Game-Labs Forum

Campaign Logistics - Gun sizes.

1 hour ago, DougToss said:

1) That's a pretty tiresome ad hominem and you only have to look at the reactions to my posts to see that. If you don't understand, you're choosing not to understand, since I have posted pretty extensively about naval history, game design, and arguments for granularity versus accessibility. I've made pretty clear and concise arguments, and you can engage with them or not.

Judging from your recent posts i beg to differ, your arguement seems to be the fact that players will be able to build any kind of ship at any year irrespective of any restrictions, which will clearly not be the case when it comes to the campaign, especially since treaties will be a thing.

My arguement is basically that ship design as a whole shouldn't be shafted entirely for realism, the game itself is based around the designer then realism, removing or heavily restricting it the former will make for a less-inspired while that looks good wouldn't generate the same kind of attachment designing your own ships will.

Sure it would be cool too see historical ships duke it out, but designing your own ship/s adds a level of interest that the basic mechanics we have outside the designer fail to generate on the same level

2) Based on what exactly? Games have rules. In fact, that is what systematizes games and separates them from free-form play.

Well, based on the fact that if you make a game incredibly restrictive then the avg time for enjoyment goes down and same goes for absolute freedom.

3) Conjecture. Look at the media outlets covering it and forum discussions off-site and you'll see grogs are following this game more closely than … well whoever you imagine the general audience to be. 

Maybe, but you would still be missing a major core-part of the game and also a fundemental selling point for said game. I mean adding options isn't exactly going to kill the game (for both restrictions and rules btw). Also these 'grogs' do not dictate what happens, its a combo of the loudest majority and the devs having the final say.

I hear your arguments and I disagree.

Fair enough.

That's not me wanting a game for myself, that's me disagreeing with you on pretty fundamental terms.

Fair enough.

Also im not for removing rules or constraints, just preventing them getting to the point that designing your own ship becomes monotone or pointless. Im fine with weight restrictions (i don't think you can even build a ship in 1900 at 40k tonnes) and other restrictions that make sense.

Either way i have a 10hr shift tommorrow. see yas.

also tone down on the unessecary insults.

Edited by Cptbarney
  • Like 2

I see what you're saying, I disagree, and pending some new information here, there's not much left to discuss. Which isn't to say I haven't enjoyed a lively back-and-fourth between what I'll call the "Ship's badge" faction and the "anime waifu" faction, but we've been down this road before since the first alpha. 

Everybody is entitled to your opinion, and no insult were used.

Enjoy your shift. 10 hours on a weekend, you must be essential. Stay safe out there! 😷

Edited by DougToss

On 5/31/2020 at 1:14 AM, Skoggatt said:

Another way to limit the number of gun calibers you choose to use would be to have some sort of system where you have to develop gun models before putting them on ships. So if you want 12" guns on your next BB, you have to spend money and time developing a 12" gun. It would make sense if better versions of a given caliber of gun were developed from earlier ones faster and cheaper, funneling the player towards investing in a few calibers of weapons at a time. Thus most of your guns might have either 12", 6", or 4" guns with a few outliers, just as in real fleets.

I think one could do two things:

- make the player develop a certain artillery piece

- make Logistics/supplies more resource expensive for every new/additional ammo type

So you can produce all sorts of stuff but gain efficiency/synergies by sticking to a couple of pieces 

• Like 1