Game-Labs Forum

Update to system requirements ?

contact

What is your budget and how much would the build you show above cost you?
From first look this smells fishy. Why anyone would say that a PSU upgrade is reccomended for VR Gaming is beyond me as it basically only depends on the built in hardware and not what type games you play with it. Don't know which shop that picture is from but it seems... weird...

• Like 1

It depends what game you are trying to play.

I play Naval Action and used to play ARMA3.  I use the i7 2600k (never overclocked), which is basically the i7 2600, and I'm happy with it, but Benchmark writes:  With a relatively low single core score, this CPU can handle email, light web browsing and basic audio/video playback, but it will struggle to handle CPU intensive tasks. Finally, with a gaming score of 31.7%, this CPUs suitability for 3D gaming is below average.

You can check out these sites:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Farseer said:

What is your budget and how much would the build you show above cost you?
From first look this smells fishy. Why anyone would say that a PSU upgrade is reccomended for VR Gaming is beyond me as it basically only depends on the built in hardware and not what type games you play with it. Don't know which shop that picture is from but it seems... weird...

Hi,

Thanks  for reply 

It says Dell. 

It’s refurbished but not by Dell.

£622

I can go higher on price.

Happy to pay within reason for a good machine.

Any suggestions on suitable machines please

Thanks

Edited by contact
Error

2 hours ago, Immersive Ganking said:

Would not buy that computer at all from this shop. It only tells the PC is coming from Dell, but there is no info on manufacturer of the RAM, SSD, HDD, PSU and Monitor.

Also NVidia GTX 1650? 4GB of VRAM isn't really up-to-date. A Radeon RX 580 is about the same price, faster and offers a whopping 8GB of VRAM.

If you ONLY want to play Naval Action this computer might be just fine, but if you also want to play more modern games like Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey or Tomb Raider, Battlefield ect. you won't have fun with this computer.

Hi,

The sort of games I’m interested in are along the lines of UG (I play this on an iMac) and now of course Naval Action.

Assassins Creed etc not really my cup of tea.

2 hours ago, Macjimm said:

It depends what game you are trying to play.

I play Naval Action and used to play ARMA3.  I use the i7 2600k (never overclocked), which is basically the i7 2600, and I'm happy with it, but Benchmark writes:  With a relatively low single core score, this CPU can handle email, light web browsing and basic audio/video playback, but it will struggle to handle CPU intensive tasks. Finally, with a gaming score of 31.7%, this CPUs suitability for 3D gaming is below average.

You can check out these sites:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com/

Hi

Many thanks. My interests are along the lines of UG ( play on an iMac) and of course Naval Actions.

Any suggestions please on a suitable machine.

Many thanks

12 hours ago, Liberalism said:

I disagree with 4GB comment. 4GB is enough for the majority of the games, only the very latest titles require more like 5-6GB and that's on very high graphic settings, not even needed to run the games. There are many videos checking if we really need more at the moment than 4GB VRAM. Of course SOME games can use more than 4GB, but @contact is not interested in playing the latest AAA titles at 144 fps and ultra settings :)

I disagree with your disagreement :D
Depending on choice of game even on lowered settings 4GB can be too little. Just look at all the Unreal Engine 4 games
lately that don't even look that great on lower settings and still have atrocious hunger for hardware (think ARK or PUBG etc). Especially memory of all kinds is treated as virtually infinitely available more often than not. If @contact want's to have the option of trying out other games in the future 8GB VRAM is a more solid choice.

@contact this PC is a bit pricier than the one you posted above but has newer, more powerful components and will be able to run most stuff in FHD for the near to mid future.
You can use it as an orientation if you want to look for a new build. Also, buying comparable components and building it yourself might save you a few bucks (and can be great fun, if you like that kind of stuff).

Edited by Tom Farseer
  • Like 1

If you're happy with 60 fps and 1080p resolution then all you need is a 1060 graphics card and a balanced system around that. 

If you want a bigger monitor, higher resolution  and frame rates you're going to need significantly more horsepower especially for battles with 20 or more ships.

Personally I'd pick out the best monitor you can afford and build a system that can push the game titles you play at the frame rates you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Morgan said:

If you're happy with 60 fps and 1080p resolution then all you need is a 1060 graphics card and a balanced system around that. 

If you want a bigger monitor, higher resolution  and frame rates you're going to need significantly more horsepower especially for battles with 20 or more ships.

Personally I'd pick out the best monitor you can afford and build a system that can push the game titles you play at the frame rates you want. 

Hi,

Thanks for that.

Must admit I would want at least a 21.5” monitor. This is the size of my iMac which I play Ultimate General on.

Best wishes