at all. Unfortunately, I started collecting them from the middle of the second game, so you have to trust my word in case of first one and first half of the second one.

-1st battle: 5BBs (US) vs. 4BCs & 2BBs (GER) (both 1907) (settings: changing during battle)
It was my first battle this day, and basicaly first thing after I turned on computer, and I experienced absolutely terrible fps drops only during watching in details firing main guns or burning ships (especially when both simultaneously were on the screen). When zooming in on the BC with "extensive fire" there was I think around 2-5 fps (really terrible, and absolutelu unplayable; even during pause it was still maybe 5 fps at most. Maybe.), and just after burning or firing ship was disappearing off the screen the fps were jumping back to normal, and picture on screen was smooth again. Seeing this I set priority in task meneger to "high" for build.exe and went back to game. No result. Later I tried to change graphics settings, and on the "Simple" it was possible to watch on screen burning or shooting ships, no matter at what speed game was set, it was I think between 20-30 fps (unenjoyable, but playable). At "fastest" settings it was absolutely playable and possible to watch buring and schooting ships. Post effects settings were also tested, but they have not influenced results I descripted above in any, even slightest way. 

-2nd battle: 4BBs (US) vs. 4BBs (GER) (both 1907) (settings: whole battle fantastic)
During this battle at the begining everything was ok, picture on the screen was quite smooth, and it was even during first stage of battle, during firsts fire exchanges. But then, again, after some short time leading ship in the line was set on fire, and when zooming in to see whole battleline from the bows perspective I noticed drop of fps from stable 61-57 (nvidia fps counter was on) to 18-25 (for the whole time I was watching them from this perspective, I turned camera elsewhere - 60 fps, back on leading ship -20 fps, and 20 fps holds), so i pressed "alt+tab", went to task manager and checked usage of CPU (<50% at that moment, no peaks) and GPU (<80% at that moment, no peaks). After i came back I noticed game still displaying battleline with leading burning ship but it was fluent 60 fps. And since that moment during battle the biggest fps drop was as I remember to ~25, when watching in detail exploding BC. But these ~25 fps were just for 1-2s maybe. 

-3rd battle: 4BBs (US) vs. 4BBs (GER) (both 1907) (settings: whole battle fantastic)
I just played once again battle with the same settings and BB design as previous one. AI of course had different design. And in this battle.. it was nothing special to mention here. Completely. Biggest drop even during watching on screen in detail multiple burning, shooting BBs (among them even one exploding at the same time) was to 42 fps. As in previous case CPU usage was steady <50% (one peak to <80% at 42 fps-drop moment), and GPU usage was <50% through whole battle (no peaks). During shooting of course there also were drops, but without counter unnoticable - to ~55 or the worst during shooting to ~45 fps.  

-4th battle: 4BBs & 2CAs (US) vs. 5BCs & 2BBs (GER) (both 1907) (settings: whole battle fantastic)
Again, in general, no major drops like during first battle at all. At some point there was a drop to 35 fps, for no clear for me reason (there were fires of course), (unfortunately i didn't checked usage of CPU or GPU at that moment), but it was just for a few secs, and without changing camera position everything went back to stable ~55fps. During explosion of BC drop to 44 fps and went back to normal. During other fires or shooting drop just little below 50 fps and holds, and if I turn camera elswhere - back to 60. CPU usage - steady <50%, GPU usage - between 40-50%. 

Just few more words at the end. According to task manager at "fantastic" settings, usage of dedicated GPU memory was steady 2.2 GB or around that. And on the "fastest" settings - 1.5 GB. All these battles were played in a row, one immediately after another, at different speeds, x1 (most time of every battle), but also x3 and x5, and I didn't noticed any significant fps drops at different speed (maaaaybe 2 fps drop on higher speeds - maybe). The only other programs that were on, were "paint" and "task manager" (and of course nvidia geforce experience, but it somehow works in background). Hopefully This wall of text will somehow help You in solving this issue I asked You to help me with.

On screen below mentioned in "2nd battle" jump from 18-25 back to 60 without fire extinguishing, and for no clear reason (at last for me).

Edited by filmaty98

And here on the other hand is example of mentioned above constant ~5 fps. If I turn camera elswhere off the fire - i will instantly jump again to ~60 fps, but as long as I want to keep it on burning ship I will have ~5 fps. This was first game after starting new game session. CPU usage was ~40-50% and GPU ~80-90%. This was battle 3 BBs vs 3 BBs (FRA vs GER, both 1890).  Normally I'd blame too weak computer specification, but as I mentioned in first post - according to Your recomended requirements - my computer should meet them with reserve, and I had already battles with greater number of ships (and more diversed types) where performance was not droping below ~30fps, which is still very acceptable.

Edited by filmaty98

Same is happening to me today! It's when I press F11, the screenshot key. FPS drop dramatically and exponentially everytime I press the key, and the whole computer starts freezing, with up to 98% memory on the game's proccess and system interruptions.

53 minutes ago, Ink said:

Admiral, could you please clarify if you tried to verify integrity of game files in the Launcher via "Repair" option?

I am trying to do that, but I get the following message: "Game installation failed with an error. Could not create folder for temp files. Please try again".

I can launch the game normally, but I get that when trying to repair.

50 minutes ago, SPANISH_AVENGER said:

Same is happening to me today! It's when I press F11, the screenshot key. FPS drop dramatically and exponentially everytime I press the key, and the whole computer starts freezing, with up to 98% memory on the game's proccess and system interruptions.

I am trying to do that, but I get the following message: "Game installation failed with an error. Could not create folder for temp files. Please try again".

I can launch the game normally, but I get that when trying to repair.

Admiral, please try this workaround: 

2 hours ago, Ink said:

Admiral, could you please clarify if you tried to verify integrity of game files in the Launcher via "Repair" option?

Yes, once. Before I've even started this topic on forum, and none error has occurred during repairing. And I haven't tried reinstallation yet.

17 minutes ago, filmaty98 said:

Yes, once. Before I've even started this topic on forum, and none error has occurred during repairing. And I haven't tried reinstallation yet.

Admiral, once the problem happens again, could you please alt-tab, open task manager and make sure there is only one instance of the game running?

1 hour ago, Ink said:

Admiral, once the problem happens again, could you please alt-tab, open task manager and make sure there is only one instance of the game running?

Ok, so I played today one more battle (5 BBs vs 5 BBs)and problem occured again. I made sure, that there's only one instance of build.exe and one instance of launcher.exe in task manager's details. As you see on the screen even during pause there are 6 fps. CPU usage is steady just little <40% and GPU usage is steady ~50%, but, while looking at this ship it jumps to little over 90%, and while turning camera elsewhere it comes back to ~50%.

1.png

On 1/26/2021 at 5:04 PM, Ink said:

Admiral, please try this workaround: 

14 hours ago, Ink said:

Admirals, thank you for the feedback, we will investigate the problem further and fix it as soon as possible

Thank you for your attention!

The workaround didn't work, so I ended up simply straight up deleting and uninstalling everything related to UA:D on my computer, and doing a fresh installation. It works perfectly now!