Game-Labs Forum

Torpedo duds

Zuikaku

...well, or lack of them...

I find it highly unrealistic that there are no torpedo duds at all and all torpedoes are flawless.  In this time period (especially pre WW1) there was quite the high rate off dud torpedoes.

Now in the game any torpedo hit on any angle will result with detonation. In reality, even '40 era torpedoes often needed ideal impact angles in order to detonate.

My suggestion is that tech research can improve reliability of torpedoes. Also introduction of magnetic exploders can make torpedo attacks under all angles possible.

Also I suggest following types of dud torpedoes:

1. Torpedo fails to detonate due to impact angle being too sharp.

2. Torpedo detonates prematurely on the way to the target.

3. Torpedo fails to run straigth and either changes bearing or starts circular run (thus endangering friendly ships)

4. Torpedo immediately fails to run when launched/breaks when hitting the surface.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Zuikaku said:

My suggestion is that tech research can improve reliability of torpedoes. Also introduction of magnetic exploders can make torpedo attacks under all angles possible.

More like fulminated mercury one.
But yeah, playing with fuzes is a lot of fun and I hope for separate tech tree for that.

And a magnetic self-protection of course.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the American's especially had torpedo problems, one example is when USS Tinosa launched in total 15 torpedoes at a Japanese cargo ship, of which over half hit, to only cause limited flooding and a loss of speed. But, that's just a more well known case, many a American torpedo detonated to no effect, this was mainly due to the magnetic detonators but other factors played some part. Another well known example is the accidental Swordfish raid on HMS Sheffield, where most of the torpedoes dropped exploded on contact with the water due to the magnetic detonators. But, the raid on Sheffield led to Ark Royal (the ship that launched the Swordfish) switching the torpedoes to contact detonators for the raid on Bismarck that disabled the rudder. 

Edited by Worry_Rock