Game-Labs Forum

US campaign - first option to do only sea battle

I wanted to try the US campaign and when I got the first option to do either the land battle defending against the british invasion or focus on the sea battle I wanted to test the system and picked sea battle only even if I should easily be able to handle the land battle (I hope).

1/ When making this decission I would like more information about the consequences.
     Which rewards are offered for both missions and maybe see the missions before deciding?
2/ The missions I have to escape with the trade/troop ship from 5-6 enemy ships. I could fit in 2 smaller ships but I only had 1 ship available.
     My attempts to handle this didn´t go well because even though I tried to attack and draw the enemy ships away
     some of them just went straight for my slow ship. I feel like Im cornered already?

Any advice is ofcourse welcome but Im just writing it here for developers to see. This game either need a better introduction when starting the battle as to which options I should use og provice much better information before battle. Maybe even when deciding if I want to do land or sea battle.

PinkyDK

The rewards between the naval and land options are equal. The option was provided for players who want to avoid playing land battles as much as possible.

Sailing towards the top side of the map keeps the wind in the face of the enemy ships so you should be able to slip out through there. Just make try to keep your screening ships in between the transport and the enemy ships since the transport crew shocks very easily.

You can also capture both enemy ships in the first battle so you can bring 3 ships to the 2nd battle.

@sterner Maybe you could also introduce the option for players to recieve tips for missions and make the amount of reputation gained at the end of a mission dependent on the number of tips they used!?

The more tips used, the less reputation gained, but frustration forestalled.

Edited by Navalus Magnus

On 3/4/2020 at 4:16 PM, pandakraut said:

The rewards between the naval and land options are equal. The option was provided for players who want to avoid playing land battles as much as possible.

Sailing towards the top side of the map keeps the wind in the face of the enemy ships so you should be able to slip out through there. Just make try to keep your screening ships in between the transport and the enemy ships since the transport crew shocks very easily.

You can also capture both enemy ships in the first battle so you can bring 3 ships to the 2nd battle.

Hey Panda - Patchnotes stated you would not get the same economy but I'd still want to make a more qualified decision anyway.

Yes I could capture both ships in the first mission - but is this really a game where a player (maybe even a player not as skilled as us) will have to repeat missions and only move on from a perfect win for a chance to complete the rest of the game? I think that would make for a horrible gameplay considering only a very few percentage of players will be interested enough to nerd around on the forums like we do...

25 minutes ago, PinkyDK said:

Hey Panda - Patchnotes stated you would not get the same economy but I'd still want to make a more qualified decision anyway.

The in game post battle rewards are equal currently, confirmed the other day. However, the land battle gives you the opportunity to capture far more weapons so I think it's by far the optimal choice currently.

25 minutes ago, PinkyDK said:

Yes I could capture both ships in the first mission - but is this really a game where a player (maybe even a player not as skilled as us) will have to repeat missions and only move on from a perfect win for a chance to complete the rest of the game?

While it's usually optimal to capture everything, it's definitely not required. You can get through with far less than perfect play.

Edited by pandakraut

I get your point, PinkyDK, but my first time through the campaigns I did not have a clue what I "should" be doing, yet I still managed to achieve victory (medium hard level) through each sea and land battle.  In the first sea battle, I did not realize I could capture the two ships, so I just kept them at bay and got my critical assets to safety.  Yes, some of my subsequent victories were very close---in particular, I did not have sufficient land troops---but I managed.  So even "noobs" (which I clearly was) can complete the game and win.

I have never tried "easy" mode, so I can't say whether that mode is also useful for new players.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:16 AM, pandakraut said:

<You can also capture both enemy ships in the first battle so you can bring 3 ships to the 2nd battle.>  Hi Panda, are you sure about that?  I remember when I captured both ships and when I got to the harbor there was only 1 officer in the shop to put on only 1 ship so I could only bring 2 ships to that battle not 3.  Just saying maybe in your game you got more officers than I and more REP?

24 minutes ago, doublebuck said:

<You can also capture both enemy ships in the first battle so you can bring 3 ships to the 2nd battle.>  Hi Panda, are you sure about that?  I remember when I captured both ships and when I got to the harbor there was only 1 officer in the shop to put on only 1 ship so I could only bring 2 ships to that battle not 3.  Just saying maybe in your game you got more officers than I and more REP?

I did check my old save and I also only had one officer. Have not tried a new campaign to see if that is normal or not.

The naval battle is actually rather difficult at the moment even on easy, though I am generally not great at naval combat. Main issue is the transport is so slow that all 5 ships are on top off you before you're halfway there and the transport has no officer so it crew shocks and loses its course very easily. Can still win it with 2 ships, but it's hard not to lose one along with a decent amount of crew