Game-Labs Forum

Suggestion question for Devs re shallow water ports.

r6751

Question

Presently I am stuck trying to deliver goods to a shallow water port. Realistically, my ship could unload into boats from anchor point to docks.

If not that, I should be able to row ashore to purchase any available small ship.  I should be able to transfer cargo between ships in port.

Then I could take my small ship to the dock and deliver.

I noticed that towing into port was possible, took time, and failed several times.  Unloading into boats too would take time, as does ditching cargo overboard.

The logical thing to do is lighten ship. I dumped my fish, salt, and provisions but it didn't help.  The unloading by boats should not involve any visuals, except perhaps a message that it is happening, and that it will take time. Help us out there, guys!!

3 answers to this question

You can only enter a shallow port in a shallow draft ship. For traders, that means a trader brig, trader lynx, trader cutter and (previously forgotten) trader snow (thanks @Angus MacDuff). Unfortunately there is no equivalent in game of off shore unloading unless one used two players or an alt. 

Edited by Farrago
forgot a trader snow

What a cool idea.

Imagine deep hull ship waiting in deep water while smaller ships shuttled out material from the shallow water port.  It could require an outpost in the shallow water port and while the deep hull ship waited it would be vulnerable to attack.

Another option would be to send fleet ships from the deep water ship into port.  The mechanics could resemble fishing.  It might take hours to fill a Traders Brig.  And while waiting the deep water ship would be open to attack.  Using long boats could be like very slow fishing and  take many hours for the transfer of hundreds of tons.

Currently players of the same nation can work together, one with shallow water ships trading in OW to supply another player with deep hull ships.

• Like 1