Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BobRoss0902

The nature of shipbuilding and technology.

The thing is about capital ships, is that often times they spend so long being built that by the time they are commissioned they are already out of date. for example if you were building 6 pre-dreadnoughts, and then HMS Dreadnought launches. Your new pre dreadnoughts are immediately out of date as soon as they launch, or by the time you are done building your ship that can out range any enemy on the seas, a better gun with more range has come out and so on.

Yes that is true, however i will like to point out that most ships, even after being obsolete by a few generations, still continued to serve in many roles such as Schleswig-Holstein.

This is going to be an interesting aspect of the game.  Building a ship knowing that it will become obsolete.  Yet you cannot sit back and just not build anything.  If you need that defense force, you can't wait a couple of years for that new dreadnought hull, so you might only build 2 or 3 ships of a pre-dreadnought class.

I see the campaign mode adding new dynamics in designing that we're currently not touching on right now.  Do you build that one pre-dreadnought, or two cruisers?

Interestingly enough my Sat video (tomorrow 5/22) I focus on build time as the driving force for my battleship.  How fast can it be built, and what can I put on it, what factors change build time, etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wowzery said:

Interestingly enough my Sat video (tomorrow 5/22) I focus on build time as the driving force for my battleship.  How fast can it be built, and what can I put on it, what factors change build time, etc.

>shameless plug

lmao

• Like 1

I think the effect that Dreadnought had on previous generations of battleship is a bit overstated when historians say things like "it made every previous battleship obsolete overnight." While it's true it obsoleted other ships in a technical sense, it took many years for sufficient numbers of Dreadnoughts to be built to begin replacing the older ships. Better to have obsolete ships active in the fleet than the most advanced ships in the world sitting on the slips when war breaks out.

8 hours ago, Skoggatt said:

I think the effect that Dreadnought had on previous generations of battleship is a bit overstated when historians say things like "it made every previous battleship obsolete overnight." While it's true it obsoleted other ships in a technical sense, it took many years for sufficient numbers of Dreadnoughts to be built to begin replacing the older ships. Better to have obsolete ships active in the fleet than the most advanced ships in the world sitting on the slips when war breaks out.

Yep, you take several pre-dreadnoughts and they will probably beat a single dreadnought.  As the campaign mode comes out I think we'll see players trying to balance the money side as well.  You probably won't be able to afford that fleet of super battleships like we play design and will have to make several sacrifices like armor, speed and armament.

8 hours ago, BobRoss0902 said:

>shameless plug

lmao

Yeah.  Though, I did learn only a few things actually effect building times and it seemed relevant to the threat, talking about how long it takes to build a battleship.  Not sure many have actually focused on that aspect yet.

Interestingly enough, the number of turrets, superstructure selected, thickness of armor, armor type, all did not seem to effect building time.  Its the top slider, tonnage, and some aspects of propulsion, nothing else.