Game-Labs Forum

Bobbing Effect

Skeksis

Ship aft decks are awash, even in clam seas…

pjhiELi.png

It seems that there’s only one centre point connecting ships to the surface, this results in the aft section lowering to beneath the surface.

If there were two points of connection, one forwards and one aft, then the aft point could always remain relative to the waves and only the bow point to surf.

Wouldn’t a two point system be more realistic?

Edited by Skeksis
  • Like 6

I would also have a system for calm, smooth, regular, rough, choppy and turbulant waves (i dont know the correct terminology) so that the ship either doesn't bob up and down in the seas as much at all or a lot and maybe shift side to side as well.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The game could also do with better visualisations of different waves, i watched a vid of a modern DD (basically those things are the size of bloody light cruisers and heavy cruisers at times) almost get washed over due to very large waves. Those shouldn't be common but should be a thing and probs be categorised under Very heavy or extreme weather which should have the relevant bonus and negatives applied plus physical attributes (ships leaning more or having more trouble hitting things).

• Like 2

Agreed - I've noticed that in general ships get thrown around far too much. Part of this is actually that I haven't seen any sea conditions I would characterise as under sea state 5, and mostly around 6-7, even when the game characterises it as 'calm.' Obviously I couldn't measure the waves exactly, but I've been ocean sailing a fair few times so I know the deal (table attached for interest.)

Definition-of-sea-state.png.77a862653b6412a654e2e6cf77313451.png

The diagram below shows different sea states in relation to a modern 4,500 ton warship.

1798189083_2020-08-2718_51_20-Window.png.4434fc41eb0450084e4e1e1657e254fb.png

Here's an interesting article about the USN neglecting to design for even >3 sea state, as it adds a whole host of difficulties to operating and fighting even a modern vessel. Even full-on modern warships are not generally required to be combat-effective in anything higher than state 5-6. There is no way that the ships in this game can operate effectively, or even safely, in waves we commonly see. Also of note, the article mentions wave and wind modelling (research here) that says the sea state across the northern hemisphere is below 5 80% of the time.

I'm sure the ship/wave motion modelling could use some improvement, but it would be nowhere near as apparent if we had a wider and calmer range of sea conditions. If that were the case, I would also apply a much more severe penalty to speed, gunnery, steering, damage control and so on in the waves we currently see. Imagine trying to do anything besides hang on and stay alive in a destroyer literally flying thirty-fifty feet in the air every five seconds.

Edited by SonicB
Added diagram