Game-Labs Forum

Inclined Armor Belt

Microscop

This option seems to be missing. I propose allowing us to chose from vertical, 10 degree, 15 and 20 inclination especially on more modern hulls altough even Hood built during ww1 had inclined belt already.

Inclined armor is especially effective at range where combined shell angle of impact and armor inclination combined result in over 30 degree angle which not only increases los thickness of the armor but also makes it far more likely for the shell to ricochet.

Edited by Microscop

10 hours ago, Microscop said:

This option seems to be missing. I propose allowing us to chose from vertical, 10 degree, 15 and 20 inclination especially on more modern hulls altough even Hood built during ww1 had inclined belt already.

Inclined armor is especially effective at range where combined shell angle of impact and armor inclination combined result in over 30 degree angle which not only increases los thickness of the armor but also makes it far more likely for the shell to ricochet.

The inclination of the armor depends on the hull you choose I guess, for example the Yamato hull has an inclined armor, the main belt is externally visible

Thats cool but i wonder if it's taken into account by the game at this point or just a visual.

Also it would be nice to have it as separate option when designing a ship in the tab where we chose citadel protection, bulheads etc. Just add a belt armor button with 4 options to chose ranging from from vertical to 20 degrees.

Edited by Microscop

1 hour ago, Jay Gatsby said:

The inclination of the armor depends on the hull you choose I guess, for example the Yamato hull has an inclined armor, the main belt is externally visible

While that is probably true at the moment, I too feel that this should be a little more under the direct control of the player. I mean, I do just in general hope that we will at some point have more control over the hull form in general than just being able to choose a premade hull.

Edited by Niomedes

2 hours ago, Niomedes said:

While that is probably true at the moment, I too feel that this should be a little more under the direct control of the player. I mean, I do just in general hope that we will at some point have more control over the hull form in general than just being able to choose a premade hull.

Not at the moment because we have pre-built hulls, perhaps in the future the hulls will be completely customizable

• Like 1

i think this is quite important especially late game

example a 20 degree incline (what most ww2 battleships had) on a 350mm plate (around everage for ww2 bbs) results in armor which is around 372mm as effective 

accounting for bullet drop of the shell which at around 14km distance is 10 degrees results in an effective thickness of 404mm armor

which means if you have 350mm inclined armor at 20 degrees it applies an extra 2 inches of armor when being hit at 14km distance and an extra inch when being hit at point blank

the important part this then stacks on top of angling the ship

so if a ship was lets say 10 degrees off a direct broadside to the enemy at 14km

it would be 10 degree angle + 10 degree fall of enemy shot + 20 degree inclined armor total of 40 degree effective angle

and now the 350mm armor is effectively around 450 mm thick 

decreasing the angle to enemy from 80 degrees to 70 would increase the armor thickness to 540 mm as the angle goes from 40 degrees to 50 degrees (that the enemy shot hits at)

a ship at point blank range with 20 degree inclined belt and angled at 60 degrees towards the enemy from broadside (combined angle the shell hits at is 50 degrees) (complete broadside is 90 degrees to the enemy) results in 540mm thick armor at point blank range (granted most ww2 naval guns had EFF pen limits upwards of 21 inches (530mm) up to 6km and most guns from ww2 could pen atleast 25 inches at point blank range)

source for penetration and fall of shot from ww2 guns http://www.navweaps.com/index_nathan/Penetration_index.php

gun used for fall of shot japanese 16.1 inch gun

gun used to compare penetration at point blank also japanese 16.1 inch gun

if there is a wish for it i could run the gun through FACEHARD to see if the gun would pen a 350mm us class B plate at 50 degree angle at point blank

its to be noted armor values arent effected too much until around the 35-40 degree mark beyond that the effective thickness starts to massively increase and beyond 60 degrees even thin plates can be invulnerable to large caliber projectiles

for example at 50 degrees angle 350mm armor has around 540mm effective thickness

at 60 degrees angle it has around 700mm effective thickness

where as an increase of 10 degrees from 0-10 degress barely gives it 5 mm more armor 

source for effective thickness of angled armor

https://panzerworld.com/relative-armor-calculator?armor_thickness=350&angle_type=sine&angle_1=40&angle_2=90

(you can also math it out but it takes a bit more work)

this is also why the french pre dread sloped armor layout was not "that" bad because in 1890 to 1900 firecontrol was so bad you would likely be engaging at sub 3 km range which also meant that the impact angle would be around 3 degrees at most (very low) while the armor was sloped at 30-20 degrees 

but as firing ranges increased angle of impact increased and the tradeoffs of that hullform were no longer usefull 

Edited by Christian
  • Like 1