Game-Labs Forum

For Reference - Naval Ops Playstation 2

Laux

Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

I think for a good reference concerning this game's customization, games such as Naval Ops Warship Gunner and Naval Ops Commander should be looked at, at least for comparing and possibly improving/implementing the design phase. 

Considering there isn't really any dedicated videos on this game and other in the series this is the best i can provide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9JZB7hj0I&list=PLH0DrkuqnKuPXnBcESjfbglWhqAFUSWDN

Image result for naval ops warship gunner design

Now designing like this is possible with the 3D aspect currently in the game, the limitations so far i have came across during gameplay were the restrictions to where you could place certain guns and structures on board you're design ship. The reference i'm providing has no such restrictions unless its ridiculous as seen above (it doesn't fit). If the game is trying to improve and make it more fun i think this kind of design process would really increase creativity with designs. Although you could restrict this somewhat for a more realistic designer if that is what this game is striving toward instead. 

Overall i would highly recommend this game as a reference at least, the link i provided also contains a playlist if you feel like skimming through it to check the design process.

Finally the premise of the game i feel is very good, and considering its in alpha stages i really hope this can help in streamlining the design.

Edited by Laux

1 hour ago, Laux said:

Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

I think for a good reference concerning this game's customization, games such as Naval Ops Warship Gunner and Naval Ops Commander should be looked at, at least for comparing and possibly improving/implementing the design phase. 

Considering there isn't really any dedicated videos on this game and other in the series this is the best i can provide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9JZB7hj0I&list=PLH0DrkuqnKuPXnBcESjfbglWhqAFUSWDN

Image result for naval ops warship gunner design

Now designing like this is possible with the 3D aspect currently in the game, the limitations so far i have came across during gameplay were the restrictions to where you could place certain guns and structures on board you're design ship. The reference i'm providing has no such restrictions unless its ridiculous as seen above (it doesn't fit). If the game is trying to improve and make it more fun i think this kind of design process would really increase creativity with designs. Although you could restrict this somewhat for a more realistic designer if that is what this game is striving toward instead. 

Overall i would highly recommend this game as a reference at least, the link i provided also contains a playlist if you feel like skimming through it to check the design process.

Finally the premise of the game i feel is very good, and considering its in alpha stages i really hope this can help in streamlining the design.

It was a fun game there is a number two as well and an offshoot game called warship commander.  ( warship commander was not as good as warship gunner though ) 

Yeah same, I've been playing the game on and off and it reminded me so much about Naval Ops that I bought into it. The restrictions were also the first thing I noticed. Having a Barbette restricted to specific places in the ship, or restrictions overall, can really limit designs functionally. I tried making a rear secondary layout similar to the Richelieu or some other superfiring secondary gun layout and it's quite restrictive in-game at the moment. 

Naval Ops really had a wonderfully detailed design phase and I would absolutely love to something of the sort in Dreadnaught. I can already see myself spending a lot of time in this game, and I hope at some point we get either something like it, or something remarkably advanced in the design phase. 

4 hours ago, Marder said:

Yeah same, I've been playing the game on and off and it reminded me so much about Naval Ops that I bought into it. The restrictions were also the first thing I noticed. Having a Barbette restricted to specific places in the ship, or restrictions overall, can really limit designs functionally. I tried making a rear secondary layout similar to the Richelieu or some other superfiring secondary gun layout and it's quite restrictive in-game at the moment. 

Naval Ops really had a wonderfully detailed design phase and I would absolutely love to something of the sort in Dreadnaught. I can already see myself spending a lot of time in this game, and I hope at some point we get either something like it, or something remarkably advanced in the design phase. 

Funny you should mention restriction, that was one of the first thing i noticed too. In warship gunner you could place whatever you wanted wherever you wanted. Maybe this will change over time, fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Maybe if enough attention is brought to this changes can be made to simplify and expand the design phase to a much better and more fun experience, the game-play is good so far and changes to the designer will make lots of hours of creative fun. One strife i have is the mount mechanic for the structures when creating the ship, taking the mounts out for these structures would be a step in the right direction, it does make placement very annoying. Having more placement freedom is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, yes! All this talk made me fire the game up and have a go at the game myself. Carriers are even more powerful than I remember. Even this puny 26 plane carrier wiped the floor with the boss ship. I was careless and took a lot of damage from land based missiles, and almost died.

No idea why it's got no sound, it was booming loud in game and I couldn't adjust it, guess the game's just too old.

Edited by goduranus

For another reference, look for Pacific Theatre of Operations IV from PS2. I heard it has PC version but Ive never found one for PC. It has campaign, it has aircraft carrier, you can design the ships too. Ive read the blog about how the campaign would look like, and it instantly reminds me of PTO IV but in steroids. I really wish that this game will come just like that, better if it has more ship design! Also, some historical layout would be welcomed too!