Game-Labs Forum

Mast hits / health revealed or hidden

Mast hits / health revealed or hidden  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should mast health and penetrating hits stay hidden, or time to reveal, please discuss why.

• Mast health and penetrating hits should be visible for both you and your opponent, on both ships.
    • Mast health and penetrating hits should be visible, but only for you on your own ship.
    • No, it should remain hidden

23 hours ago, Gregory Rainsborough said:

I think you can make an educated guess based on clan.

Ram Dinark has mast mods, some poor newbie won't.

Except that people make wrong assumptions and never bothered dismasting me. I have beat Pro dismasters in 1v1s because they assumed I had mods many times. There are loads of players I know that do not run mast mods because people make the wrong assumptions all the time. 

William has no idea how often he has not dismasted a good player because he thought they had mast mods... Its easy to go seal club and dismast. His assumption that he is right more than wrong is pure guesswork with no evidence to prove the contrary. Its a stupid argument and a stupid way of game balance. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 12:45 AM, John Cavanaugh said:

So is having a snow raking away and being unable to get decent damage on hull due to its turn rate and acceleration. 

The sailing model and raking damage that completely negates any need to engage side to side at any point NECESSITATE demasting. Because of this, ships like the Trinco are excellent against ships like Endy or Indef, which by conventional logic should have a distinct advantage. Turn rate, maneuverability, raking damage. Demasting levels that field, or at least it can. 

Youre right. If you have no masts you’re dead 90% of the time. And raking hull achieves this while also inflicting hull cannon and crew damage. Watch Moscalb’s streams. See him sniping masts as a default option very often? Not so much. But he will take EVERY opportunity to fire raking shots. It is hands down the most effective option in the vast majority of fights. You’ve fought my trinc in your snow, as an example. I believe you said I “raped [your] snow quite nicely.” First broadside hull since you gave it to me, second broadside chain since you let me, you repaired hull, so I cut your masts.

biggest reason people snipe masts is because the target sails in a way which allows it. You allowed it by proximity and sailing pattern. People sail side to side like idiots and try to out DPS because they’ve learned to think in terms of reload speed and damage. Bring carros and poods and British sergeant and you’re good to go. Or they try to stern camp to kill quickly. If you choose a tactic that lets you kill quick, you can get killed quick yourself. Boom and zoom has been forgotten because sailing has been simplified so much. Pick it up again and you’ll get mast sniped less. It’s called learning to play rather than relying on mods to hold your hand. If that’s too complicated, buy ships with heavy rig instead of very fast trim and slap some mast bands on there.

It's a long discussion.

The easiness of stern raking is son of unreal turning and sailing profiles... Still "needed" to make the game enjoyable (real 1800 naval fight was quite dull).

Still the sterncamping to death is less easy than depicted even if on a Snow: even vs. a mid level adversary on a much bigger ship a Snow has just 1-2 error allowance before dying or at least risking a lot.

The first strong hit on masts or on sails or hull (that's means receiving a single good broadside) lead to the decision to keep fighting or breaking off.

If the snow keeps fighting, he will die to the second error for the next 10 minutes.

The killing capacity of Snows (and similar ships sterncamping) is based on the low level of experience, even of a good share of veterans, on small ships - because all rush the big boys.

It's same rule with LRQ even when far stronger with super elite pirate rig and Redoutable muskets one year ago: if you really know her, you know how to fight and kill her. At that time I used a Privateer to hunt LRQs, to say.

The same with a pesty sterncamping snow.

16 hours ago, Licinio Chiavari said:

It's a long discussion.

The easiness of stern raking is son of unreal turning and sailing profiles... Still "needed" to make the game enjoyable (real 1800 naval fight was quite dull).

Still the sterncamping to death is less easy than depicted even if on a Snow: even vs. a mid level adversary on a much bigger ship a Snow has just 1-2 error allowance before dying or at least risking a lot.

The first strong hit on masts or on sails or hull (that's means receiving a single good broadside) lead to the decision to keep fighting or breaking off.

If the snow keeps fighting, he will die to the second error for the next 10 minutes.

The killing capacity of Snows (and similar ships sterncamping) is based on the low level of experience, even of a good share of veterans, on small ships - because all rush the big boys.

It's same rule with LRQ even when far stronger with super elite pirate rig and Redoutable muskets one year ago: if you really know her, you know how to fight and kill her. At that time I used a Privateer to hunt LRQs, to say.

The same with a pesty sterncamping snow.

“A” snow. By all means show screen of you defending a trinc against 2-4 snows without dismasting, or a 14+kn ship and a good upwind tag. 

Or against hercs, same proviso. 

1v1 is a far different scenario than any group fight, and we both know how frequently you find 1v1 fights these days. In order to kill a single snow, you are correct generally. A group a different prospect. Almost impossible to guard from repeated rakes by a small number of fast snows. 

Back to actual topic, 

Dismasting vs raking. Carros trinc vs mixed deck endy. Endy will almost certainly need to dismast, or will be raked, bow-graped, etc. to death quite quickly, ranged gunnery duel is of little help to endy except under very specific circumstances. 

Your proclivity to defend your preferred ships is noted. By all means respond to the rest of the post.