Game-Labs Forum

Only Half Guns Fire

captinjoehenry

57 minutes ago, Ink said:

There is no bug, guns will not fire if they do not have a free fire arc, and this can be blocked by superstructure for example

Sorry if this wasn't clear but this is happening even when all turrets have firing arcs.  Even in such cases as giving the enemy ships a full broadside.  One volley will be all 4 turrets the next volley will be half the turrets and the volley after that will be all 4 turrets again without the turrets seeming to rotate at all.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2019 at 5:19 PM, captinjoehenry said:

Sorry if this wasn't clear but this is happening even when all turrets have firing arcs.  Even in such cases as giving the enemy ships a full broadside.  One volley will be all 4 turrets the next volley will be half the turrets and the volley after that will be all 4 turrets again without the turrets seeming to rotate at all.

I can confirm that, even with different config (three turrets with dual 17 inchers). First salvo full, second salvo only one turret fires. And this keeps on alternating. No course change whatsoever, fully aimed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen this quite often, myself.  Not so much "half the turrets," as only one turret actually fires.  This is despite never losing lock on the targeted ship between salvos, nor changing course and losing gun arc.  I'm paused in a battle as I write this where my Hull H with four turrets has been alternating every other salvo between firing all turrets and only firing one for the entire engagement thus far.

I would also point out that this is nothing new - I brought this subject up on the forums last fall.

@KiloZulu Greetings, could you please make a screenshot once the problem happens again and post it somewhere on imgur.com or similar service?

13 hours ago, KiloZulu said:

I've seen this quite often, myself.  Not so much "half the turrets," as only one turret actually fires. 

it is probably ladder aiming

Hi there Ink, I can confirm it's happening as described.

I have a ship with 3 twin gun mounts, 6 guns total. Seen the bow turret fire, or the 2 rear turrets. Then all of them.

I have a suspicion it might relate to an over-sensitivity to bearing changes. Despite all the guns being on target, starting a turn can seem to make some of the turrets fire and others not. That doesn't make any sense as they're the same mounts, so if one turret can do what's necessary to fire, why not all of them?

It's clear the main guns do NOT go from ladder aiming to firing full salvoes, which is technically incorrect in the sense that main fire control station, certainly in later years, "pulled the triggers" (literally in some cases if you look at images from them). In other words, it wasn't the turret captains responsible for doing so. The crew of each gun got it loaded, that was then signalled to the turret captain and repeated to fire control. The gun crews wouldn't know exactly when their gun would fire, other than a warning tone I believe, which must have been rather nerve-wracking.

I wonder if the game isn't having a problem around how it tracks when guns are loaded and thus holding to fire them all? I ask because I've seen my ship fire one aft turret in ladder aiming yet IMMEDIATELY fire the other aft turret while the gunnery shows as 'locked'. It then reloads and fires all 3 turrets.

In short, there seem to be various odd things with respect to loading, aiming and firing sequences. Sure, navies did things differently (Bismarck is known to have fired her main battery as half salvoes for at least part of the time she was firing at Hood; you can see it on the famous footage, I think, but it's well known from survivors on both sides), but I don't think what we're seeing is necessarily intentional.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Steeltrap said:

I have a suspicion it might relate to an over-sensitivity to bearing changes

This sounds similar to something I reported months ago (with pictures!), if you turn the ship 180 degrees the weapons starts firing again.

But Nick dismissed it as an inconclusive report but now it look likes it's still persisting (if it's the same).

Edited by Skeksis

2 hours ago, Skeksis said:

This sounds similar to something I reported months ago (with pictures!), if you turn the ship 180 degrees the weapons starts firing again.

But Nick dismissed it as an inconclusive report but now it look likes it's still persisting (if it's the same).

I had 2 of my secondary gun turrets get 'stuck' recently as they turned forwards trying to track a target. Couldn't get them unstuck. Have pics, too.

You might find this one I posted some time ago interesting as it also falls within "gun firing peculiarities":

Edited by Steeltrap

13 hours ago, PNUT said:

Anyone had their Main guns on bb just stop firing altogether?  I dont even want to play anymore it's happening so much.

Greetings,

If you have an option to capture the problem on video - it would help a lot to investigate and understand the problem as we have checked the similar ingame reports and found no issues and reproduces there.

Just to clarify - have you checked the main gun firing mode is in aggressive position?