Game-Labs Forum

New Animation Ideas

Skyguy1944

I know the campaign is taking full priority right now (as it should) but I thought of some cool animations that could be added.

1. Explosions upon destruction: When a ship suffers a death from fire or catastrophic ammo damage, they should explode! I'm thinking like a big section of the ship gets blown off, sheared in half, etc. Fireballs, shrapnel, many bits. (Possibly even damaging nearby ships).
  2. Weapon recoil animations: This one is small, but gives guns a bit more of a weighty feel. This coupled with the already-implemented loading animation would be superb. (I'm remembering Battlestations: Pacific and its animations.)

Short list, but maybe this sparks ideas for other animations, if this hasn't already been brought up a ton of times.

• Like 3

There is recoil, it's just really short in comparison to some land based guns, and often hard to see, because you know, big boom around
And because it's hard to see, it's not that important actually. But won't hurt anyone if added

Edited by Cpt.Hissy
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 4:00 PM, Norbert Sattler said:

While I would appreciate the former, the latter shouldn't be done, because that's not how it is in reality.

You can easily find lots of mini-videos on youtube where you can see battleship guns not moving at all when firing.

That's not how it works. Let's say your guns indeed don't move when they fire. Where will all the recoil go? A recoil dampener stretches out the recoil so that the force exerted onto the gun and turret mounts is not too big, so if there isn't a recoil buffer that turret is not going to last too long.

• Like 1

I know that there is always some recoil, I just thought that OP meant something like the compressing barrels of certain artillary pieces and tank-mounted guns that are so popular in fiction, rather than the small movement you'd only notice if you zoomed in really close to the model.

It's a misunderstanding that the posted video above already cleared up for me.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:49 AM, Norbert Sattler said:

It's a misunderstanding that the posted video above already cleared up for me.

Yeah, I meant something like what the video showed. Not a huge thing, mind you, but a small animation that would give that much more life to the vehicle.